Hey Topless People - Is a separate fuge light required?

SanDiegoIllini

SanDiegoIllini

Hey there-

Anyone who runs an all-in-one (Nanocube or Aquapod), has a fuge, and runs 'topless' I have a question. Do you really need a separate fuge light? I assume you're likely using some kind of metal halide light or something else up on those little legs (like this: http://www.current-usa.com/sunpod.html).

Do the little legs elevate the light fixture high enough so that light bleeds back into the fuge, eliminating a need for a second light?

If you are using Chaeto, it prefers a "cooler" color temperature of around 6500K. If you are using a metal halide, they run >10,000K so they aren't the optimal spectrum. I'm a newbie too, so take it for what it's worth but that's what I've gathered from reading around here. You can get an ideal refugium light at Home Depot for 20 bucks. Same thread I mentioned in Lindsey's thread where you were asking about the mod to the rear chamber.

http://www.nano-reef.com/forums/index.php?...c=70138&hl=easy

qualudethunder

You can't run your fuge on a reverse or 24/7 light cycle if you are using the same bulb as your tank ;) . Therein lies the problem. Most people do not run their fuge on the same cycle as their main tank. The light spectrum would work, but like Yeahitsk said a 65k bulb(actually a warmer color) would be optimal.

SanDiegoIllini
You can't run your fuge on a reverse or 24/7 light cycle if you are using the same bulb as your tank ;) . Therein lies the problem. Most people do not run their fuge on the same cycle as their main tank. The light spectrum would work, but like Yeahitsk said a 65k bulb(actually a warmer color) would be optimal.

True, and good points by both of you. However, if I wanted optimal as you guys are referring to it I probably wouldn't be considering an all-in-one tank :) For me, optimal is not having to mod the tank or purchase extra equipment. (I know that runs contrary to most people's beliefs here, shhhh ;)) Actually, I'm not opposed to modding, I'm an engineer by nature and by trade myself, and the wildly creative solutions by people on this site are something that drew me in in the first place. However, with the specific location, budget, and function of this particular tank I am considering, 'optimal' is less drilling, less things hanging off the sides (especially unfinished looking), etc. I have read most of the refugium light mod threads that I could find, and not many of them fit that bill. Additionally, this is a relatively small tank. While 50 watts of perfect spectrum light may be 'optimal' in the sense that it causes the chaeto to grow the fastest, do I really need it to double in size every 3 days? Again, as an engineer I realize that part of the challenge and part of the fun is pushing the limits, but in this particular case it's not important that I have lots of extra chaeto, in fact, I think that will just make more work! (Although, I guess that brings up a good, final point. Does chaeto need to be actively growing and expanding to be chemically/biologically effective, or is it just living there sufficient. I don't know offhand, I'll have to look it up).

So, to summarize (because you guys got me the first time): I know it might not be the most optimal or efficient, but can anyone with a topless light let me know if that's enough to sustain a fuge (without another light)?

Thanks!

The faster the cheato grows the more nutrients it pulls from the water. The chaeto just sitting there wont in itself clean the water. It will grow with the light you are using but as mentioned above wont be "optimal".

Will it still have some effect? Yes. Will it perform as well as it *could* given separate lighting? No.

But my thought tends to be even a suboptimal refugium is better than no refugium.

I have a topless 12g AP, and I run a modded 80w current satellite with a 70w MH. I've got chaeto in my first and third chambers. The light is sitting near the back of the tank, but that's my high-light corals can tan on top of the rocks stacked at the back of the tank. This way, the chambers get some light too.

There are a lot of pedantic people on the forums who will say not to do this but if you're looking for a workable and convenient solution it works fine.

Oh, and if you're going MH I would use a 10k, that will help your chaeto grow too. My 14k is too blue for me, but it is subjective.

DementedLullaby

My fiancee and I clean our tanks topless...other than that I can't help you. Ask back in a few weeks when I get my new light ~_^ lol.

Sorry I just can't help myself sometimes. This topics been making me giggle since it was created.

Would you guys suggest attempting to mod something into my hood over getting a hanging ballast? I don't really mind top offs. Is heat better with hanging? I would imagine so...

Archived