Premium Aquatics Aquarium Supplies

New Aquapod 12g model

riotj

Anyone have the new Aquapod 12g model which was released in March 2006? I was speaking with Aquapod Customer Service and they said that the new model has an upgraded fan and hood and a 2 way locline return in addition to a few other mods. Was wondering if the noise is decreased and water temps are improved due to the mods, and if the locline 2 way return is a good way to go.

From reading earlier posts, I know some of you were not happy with the earlier model Aquapods so let's not rehash that. Interested in comments about the new model.

Thanks

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply
rleon3003

i saw the new version at the LFS. i really like how it comes with a y connector and ive herd people like it. also, the newer version doesnt let light spil thru the front of the hood and in the back, there r more slots for wires to run thru the hood. and also, it also has an intake all the way in the bottom of the 1st chambe but i dont no if its connectoed to the 1st chamber or the slot on the bottom. i really like the newer ones.

Anyone have the new Aquapod 12g model which was released in March 2006? I was speaking with Aquapod Customer Service and they said that the new model has an upgraded fan and hood and a 2 way locline return in addition to a few other mods. Was wondering if the noise is decreased and water temps are improved due to the mods, and if the locline 2 way return is a good way to go.

From reading earlier posts, I know some of you were not happy with the earlier model Aquapods so let's not rehash that. Interested in comments about the new model.

Thanks

I have a new AP 12g and was wondering why mine was soo different than everyone elses I see pictures of.

Temps hover around 78 - 80 with my heater running.

Fan is semi-quiet but seems to do a good job. I'm going to switch it out with two super quiet Panaflo fans.

Light does not escape from the hood.

I blocked off the bottom two intakes....I just figured out that soo much filter material is stuffed into chamber 1 that it is the main reason the skimmer does not work.

I like the Y-lock line but I am going to try and fit a Hydor Flo on the outlet.

Optik

Can you elaborate more on the skimmer issue?

Are you using the stock pump?

I am using the stock pump. I have a majijet 900 and a hydor flo coming this week to test out.

It seems like the cause of the skimmer not working is that water isnt pushed/pulled through chamber 1 at a high enough flow rate. This is probably due to having soo much filter media in chamber 1 (it comes stock like this with a foam filter). If you didnt have any media in the chamber it would probably work ok. I wanted filter media in there and I wanted the skimmer to work so I did some experimenting with blocking off intakes etc. Last night I finally built a stand out of lighting eggcrate that makes it where my filter floss sits right at the level of the upper intake; I also completely blocked off the lower intake. This increases the flow through chamber one because there is maybe a quarter of the media that was there before and now the built in skimmer works.

post-11386-1147027629_thumb.jpg

Another idea would be to move your filter media from chamber 1 to chamber 3 right next to the pump return. I have heard that this can be dangerous though because of the media getting into the pump chamber and making the pump fail.

I have the 2006 model but think its a January and not March edition. I will however state to switch out the stock pump for a MJ of somesort. The stock pump creats way to much heat. I actually swapped mine out for a MJ900 and also added a hydor. However the hydor cut it down to like a 600 pump. It restricts its flow horribly. It works, don't get me wrong, but if you are going to do a hydor opt for a MJ1200 instead of the 900. You figure the pump not only has to pump up the hose about 8 inches then turn a hydor. You are well off with a 1200 vs the 900. Just my opinion. I removed my hydor on the 900 and like the flow.

When the hydor was on the 900 it seemed like it cut the flow thru the chambers too. Now that its removed, it flows nicely thru the back chambers...

Good luck with your tank.

Spankey:)

I have the 2006 model but think its a January and not March edition. I will however state to switch out the stock pump for a MJ of somesort. The stock pump creats way to much heat. I actually swapped mine out for a MJ900 and also added a hydor. However the hydor cut it down to like a 600 pump. It restricts its flow horribly. It works, don't get me wrong, but if you are going to do a hydor opt for a MJ1200 instead of the 900. You figure the pump not only has to pump up the hose about 8 inches then turn a hydor. You are well off with a 1200 vs the 900. Just my opinion. I removed my hydor on the 900 and like the flow.

When the hydor was on the 900 it seemed like it cut the flow thru the chambers too. Now that its removed, it flows nicely thru the back chambers...

Good luck with your tank.

Spankey:)

I bought an Aquapod 12g last week, and got the January '06 model as well. Now reading this thread and not having used the tank yet or much more than opened the box and looked at it (still sitting IN the box) I'm wondering if I should try to exchange it for a March model if the store I got mine from has any or of it would even make a differance with anything. Their display model has the Y split locline, so maybe they DO have them? In any event I'm also going to upgrade the pump off the bat to an MJ900 and add in a hydor. Not sure what I'm going to do about the grating yet for the skimmer, but I noticed how the sponge is about 3/4 of the length of the chamber itself.

If you have the y split locline, I am told by current usa, that this is the most recent model with the updated fan so the issue of running too hot and noisy should be resolved. Also, the hood of the latest model does prevents light from coming through the hood. When I do buy one, I am going to run it as is and see the temp. I believe someone responded to this threed that he has the march model and is experience decent temps. Of course, if you want a hydor flo then it sounds like you're going to have to upgrade the pump as someone earlier mentioned.

I have the new 12 gallon Aquapod model. I am currently cycling the tank and am on day 11. My heater is set to @76 and my temperature has been staying between 79 and 80.5

Vicki

I have an old one, but saw the newer one at a friends house. I'd ge the new one if possible, the light leaking is a big annoyance for me, and also the channels that the tank lid fit into keep condensation from dripping outside the tank like it does with my older one.

It also seems to have a different hinge mechanism, mine has problems because the lid rubs against the tank when I open it, causing a good bit of noise and vibration which seems to annoy the occupants.

The feeding lid also seemed to fit better, as mine also leaks light.

vlapinta - What do you think about the flo with the locline return? Is there plentym not to warrant a pump upgrade? I'd be curious

I have to say I am somewhat disapointed with this tank. Glad to see they improved with upgrades. But what about people who paid for the tanks 3 months before the upgrades. My tank ran stock out of the box at 84 degrees. Current admited to switch out the pump! I did. Still runs hot. I also get alot of condensation on my light cover. So much that when I lift the lid, it drips out the back where the wires are... Current assured me they were mailing me another fan to add to the tank, but still two months later NO fan.. So I am thinking this pod is either going topless or getting sold very soon!!!!!

Glad to see they fixed all thier flaws at the expense and the flooding complaints of the people who are stuck with being the guinea pigs that had to spend more money to get the tank to run cooler and such!!! Oh well.

-_-

I have to say I am somewhat disapointed with this tank. Glad to see they improved with upgrades. But what about people who paid for the tanks 3 months before the upgrades. My tank ran stock out of the box at 84 degrees. Current admited to switch out the pump! I did. Still runs hot. I also get alot of condensation on my light cover. So much that when I lift the lid, it drips out the back where the wires are... Current assured me they were mailing me another fan to add to the tank, but still two months later NO fan.. So I am thinking this pod is either going topless or getting sold very soon!!!!!

Glad to see they fixed all thier flaws at the expense and the flooding complaints of the people who are stuck with being the guinea pigs that had to spend more money to get the tank to run cooler and such!!! Oh well.

-_-

Hi Spankey,

I don't believe the new version is any better. I have the new aquapod 12 with loc line and am still having the same problems with heat. I am running at 85-86 deg. after even after doing the following.

1. Replacing the hot stock pump with a rio 600.

2. Cutting out every other grate from the fan vents for more air flo.

3. Replacing the stock fan with 2 5000 rpm VERY loud evercool fans

4. Proping the hood open about 1 inch for more air flo.

Does anyone have any other cooling solutions other than a chiler or going topless?

Also for anyone thinking that they don't need a heater in these things. I had my heater turned way down thinking I didn't need it, but after losing a clown and a yellow tail damsel over the weekend I found that the tank was cooling down to 77 degrees at night. Since my levels are all perfect, my lfs guy thinks that the temp swing is what killed the fish, so I now have the heater a 85 degs so it will at least stay consistent.

Mark Mauro

nanogirl314

I've had my aquapod 12 up and running for almost a month and a half now (it's the "older" version, not the March model) and my temp is holding nice and steady at 76-77 degrees. I have two fans that are wired separate from the lights so I can run them all the time. I have my heater set at 71, and once you add in the considerable amount of heat put off by the lights and pump, not to mention surrounding room temp, my tank maintains the temp I want really well. If I turn up the heater one degree then the temp holds steady at 77-78.

As far as the hood leaking light, I put a piece of black electrical tape all around the inside perimeter of the hood so that about half of the tape hangs down. When I close the lid the tape folds under and cushions the hood on the tank rim. It blocks the light perfectly and you can hardly tell it is there.

Anyway the above is what works for me. B)

-NanoGirl314

How do you determine the release date?

White barcode sticker on the left on the bottom of the hood. There's also a date barcode sticker on the box the cube comes in as well. I'm gonna go by where I got mine from, later today, and see if they have any of the newer March cubes in stock and then from there see if I can exchange my not yet used 1/10/06 dated cube for it.

Phixon - the 1/10/06 date is not indicative of an earlier model. It could have been manufactured on 1/10/06 but not released until march. I've seen newer models having hte 1/10/06 date. Look for hood mod - not allowing light and earsily removable from the tank. Don't assume that you have the older model becfaue of the date on the inside.

jcm - see above note to Phixon.

Phixon - the 1/10/06 date is not indicative of an earlier model. It could have been manufactured on 1/10/06 but not released until march. I've seen newer models having hte 1/10/06 date. Look for hood mod - not allowing light and earsily removable from the tank. Don't assume that you have the older model becfaue of the date on the inside.

jcm - see above note to Phixon.

Mine came with the flat head nozzle, not the locline, I'm under the assumption as mentioned that the new pods have the locline standard out of the box and NOT the flat nozzle like mine has? I'm not sure how to tell the hood mod apart from the newer to older model yet since I have yet to use mine.

I live in Boyertown Pa... I did buy the pod in April however, I just think Current should have set a few of them up for a certain amount of time and tested them. Why do some heat up and others do not? There are serious issues going on with them. Yeah they don't crack like the Nanocubes do, but hey I don't see alot of peoples nano cubes heating up? Wait, that is due to thier ballasts being external.. Another POD flaw...

Don't get me wrong, I love my 12 gallon pod, but think Current being the stand up product producer that they are should have stood behind thier product and researched it out. Not make upgrades and changes to the new ones like I said before, at the cost of other people complaining about thier tanks that have the issues... But at least they are improving them, just a year too late though :angry:

Spankey :happy:

Well the shop only had the January issue pods, actually they just had ONE pod left, they had 4 the other day though. Anywho I'll try out the things that NanoGirl314 suggested and said she did with her 12g, sounds like it should take care of any issues anyways.

I have my heater set at 71, and once you add in the considerable amount of heat put off by the lights and pump, not to mention surrounding room temp, my tank maintains the temp I want really well. If I turn up the heater one degree then the temp holds steady at 77-78.

-NanoGirl314

Does this mean you keep your room temperature below 71 all of the time, too?

And how much and how quickly does your temperature drop after the lights go off?

Well I just fixed my heat issue. Might not be what others are looking for, but I added two of these fans to the front of my hood on each side of the feeding lid...

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage.jsp?sk...d=1074787987752

They are actually really cool. They have blue LED's that go thru all diferent lighting cycles. It adds to the lunar light and it makes the tank shimmer in different spots when the lights go thru the light cycles.. Different but cool. So my warranty is shot!!! :P OH WELL!!!!

Spankey!

Well I just fixed my heat issue. Might not be what others are looking for, but I added two of these fans to the front of my hood on each side of the feeding lid...

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage.jsp?sk...d=1074787987752

They are actually really cool. They have blue LED's that go thru all diferent lighting cycles. It adds to the lunar light and it makes the tank shimmer in different spots when the lights go thru the light cycles.. Different but cool. So my warranty is shot!!! :P OH WELL!!!!

Spankey!

Yeah Spanky,

This is one of the two only major problems with the 2006 APod12.

1 - Power head is too high a wattage, (easy fix with a MJ600)

2 - No airflow inside canopy over water surface. (The current canopy fan only circulates air through the light enclosure.)

Fix #1, topless and standalone light.

Fix #2 void canopy warantee and install fans in canopy to move air across surface. I have seen these installed as Spanky did next to the feeding lid, and also a small fan installed in the left rear side.

I am OK for now at about 77-79F, but come summertime I will probably have to mod mine also.

Cheers

Archived