Coral cost

Stevej72

Ok I see all these post about $5 and $10 frags and corals for $30 and up which i think is kinda cheap. I'm in Connecticut all my LFS are like $40 for a 3-4 branch xenia and it goes up from there nothing under $40.00 up to $200.00 any thing more would be spec. order. Only one LFS sells frags and they are $25.00 per frag. a shroom frag would be a sliver of LR with 1-2 shrooms about the size of a dime ( when full open ) and a zoo frag would be 2-4 polyps about 1/4" round. A leather frag would be about 1/2" tall. ;)

So is Connecticut just over priced or what? How is it where you are?

ReefApprentice

In LA I can get a rock of 7 or 8 mushrooms for 30-40 dollars. I can get colt coral peice 6 inches tall with 2 branches and 5 stems on each for 40 dollars. I would say your LFS is way overpriced and to order from reefers on the internet.

Alex

On line price is much better but after shipping and box charges I might as well just go to LFS

brent-konieczny

Man, you are getting ripped off! ...........unless the corals they sell have super powers and can cook, do your laundry, pay the bills, ect..............

ReefApprentice

I would say order from online stores and get enough so that shipping is free. Most time over 150 they pay for next day. Hope this helps.

Alex

my lfs has frag of zoos, sps, mushrooms, zenia, gsp, and soft coral all ranging from 1.5"-6" for $10. And I get a 15% discount for being a member of the local marine aquarist club.

You can see the stuff he sells on his website, yourreef.com, but its a bit cheaper in his retail store and I don't have to pay shipping. Very good quality corals I must say. I would say close to 99% were aquacultured and fraged himself.

natureboy

You should check out seacrop dot com. I haven't ordered from them, but the frags are really cheap, especially if you just get a pack.

Fanof49ASU

I would expect coastal areas to have a much better price than someone as inland as myself (Tennessee).

FWIW.....I spent $60 on a green branching Frogspawn with 3 (soon to be 4) branches.

non-photosynt

Same prices in Canada: CND$50 small ones, $60-usually, $90 blastomussa. Frags by mail order are cheaper: $20 frag x quantity of frags, + $15 shipping. It took a long time to find a source.

try www.aquaticisland.com they seem to be the best deal on the web, plus you get a free cleaner pack with your order and the shippings cheap for inverts and zoos

BoBoSkater
I would expect coastal areas to have a much better price than someone as inland as myself (Tennessee).

FWIW.....I spent $60 on a green branching Frogspawn with 3 (soon to be 4) branches.

What part of TN do you live in? All the places I live in have good prices for frags, but there is really never any good colored frags. They just have very colorful corals but for like $80 -$500.

DementedLullaby

Yeah all the LFS's up here in Quebec are way over-pricing their corals too. I heard of one good place that I wanna check out but it's a little bit away so I don't know when I'll catch a chance. I bet they're still fairly expensive anyway :P.

I may just order all mine online...may be more worth it...not sure. I like to build my collection slowly but I don't want to pay an arm and a leg...even if it is over time.

After hunting around for good prices, I've found that many of the internet shippers are either in SoCal or Florida. It seems as if the farther away you get from those two places, the more expensive corals (and live rock and sand) becomes --somebody has to pay shipping and somebody has to pay the middlemen.

Fanof49ASU
What part of TN do you live in? All the places I live in have good prices for frags, but there is really never any good colored frags. They just have very colorful corals but for like $80 -$500.

Nashville.

I'm a regular at the Aquatic Critter.

jane of baden

get a part time job there I guess. I get free coral (1" tall acro, some mushies, etc)

Or at least scrounge for smaller fallen pieces in the tank, theyre priced lower ;)

Ebay can be a good source for corals as well. I just picked up a very nice zoanthid pack of 12 for $145 shipped. Most of the LFSs around here have these huge rocks with so-so colors for expensive prices. The one exception is a LFS near my house sells 'colonial polyps' at $30 for any sized rock. I've gotten some nicely colored zoos from there, but most of them aren't as colorful as ones you can buy online.

ProFlatlander15

What part of CT do you live in? I am in Plainville, and agree that there are no cheap corals around at all. I go to Pet-A-Rama(southington), Emmon's(granby), and The Puppy Center(w. hartford), and find they are all similar in price...ridiculous.

Pinner Reef

It's hit or miss here in SLC Utah one store sells UGLY corals for like $45-$65 all brown and UGLY. Fish for you is my fav, large healthy and beautiful corals for $25 and up depending on size/type/rarity. Another cool thing is they love to try to "unload" the little frags on me for a couple of bucks. $5 Fire&Ice zoos with 7 polyps sure i'll take that but throw the rouge green ones in too...score. B)

-Pinner

What part of CT do you live in? I am in Plainville, and agree that there are no cheap corals around at all. I go to Pet-A-Rama(southington), Emmon's(granby), and The Puppy Center(w. hartford), and find they are all similar in price...ridiculous.

Im in Manchester. there are two by me that arnt bad Aquatic "Wildlife", and "Wet pets"

Fanof49ASU
Ebay can be a good source for corals as well. I just picked up a very nice zoanthid pack of 12 for $145 shipped. Most of the LFSs around here have these huge rocks with so-so colors for expensive prices. The one exception is a LFS near my house sells 'colonial polyps' at $30 for any sized rock. I've gotten some nicely colored zoos from there, but most of them aren't as colorful as ones you can buy online.

I'm waiting on a 10 pack this morning.

10 frags/$117 + shipping $45. The seller even offered to meet me in Memphis to save the shipping. : )

ProFlatlander15

I have been to Wet Pets before, they have nice corals but they are expensive. I actually grabbed a 6" hydnophora for $50 and they gave me a frag of bright bright orange zoos for $15.

I also try to get deals from people here on NR.

Fanof49ASU

Got my frags, and I'm extremely happy with them. Some are already opening.

Here's the sellers ebay store if some of you guys are looking. Just be sure to tell her Mark from Nashville sent you. B) I'm shameless.

http://stores.ebay.com

That seems like alot, pico is getting some great deals out there in cali. I imagine South Florida and Los Angeles are the mecas for imported corals and have so many coral shops that prices will flucutate to the advantage of the serious hobbiest. I am in Birmingham and prices range alot here. At Aquarium Designs you will pay a heafty penny for a full size colony but there frags are extremely reasonsable 15 for ricordia single polyp, 40 for 5 polyp acan lord etc.

Archived