New 20H Halide Canopy!

newreefguy

newreefguy

Well, this took a really long time to finish but here it is. You know you have lost your mind when you build a custom canopy with a 250w halide for a 20 gallon tank. :) Just thought I would share.

BTW.. I thought Phoenix 14K lamps were a good compromise between blue and white. Mine seems almost too blue. Does is need some burn in time?

fts.jpg

Ryan

newreefguy
did you build the stand too? Looks very professional.

Thanks! I got the stand a long time ago at a local LFS with a matching smaller canopy. I modeled the new canopy after the older one. Its just basically taller with a door in front. Here are some more pictures.

I am seriously considering a 10k bulb. This Phoenix 14k is super blue. I am really surprised.

close_side.jpg

full_top.jpg

opendoor.jpg

Ryan

I bought 2 current usa 14K bulbs about a month ago. One was already burned in and the other was way bluer. Now that the bluer one has burned in it looks more white. Just give yours some time.

newreefguy

Thanks for the nice comments!

Good info pico1, I will hold off for a couple weeks and hope it whitens up a little.

Looks great, a real challenge to mimic those stock stands and make it look good. Yours looks awsome.

newreefguy
Looks great, a real challenge to mimic those stock stands and make it look good. Yours looks awsome.

Thanks Tony, yea.. it took a lot of time to get it right. The painting was the hardest part. I should have sprayed the primer and black but I used a roller/foam brush instead. It took forever. :) Here is a picture of the underside.

underside.jpg

Ryan

Thanks Tony, yea.. it took a lot of time to get it right. The painting was the hardest part. I should have sprayed the primer and black but I used a roller/foam brush instead. It took forever. :) Here is a picture of the underside.

underside.jpg

Ryan

Thats really nice, looks great. i like the bluer spectrum think it looks cool.

i had a 10klight hated it so got a 20k 150w, much better. :D

• 4 weeks later...
newreefguy

Hopefully I am done now. :)

If you went with the 10K you could probably retrofit some antics in there though.

Yea, I should have thought it out a little more (even though I spent hours on my original decision). :) I found the 250w to be wayyyy to bright.. I ended up wanting dawn/dusk too so I ultimately put in a couple HOT5's and downgraded the MH to 150w. I think the look is pretty good now.

So now I have Ushio 150w 10000K HQI, Giesemann 24W Actinic/Blue Plus T5HO, and Giesemann 24W Pure Actinic 03 T5HO bulbs. Seems to be a good combo. A little whiter which is the way I like it.

t5_b.jpg

Ryan

• 5 weeks later...

Archived