Pod Your Reef

Nano Chillers...

Micro-Reefs Aquariums

Micro-Reefs Aquariums

Reefers,

My 6 gallon is cycled and ready for play, but one important element is not installed, the chiller...

I was waiting for JBJ to launch their nano chiller but after I got off the phone with them, they will not release it until the end of July so that plan is scratched...

There are three nano chillers that have been on my mind and I have narrowed it down to only two...

The ICE probe didn't make the cut because you have to drill into the tank and even if you do that, it can only bring down the tank 6-8 degrees on a 20 gallon tank and from reviews is not that adequate at that.

Teclima Micro Chiller is a cute nano size chiller that I have wanted for quite some time. It's only 8 x 6 x 8.4 footprint and even has a nice design where it could fit into any decor; only draw back is that Tongs in Fountain Valley wants $369.00 big ones for it, that's the sale price, regular price is $399.

The runner up is made by Pacific coast chillers which has a good reputation on chillers. This nano sized chiller is 8.5 x 10 x 8.4 only slighty larger than the teclima and has a decent design to it; best part is the price only $233 shipping would be an additional $12 dollars no tax since it's from Arizona.

Here are the links to both:

http://www.fritzpet.com/chillermicro.html

http://www.marineandreef.com/shoppro/chillers.html

Thanks

xom5gi.jpg

VS

xom5w0.jpg

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Fishfreak218

I vote Pacific Coast...

BUT

i just ordered a 1/10 HP chiller from Big Als website and with shipping it was $363.94.. i know it a little over kill and its Coralife.. but really i have NEVER had a problem w/ coralife and it will probably run less which means less on your electricity bill... (possibly)

How about a FAN? Iceprobe chillers will bring a TEN gallon tank down 2-3 degrees; a 20, around A degree. A fan, on the other hand, brought down my 30 in a heat wave from 85 to 79. Just a regular 7" clip-on desk fan.

You can also run your photoperiod later, to avoid the hottest part of the day--my halides run from 5PM to midnight.

Fishfreak218

i ran a fan.. and really Mike. i dont think it would be the best idea unless your going with an ATO.. i had a fan on ym 30g. and it did GREAT... turned tank down from 87-88 to 78 (when hurricanes came).. but SO much evaporation.. iot was crazy.. also my temps werent completly stable. more like 1 degree fluctuations throughout the day..

Micro-Reefs Aquariums
How about a FAN? Iceprobe chillers will bring a TEN gallon tank down 2-3 degrees; a 20, around A degree. A fan, on the other hand, brought down my 30 in a heat wave from 85 to 79. Just a regular 7" clip-on desk fan.

You can also run your photoperiod later, to avoid the hottest part of the day--my halides run from 5PM to midnight.

I like these options you are giving me, I'd save a ton on savings but what about the evaporation rate? We are talking about a 6 gallon cube with open top; that's a lot of evaporation already without the introduction of a fan.

MG

i ran a fan.. and really Mike. i dont think it would be the best idea unless your going with an ATO.. i had a fan on ym 30g. and it did GREAT... turned tank down from 87-88 to 78 (when hurricanes came).. but SO much evaporation.. iot was crazy.. also my temps werent completly stable. more like 1 degree fluctuations throughout the day..

I'm leaning more on a fan first, but how bad will the evaporation be on an open top 6 gallon cube?

All my tanks in the past including my 72 gallon have glass lids...

MG

What you should do is just wait out the summer, when the temps get too hot use sandwich bags full of ice, then get the jbj nano cooler.

MiKE

Im using a 120 watt Azoo Peltier design chiller...I will get a compressor design next time...I had it in a fairly open stand with fan blowing on the chiller...Already having problems this summer (mississippi= hot)...figured the stand was the problem so I moved it to the floor behind the tank/stand (got it off the wall due to HOB Cpr fuge anyways)...bought a small 7 dollar fan from wal mart and have it on low blowing on the chiller...WORKS much better now.

The chiller/heater combo works well on heat but chilling...2 things to consider, it creates a lot of heat to cool, and the gph must be at a slow enough rate for the water to be chilled before going back to tank. Mine recommended 50 gph pump...but you have to take into consideration of a 4 foot head (easilly can be controlled with a ball valve if larger pump is used).

Also a little noisey with fan and the fans from the chiller itself running.

few specs-- 18 gal finnex...2.5 fuge...most heat comes from 4 pumps in sump...130 watt PC

Izzue

Micro-Reefs Aquariums
MiKE

Im using a 120 watt Azoo Peltier design chiller...I will get a compressor design next time...I had it in a fairly open stand with fan blowing on the chiller...Already having problems this summer (mississippi= hot)...figured the stand was the problem so I moved it to the floor behind the tank/stand (got it off the wall due to HOB Cpr fuge anyways)...bought a small 7 dollar fan from wal mart and have it on low blowing on the chiller...WORKS much better now.

The chiller/heater combo works well on heat but chilling...2 things to consider, it creates a lot of heat to cool, and the gph must be at a slow enough rate for the water to be chilled before going back to tank. Mine recommended 50 gph pump...but you have to take into consideration of a 4 foot head (easilly can be controlled with a ball valve if larger pump is used).

Also a little noisey with fan and the fans from the chiller itself running.

few specs-- 18 gal finnex...2.5 fuge...most heat comes from 4 pumps in sump...130 watt PC

Izzue

Izzue,

Thanks for your input. Would it be possible to see pictures of your setup? I just got off the phone with a major distributor of the Teclima Chiller and they don't carry it any more, too much money and no market for it...

He did say you need to make sure the fan is working at all times becuase the block gets very hot and that's how the cooling works. I have my experience with peltizier cooling from my two 12 gallon jbj cubes...

Pacific Coast is brand new, has just entered the market and is so much cheaper; only problem is I think the Teclima is stronger it can pull down 10 degrees on a 32 gallon tank whereas the Pacific Coast can only do that on a 20 gallon...

Teclima even states that it can pull 20 degrees on a 22 gallon tank; and here I have a 6 gallon cube but a MASSIVE METAL HALIDE OVER IT....

I can get the Teclima from a LFS down in Los Angeles or I can invest in ATO and large fan and wait out untill JBJ comes out with theres...

JBJ will be compressor they have told me that and it will be the size of a very small mini tower PC case...

I just wish the Teclima was cheaper, what I did hear about their performance is great. The distributor said they sold a lot of these little units to laboratories all over the country that needed to chill very small volumes of water...

I suppose I'd be in that category if I didn't have a massive Metal Halide causing so much heat....

MG

Okay, my post didn't post. Gah. Long story short: as mentioned, the Iceprobes and Titans and so on (and maybe the new JBJ? I know nothing about it) are Peltier chillers, which use a small fan and heatsink, and thus are grossly inefficient compared to a freon-type chiller (the classic large ones). In a 6, it may bring it down maybe five degrees maximum. I don't think it's worth it, honestly.

How about a fan and an auto-topoff? The latter can be as simple as a milk jug and a couple of pieces of airline tubing.

Addendum: Do you have an enclosed hood, or a hanging pendant? My 16 has a 150-hqi over it, a foot above, and it's always at 81 (heater's set at 79-80). No fan or anything. I pushed my photoperiod, probably already mentioned, to 5PM-midnight.

Micro-Reefs Aquariums
Okay, my post didn't post. Gah. Long story short: as mentioned, the Iceprobes and Titans and so on (and maybe the new JBJ? I know nothing about it) are Peltier chillers, which use a small fan and heatsink, and thus are grossly inefficient compared to a freon-type chiller (the classic large ones). In a 6, it may bring it down maybe five degrees maximum. I don't think it's worth it, honestly.

How about a fan and an auto-topoff? The latter can be as simple as a milk jug and a couple of pieces of airline tubing.

Addendum: Do you have an enclosed hood, or a hanging pendant? My 16 has a 150-hqi over it, a foot above, and it's always at 81 (heater's set at 79-80). No fan or anything. I pushed my photoperiod, probably already mentioned, to 5PM-midnight.

Ceasar777,

Thanks for your input. The JBJ according to JBJ officials is going to be a small compressor and not peltzier design...

It looks like I'm going to try a fan and the ATO untill July when the launch there chiller...

With only 6 gallons of volume I'm reluctant to want a lot of evaporation, it's already a lot and I'm not even using the light...

Here is a pick of my setup so you can have an idea what I'm working with...

xq01gg.jpg

xq01oi.jpg

I know from personal experience that thermo electric chillers dont always work. My ice probe could cool my 5 gallon nano a single degree because my house is always over 85 degrees during the summer ( the curse of living in an old house with no ac in a hot climate). Wait untill July for the JBJ. I love my JBJ chiller and wouldn't trade it for anything.

Cool,w hat kind of system is that JBJ chiller, then, out of curiosity? Got a link?

Also, how high up is the light, and what wattage?

Micro-Reefs Aquariums
Cool,w hat kind of system is that JBJ chiller, then, out of curiosity? Got a link?

Also, how high up is the light, and what wattage?

Caesar777,

There is no link on the JBJ chiller since it's not out until july; but the rep said it was a compressor and the size of a very small mini computer tower...

A very reputable LFS ownder Ken at Aquarium Concepts personally saw it in action one month ago at a Los Angeles convention, he said it was a compressor...

I'm looking for performance and quietness because it's going into my bedroom and I need to sleep and don't need all this heat blowing all over me...

That's why the Teclima looked so well, it's so small and quiet and every says great performance on small tanks, we are talking about a 6 gallon here, everyone else seems to have 18 gallons or 24 and they give back bad feedback.

My light is 150 watt MH from coralife it hangs about 6 inches from the surface, it's hot....

MG

Mike

One thing I forgot to mention...before I bought the unit I did not inquire on its temp range...to broad IMO...24 and 26 C..when its set on 25 C.

Forgive the pics...no trypod and I m leaning on a Cerwin V. D15 thats rocking the wife cooking dinner :D

Izzue

Forgot to mention

NICE Tank...gonna be awesome

Izzue

post-14574-1147391470_thumb.jpg

post-14574-1147391491_thumb.jpg

Micro-Reefs Aquariums
Mike

One thing I forgot to mention...before I bought the unit I did not inquire on its temp range...to broad IMO...24 and 27 C..when its set on 25 C.

Forgive the pics...no trypod and I m leaning on a Cerwin V. D15 thats rocking the wife cooking dinner :D

Izzue

Forgot to mention

NICE Tank...gonna be awesome

Izzue

Izzue,

Thanks for the picture I've seen that chiller before just never knew Azoo made it. I was told they discontinued it but I'm not sure if thats true...

I see a power supply connected above it on the wall, is that part of the chiller? The Teclima micro chiller has a very similar power supply that runs a 4 foot cable between it and the chiller...

How much did you pay? Did you say your tank is 18 gallons? You say it runs from 24 to 27 C three degrees of variance is okay, I run my 1/4 JBJ chiller at that range with no ill effects.

How much does it pull down your tank on a hot day? Is it loud? Sorry for all the questions....

MG

Mike

Your Pm is full :P

Ya thats the power supply on the wall...red tank is my bio topoff :)

I would say this unit on that big of a MH would not work IMO... then again without all the pumps...cool ambient...mb

Sry temp edited above...

Izzue

A very reputable LFS ownder Ken at Aquarium Concepts personally saw it in action one month ago at a Los Angeles convention, he said it was a compressor...

1/15hp from what I've been told and very small.

Micro-Reefs Aquariums

Hey Reefers,

I got off the phone with JBJ about one hour ago and I have cool news. JBJ will be launching two nano chillers for all of us, yes two chillers...

One will be targeted for 40 gallon tanks and the other smaller one will be for 25 gallon and below. Yes you heard me right, I said one is going to be targeted for the small nano users like me...

HERE IS THE BEST PART, BOTH WILL BE COMPRESSOR BASED!!!

They are scheduled to hit our LFS stores by the end of June and he also mentioned nanoturners will get them as well, I hope to see Chris starting the pre-orders soon...

I told him I will definitely wait for this one and I'll be one of the first to jump on board; so who else is with me???

Lets start the list here so I can forward it to JBJ.....

Mike Guerrero = 1 order 25 gallon JBJ chiller

Hi Mike,

I was having great success with my 6 until today. As you know, it has been very hot in parts of So Cal the last 2 days. Well I agree with you on the Ice Probe chiller. A total waste if you live where it gets very hot. I just tore down my tank, because I didn't want to risk losing my yellow rics to high heat. I'll keep an eye on your report on nano chillers, since you have the same tank that I have. Keep up the good work!

Micro-Reefs Aquariums

When talking about prices, JBJ assured me that they are very affordable, that tells me that they will not be a ridiculous $400 dollars for a small chiller....

He told me that I'll be happy to see the price... Lets wait and see....

MG

Archived