Pod Your Reef

newb here... cleaner shrimp molted... should i remove old skin?

gqsean124

I just leave the old exoskeletons in when the shrimp molt. Between the nassa snails and hermit crabs, it's gone within a few days.

Kellie in CA

I just got a cleaner shrimp yeterday afternoon and it already molted, is that a bad sign? My water parameters are good and I spent 2.5 hours acclimating him.

I just got a cleaner shrimp yeterday afternoon and it already molted, is that a bad sign? My water parameters are good and I spent 2.5 hours acclimating him.

I got mine on Saturday and it molted that night. I think its a reaction to the stress of moving. Is this a good sign or a bad sign?

Kellie,

Mine did the same thing when I put them in. That was four months and two molts ago. They are doing great. My cleanup crew takes care of molt.

Bessie

• 2 weeks later...

When the shrimp, or any invert. molts, its a sign of proper iodine content in your water, so it's many times a good thing.

djchristone

well not really sure if this applies to salt water, but i think it might.

fw shrimp hobbyists tend to leave the molts inside the tank because the shrimp usually just end up eating it and recieve calcium from that molt...if not calcium something else...can't really remember :P

One Eyed Bunny

Molts are a good source of calcium and crude protien for invertebrates. Leave the molt in and your clean up crew will certainly have it taken care of as soon as the first hermit or snail manages to find it.

Archived