Cutting the back of an Aquapod

owenz

Has anyone cut any of the back section of their Aquapod away to perform the famous refugium mod that's been so successful for nanocube owners?

If so, I'd love to hear about any tips or problems .... as I will soon be trying this mod myself.

Has anyone cut any of the back section of their Aquapod away to perform the famous refugium mod that's been so successful for nanocube owners?

If so, I'd love to hear about any tips or problems .... as I will soon be trying this mod myself.

i'm thinking it will work.

I cut the film away from my center two chambers.

I used a straight-edge and a utility knife to cut a two vertical lines at the borders between the inner two and outer two chambers. I then removed the blade from the utiliy knife and used it like a straight-edge razor blade to scrape the plastic film off. You can get big sheets started this way and then peel them off. I used the blade to scrape up most of the residue and then wiped what was left with acetone.

I have some chaeto in both center chambers. It's growing, but I can't say that it's helping my water quality in a noticible way. I still have high phosphates and nitrates.

Jeremy

I have some chaeto in both center chambers. It's growing, but I can't say that it's helping my water quality in a noticible way. I still have high phosphates and nitrates.

Cool, I will use the same method.

Re: nitrates. There is growth and then there is growth. My understanding is that your cheato needs to be at least doubling in size each month before you really reap the benefits in terms of reducted nitrates and phosphates. Still, it's benefitial even if it's not growing at that rate..

I did this to my 12g AP. I cut the black vinyl at the back corners and peeled it of the entire back of the tank. I custom made a fuge light fixture and now I just need to get some chaeto.

I performed the mod last night. Cut out a section of the back, then hung a small CF fixture from the back of the tank using fishing line. Will post some pics at some point.

Archived