inTank Media Baskets

I know it is not RO but.

Labguy

Another question is how much better? Culligan tested the water coming out of it and they could not tell the difference between there RO/DI and mine with the tests they ran.

Certifications: NSF 42 and NSF 53 in US, WRC in EU, ISO 9002 international

This is a good sign.

A friend of mine works at NSF in Detroit. After talking to him about their methods and standards of testing, I wouldn't want to buy water filtration/purification without and NSF stamp on it.

Culligan tested the water coming out of it and they could not tell the difference between there RO/DI and mine with the tests they ran.

What tests did they run? Did they just stick a TDS probe in it?

Just a question Labguy, do you work in a lab? The reason I ask is that almost every lab I've ever worked in has an RO water faucet in the sink as well as the regular faucet for washing lab glassware as a final rinse. Building RO systems = large volumes of free RO water (as long as the lab is cool with that).

debbeach13

Why not use your test kits and check the water out of that filter. I found my under the counter filter as good as it is did not get rid of ALL of the phosphate but every thing was fine.

This is a good sign.

A friend of mine works at NSF in Detroit. After talking to him about their methods and standards of testing, I wouldn't want to buy water filtration/purification without and NSF stamp on it.

What tests did they run? Did they just stick a TDS probe in it?

No they actually tested it with a liquid kit dont know exactly which tests they ran though.

Just a question Labguy, do you work in a lab? The reason I ask is that almost every lab I've ever worked in has an RO water faucet in the sink as well as the regular faucet for washing lab glassware as a final rinse. Building RO systems = large volumes of free RO water (as long as the lab is cool with that).

No the Labguy refers to yellow labs as in Labidochromis caeruleus or electric yellow cichlid.

No they actually tested it with a liquid kit dont know exactly which tests they ran though.

Too bad. A TDS meter would have been better IMO, because then you would have some idea of how much "stuff" your filter is pulling out.

I am sure your filter works and as with most things in this hobby: "If it ain't broke, don't fix it."

EDIT: What did you pay for it and how many gallons does each insert treat?

I paid nothing because it was a defective unit from a previous employer. But we had extra parts and I fixed it and kept it. As for how much each filter runs I am not sure I have extra filter candles and they are washable because the water is forced through the outside into the middle.

I paid nothing because it was a defective unit from a previous employer. But we had extra parts and I fixed it and kept it. As for how much each filter runs I am not sure I have extra filter candles and they are washable because the water is forced through the outside into the middle.

I found an electronic TDS meter on Ebay for $16. A meter will tell you two things: (1) whether the filtered water compares to RO water and (2) and how much of an improvement the filtered water is from your regular tap.

althefishguy

IMO RO is BS ion exchange takes 98% of the crap out of Your water With NO wasted water !! All the RO makers add or tell You to add Ion Exchange after the RO Membranes only trap about 2% Please Don't listen to Me Test it !!!!

minireefkeeper26

I buy my RO water from the LFS so I would buy one of these if it works. You haven't had any problems with your fish or corals using the water out of the tap after filtering with this unit? I read the link you gave, I didn't see that it removed chlorine, I assume it does though right. What exactly does it get rid of? If this thing works I am getting it, I need to save money on water, so I can use it to pay for the rediculous gas prices.

I get my RO water for free. My mom works in an analytical lab that tests runoff from paper and lumber mills. Phosphate, nitrate, and nitrite levels are some of the stuff they have to test for, and the results are reported to the state and EPA. So the RO water they use has to have undectable levels so the samples don't get contaminated by the instruments being washed or using it to dilute the samples for testing. She brings me a gallon or two every weekday when I need more. I've got two five gallon gasoline containers (never used for gasoline, obviously) sitting at home that are full about 75% of the time. Not everyone is so lucky, though.

Well I have not actually used it as of yet. I was wanting to here some responses from here. I am considering getting a 55 gallon drum from a friend to fill with the water and then treat with AmQuel just to be safe. And yes the 55 gallon drum is a food grade drum used in a cheese plant.

• 2 months later...

Well I have bad news! Sorry to drum up the old topic but I wanted let those of you who wanted to know what the TDS test would read.

Tap = 160ppm

Filter = 145ppm

So do not buy one it makes good drinking water by removing the chlorine and bacteria but it leaves a lot of stuff behind!

Archived