Has anyone ever tried this on an AGA 5.5?

OIIIIIO

I was thinking of doing a false wall/overflow with an MJ600, but since I have an AC50 laying around I might use it instead and not have to give up room in the tank. Will 200gph be enough for a 5.5? The math says so, but the way the water is delivered, I'm not sure if the flow would reach the end of the tank. for lighting,

I'm going to DIY the stand and canopy to cover the back 4" of the tank including the AC50 so the total length of the system will be 20" instead of 16". In doing this, I'll be able to use the stronger 18" lights (maybe 96w quad) and use the AC50 as a small fuge.

Any ideas or suggestions?

post-18064-1147881389_thumb.jpgpost-18064-1147881951_thumb.jpg

I have seen some mods like this in the DIY section. The people who make them usually call them "surface skimmer attachments".

The designs that I have seen usully make use of a larger diameter pipe with a cap on the end, like this:

filter%20intake%20surface%20skimmer.jpg

I have seen some mods like this in the DIY section. The people who make them usually call them "surface skimmer attachments".

I have that part of it designed fine (will be using a cutup black in/out office paper bin). What I'm worried about is the return of water to the tank. With the way an HOB filter pours a sheet of water into the tank, will that sheet of water ever reach the end of the tank or will it just dissipate too quickly leaving dead spots in the "front" of my tank.

I guess I could run a test with food coloring and film it, but was hoping someone out there has had experience with it (good or bad).

ReefApprentice

why not make overflow bigger and put in a powerhead

... will that sheet of water ever reach the end of the tank or will it just dissipate too quickly leaving dead spots in the "front" of my tank.

I don't know about that, but I do know that I have an AC70 (formerly called the AC300) on my 5.5g and I don't think it is enough flow.

I could easly add another 100+gph to the tank to keep things moving around.

I thought of that, but I'm trying to keep as much equipment outside of the tank as possible. My 20g has three power heads that I hate looking at. Eventually they will be going bye-bye for a closed loop. I might just have to either suck it up and add a PH, or try to route PVC around the HOB for a CL in the 5.5.

why not make overflow bigger and put in a powerhead
I don't know about that, but I do know that I have an AC70 (formerly called the AC300) on my 5.5g and I don't think it is enough flow.

I could easly add another 100+gph to the tank to keep things moving around.

Wow, and that's 300gph. Yeah, I might have to do some PVC stuff with a CL since I only have .5” of room on each side of the AC50. With a canopy, it shouldn’t be visible other then the 1” or so of the PVC elbow that’ll be dipping into the water. I’m thinking of routing ½” PVC all the way to the front of the tank and have water returned from multiple tee or elbow connections.

The other choice is revert back to the original design of having a false wall 5” from the end using baffles and have a stronger pump like an MJ600.

Archived