SaltCritters.com

green vs. spotted mandarin

t0mmyb0y

i was thinkin about getting a mandarin in a few months so i'm doing my homework now. just wondering if there are any differences between the 2 in terms of behavior, feeding habits, hardiness, etc...and which you'd recommend.

anyone with experience with these guys i'd like to hear from ya...

green: 0

spotted: 0

wwildcats04

spotted are smaller so in turn eat less pods so that makes them a little easier

What size is your tank, how longs it been set up, and do you have a fuge?

scarf_ace1981

i think feeding requirements, behavior and hardiness are the same for both. a well established tank w/ an abundance of pods is the way to go. i've seen both of these kept in one tank. granted it's a 90g. i think these are a good fish for nano tanks unless they eat prepared foods. if they are eating prepared foods your chances of keeping one are better

i think these are a good fish for nano tanks unless they eat prepared foods.

I beleive what ace meant was that they are NOT a good fish for a nano, right? I would say they are not, at least. They can consume the entire population of pods in a small tank in a matter of days, and many will not accept prepared foods. Have you researched this fish?

my 24g nano reef is about 7 months now, so i won't be gettin a mandarin anytime soon. i do plan on startin up a fuge since having a mandarin without one is downright cruel and ignorant.

don't know if you guys are in so cal but the guys at pacific reef in fountain valley told me that their mandarins have been eating frozen mysis as well as copepods, so i'm keeping that lfs in mind if and when i'm ready to become a new daddy.

i've heard that a 24g is small for one, but i've also heard that it's not impossible as long as i have a constant copepod supply. and since the spotted one tends to be relatively smaller, i'll be leaning towards it more than the green.

just trying to soak all this good stuff up so thanks a ton guys and keep on edumicating me...

btw, how fast do copepods reproduce? do i have to wait forever for a good size population to grow to feed one mandarin?

ReefApprentice

They can eat one bottle of copepods per sitting. Need tons, so getting one not on frozen is not plausible. Need to wait and find one on frozen.

...don't know if you guys are in so cal but the guys at pacific reef in fountain valley told me that their mandarins have been eating frozen mysis as well as copepods, so i'm keeping that lfs in mind if and when i'm ready to become a new daddy...

I'd ask the lfs to feed them the mysis for you to see (just to make sure). Also, some individual fish will accept frozen food, while some won't. These guys can supposidly scrape a 24 gallon clean of pods in a day. So it's not much of an option in a small tank, you need one eating prepared foods.

good points...i will definitely have the lfs feed a couple of them some mysis. could you guys tell me the different types of food your mandarins eat?

Archived