Sponge or No Sponge

vlapinta

I am in the process of cycling my new 12 gallon Aquapod. I have a bag of carbon and chemipure in the 2nd chamber, a bag of phosban in the third chamber and my heater and maxijet 900 in the 4th chamber. I originally had the sponge in the first chamber but I am reading that maybe this is not a good idea. Some recommend filter floss. Should Iditch the sponge and if yes what should I try in the first chamber? I am in day 11 of cycling and my ammonia is 0, Nitrites 0 but nitrates are still 10-20. I have 18 lbs. of live aquacultured rock and 14 lbs of live sand. Any suggestions for a Newbie are always appreciated!

Vicki

WarDamnEagle18
I am in the process of cycling my new 12 gallon Aquapod. I have a bag of carbon and chemipure in the 2nd chamber, a bag of phosban in the third chamber and my heater and maxijet 900 in the 4th chamber. I originally had the sponge in the first chamber but I am reading that maybe this is not a good idea. Some recommend filter floss. Should Iditch the sponge and if yes what should I try in the first chamber? I am in day 11 of cycling and my ammonia is 0, Nitrites 0 but nitrates are still 10-20. I have 18 lbs. of live aquacultured rock and 14 lbs of live sand. Any suggestions for a Newbie are always appreciated!

Vicki

I was wondering the same thing. I havent used the chemipure or phosban yet. Does it work good? I am trying to decide what i need to put in mine. I was think of putting one both in the second chamber with the carbon and putting my stock pump in chamber one for circulation. I was gonna just cut a sponge in half and put in top of chamber 1.Dunno if thats a good idea or not.

I have the 24g Pod and I ditched the sponges long ago. I am running filter floss that I change monthly and chemipure. My water is clearer since I made the switch.

nanomano5442
I have the 24g Pod and I ditched the sponges long ago. I am running filter floss that I change monthly and chemipure. My water is clearer since I made the switch.

hey I have chemi and phos in small amount and it works good. Form what Ive read floss is the most afishant filter U can have cheep so have fun :naughtydance:

dbaumga797
How often are you supposed to change the chemipure?

Vicki

Every 6 months...but I change mine every 3 months just to be safe.

• 3 weeks later...
addam4208283
hey I have chemi and phos in small amount and it works good. Form what Ive read floss is the most afishant filter U can have cheep so have fun :naughtydance:

i have been trying a few things out and i have a question about hte phos.

what you mean by phos you mean this right?

http://www.marinedepot.com/md_viewItem.asp?idProduct=TL4111

how do you stack it in the chamber with the chemipure and filter floss, any particular order?

thanks

ADAM

I have a method that works really well for my Nanocube 12G. Intake chamber is full of LR rubble up to the top third of the chamber. I cut a Hagen Fluval white foam pad to fit over the intake grate. It's narrow enough to take up a fourth of the width of the chamber. That traps a lot of food particles / bio waste before it can get down into the LR chamber. Every three days, I rinse it out in tap water, then salt water, and put it back. When it turns a filthy brown (every two months), I chuck it and stick a new one in there. I still have to turkey baste the LR in Chamber One every month but there is a lot less solid waste caught down there.

(shhh! I also cheat with two tablespoons of charcoal in a mesh bag in Chamber One, but darned if my water isn't crystal clean! )

I have a method that works really well for my Nanocube 12G. Intake chamber is full of LR rubble up to the top third of the chamber. I cut a Hagen Fluval white foam pad to fit over the intake grate. It's narrow enough to take up a fourth of the width of the chamber. That traps a lot of food particles / bio waste before it can get down into the LR chamber. Every three days, I rinse it out in tap water, then salt water, and put it back. When it turns a filthy brown (every two months), I chuck it and stick a new one in there. I still have to turkey baste the LR in Chamber One every month but there is a lot less solid waste caught down there.

(shhh! I also cheat with two tablespoons of charcoal in a mesh bag in Chamber One, but darned if my water isn't crystal clean! )

I do a similar thing, except I use a 1" layer of floss on top of my rubble and discard it 3 times per week. (Quick and easy) I also turkey baste my rock an hour before I change the floss to export the max debris. Seems to be working very well.

Algae Grows --- Snails Eat --- Snails Poop --- Floss Turns Brown --- Export poop.

(I also use a small bag of charcoal.)

Archived