inTank Media Baskets

power compact shoppin on a budget

richman02003

richman02003

ok i have a 29 gallon aquarium and i want to get some PC for it. ive been shopping around for a 30" fixture and i am lookin at the Dual Satellite Compact Fluorescent Fixture i can get for $123 or Coralife Lunar Aqualights Compact Fluorescent Strip Lights for $152. i am kind of on a budget but i dont want to buy crap. what are yalls thoughts? what other options do i have on a dual strip light 30" fixtures? are there other brands that are just as good at a reasonable price? thanks

johnmauser

I love the satellite power compacts. I liked them enough to convince my fellow coworkers at the NC Aquarium to purchase several thousand dollars worth of these.

John

I was thinking the same - the Satellite fixtures are better in most people's opinions than the Coralife fixtures. Better bulbs, better construction. And if you get it for cheaper, well - go for it! :)

Here's the light I'm looking at for my 20L that I'm setting up.

http://www.marineandreef.com/shoppro/power_Orbit.html

This is ther cheapest I've found it so far.

It looks like they are currently sold out though.

Here the one thing I really like about these lights

"Independent controls for dawn, dusk. Moon-Lite also independently controlled (each unit has three power cords)"

richman02003

i am suprized how cheap it is for the orbit pc fixture but yea its sold out :angry: i plan to wait a couple weeks anyways so it shouldnt b a problem. on other sites the same fixture cost more but i found a site that matched the price and has them in stock! thanks for the help

richie

johnmauser

The orbits are very nice. My mom has one on her 45 and has kept softies under it for a few years without a problem. Marinedepot.com usually has all of the current usa lights (orbit, satellite, etc) in stock and at very good prices.

Gutterdawg
i bought an odyssea fixture but most say their fixtures are crap(i like it though).

I was gonna buy one of these too, are they really no good?

I was gonna buy [an odyssea] too, are they really no good?

I like mine.

I got my 24" PC 130W for $50 used from a guy on RC and i have only two complaints: it runs pretty warm and it needs a better reflector. But it was $50, so these two issues don't override the positives for me.

If I had the $$ I would have bought an orbit, though.

Don't buy the Odyssea MH fixtures. I have read several threads on several boards about how they burst into flame.

Gutterdawg

Yeah, I was looking at the 36" dual 96w for $88 on E-Bay. I just thought that for the price, it couldn't be that great. Is the housing plastic or metal?

Metal, with two fans. Mine also has the moonlights.

I think it has a fairly sturdy construction and it its running temp is comperable to my friends 48" 260W coralife PC fixture.

Gutterdawg

well that doesn't sound too bad, I guess I will go with it then..you know being on a budget and all.... :)

... I guess I will go with it then...

I would check the classified or post in the want ads over at RC before I paid $88 (before shipping) on ebay. The $50 I paid included shipping.

EDIT: No one I have talked to had anything bad to say bout their lights, but do some searches for reviews. Some of the lights have issues with blown capacitors or such, but I knew about that going in.

Has a proud owner of a Odyssea PC fixture. DO NOT BUY!!!! I repeat DO NOT BUY. First off the lamps are crap. instead of 10000k white it comes with 12000k and the other lamp is supposed to be Actnic but is really only blue. When compared to a true actnic lamp ther is no comparison. Secondly the lamps are straight pin not square. (little harder to find). THe fixture is cheap but as soon as you factor in that the lamps need replacing from the get go (another $60) then it is really not worth it. My cooling fans went out in 5 mos. and the power switch proceed to spark (Yes I literally could see the spark as the lamp switched on and off with a mind off it's on.) PLease stay away from these fixtures.

instead of 10000k white it comes with 12000k and the other lamp is supposed to be Actnic but is really only blue. When compared to a true actnic lamp ther is no comparison. Secondly the lamps are straight pin not square. (little harder to find).

All true, except for the "little harder to find" and the "$60". I have seen quality straight-pin lamps oodles of places for $20.

My cooling fans went out in 5 mos. and the power switch proceed to spark (Yes I literally could see the spark as the lamp switched on and off with a mind off it's on.)

I haven't had these problems.

EDIT: Does this class as 'jacking the thread?

Sorry about my post then. I did not mean to "jack" your thread. I also understand that not everyone has a problem with the odyssea fixtures and they seem to work great for them. I just had a few problems so I cannot give my recommendation. And yes you can find lamps for $20. However as owners of reef aquariums we all know that quality of the lamps is a big issue, so by saying $60 I was referring to quality lamps such as Hamilton that run $30. I did not mean to offend you or jack the thread just offering my experience for what it is worth.

To answer your question mine is a 2005 model.

Gutterdawg

I heard that the 2006 models are supposed to be better than the 2005, not sure though. Fosi did you replace the lamps that came with your fixture?

Yeah I heard the same thing. I also like the updated Three power chords they offer. One thing I did really like on the odyssea was the moonlights. They looked pretty cool.

Sorry about my post then. I did not mean to "jack" your thread.

I took no offense, sorry if it came across that way. Forums are such a flat media, I should really use the smilies more. :blush:

It's not my thread anyway, I just wondered if we should start our own.

EDIT: No haven't replaced mine, but I intend to within the next 4 months. I have the fixture over a tank that isn't housing any corals, just some coralline, halimeda, and GSP. All seems happy in the tank... In fact, the GSP didn't start to emerge until I put this light on it.

Gutterdawg

Well I guess I might still try the odyssea.....I know I should spend the $ and get a better fixture, but I just don't have it right now. I am now officially undecided.....;)

I am now officially undecided...

Welcome to my world!

Do some product price/review searches for Odyssea, Orbit, and Satallite, that'll help you make up your mind.

Archived