Coral Vue Hydros

Problems with Rios

AMichael

The two Rios I have seem to only really work about half of the time. Usually I have to keep turning them on/off until they finally kick in right, and even then there's no guarantee that it'll stay running right for long and they're both practically brand new. Just wanted to know if anyone else's does than same thing and if there is anything I can do to fix it or do I just need to toss them all together?

minireefkeeper26

Never had a rio go bad. It could be that it is just conditioning to the tank. Saltwater is very corrosive and hard on parts. If it was mine I would take it out and take it apart. Try to see if something is stuck in there. At least rinse it with freshwater and try it again. If it still does it, I would contact rio and let them know, or the place you bought it, see if you can return it or something. I have a tiny rio powerhead in my 10 gallon. I have had it a week and its still going strong. I have had rio's in my freshwater for years, no problems. I have a micro jet 450 in the 10 gallon reef for 8 months, that little powerhead kicks ass.

Rios just plain suck. They run hot, are not reliable, noisey, and have been known to break and leak oil (causing tank crash).

The micro jets are great little pumps though and the maxi jets are great reliable pumps also although a little on the larger size.

supersecretshinto
Rios just plain suck. They run hot, are not reliable, noisey, and have been known to break and leak oil (causing tank crash).

The micro jets are great little pumps though and the maxi jets are great reliable pumps also although a little on the larger size.

I have had a rio running 24/7 as my main return pump for the past 5mo or so. At first it did run a little hot but that stopped after a day or two. I thought it just needed some break-in-time. I have heard alot of horror stories about them so I will probably go with something else next time (where there is smoke there is usually fire) but it is working good so far. I will say this, the flow control valves they come with are shoit! The knobs can pop off and spray water everywhere!

minireefkeeper26

Now i am scared about my rio. My first rio I bought for saltwater, i have only had it for a week. I have had my micro jet for 8 months or so, maybe I will get another micro jet and use the rio in my freshwater. I don't want a crash that's for sure.

Archived