inTank Media Baskets

pest hitchhikers.bunch of questions.

BrassMonkey030

BrassMonkey030

hey, im 1week 4 days into a new tank and the liverock has really come alive now that its comferitable. i have something that is in my rock that is making a mess, its shooting sand and poop into the water. leaving a sandy mess around it. what is it, and how do i kill it?

also what looks like an anemone it is a dull color, its arms frey at the ends and its constently sticking its arms in its mouth. is it a bad one?

i impulse bought the cheapest coral i could find at the lfs,a guinea pig to make sure the water was all right. it now looks like i have a brain coral, from what i understand will not like my 70w mh 24 pod. if i stick it up high in the tank, will it at least live?

brown algea is on my sand. what do you guys use to controll this?

thanx. more newb questions to come. =)

... leaving a sandy mess around it. what is it, and how do i kill it?

What does it look like?

what looks like an anemone it is a dull color, its arms frey at the ends and its constently sticking its arms in its mouth.

Does it have a hard tube?

i impulse bought the cheapest coral i could find at the lfs,a guinea pig to make sure the water was all right.

Bad idea. I wouldn't impulse buy again and you shouldn't test you water with living things. Use a test kit. Have you tested your water parameters (pH, NH3, NO3, SG)?

I don't know about brains, so I can't help you there.

brown algea is on my sand. what do you guys use to controll this?

It'll clear up on its own as the tank matures and you keep doing your waterchanges. If you want to do something cosmetic for your sand, you can eventually buy a couple nassarius snails to stir the sand around.

Have you tested for the presence of ammonia (NH3)?

BrassMonkey030

cant tell what it looks like, its in the rock, it just violently jets out sand.

the anemone is half in the rock, cant tell if it has a tube, can take a pic if needed.

water is 0 everything ph is 8.2-8.4

i had a ammonia spike of .50 on like the second day, then returned to 0.

the rock was from a lfs so there was hardly any die off. also a skimmer is on 24/7 from day 1.

as of now i have a blue damsel,purple firefish, and the coral.

6 hermits 2 turbo snails.

cant tell what it looks like, its in the rock, it just violently jets out sand.

I'm stumped.

the anemone is half in the rock, cant tell if it has a tube, can take a pic if needed.

It would help a lot.

water is 0 everything ph is 8.2-8.4

i had a ammonia spike of .50 on like the second day, then returned to 0.

the rock was from a lfs so there was hardly any die off. also a skimmer is on 24/7 from day 1.

Sounds like you are on the right track there.

Archived