Premium Aquatics Aquarium Supplies

So I'm a Geek - Ask your paint and coating questions here!

bobbi_dooley

bobbi_dooley

So I just got done rambling in this post:

Waterproofing wood.

So I figured that I would be more than willing to help with other's problems. I am a paint industry dork. Feel free to knock your questions off me. PM me if needed. My reef dates back to Jan '04.

I know, not a really long time - but hey I haven't killed anything too expensive.

Anyway, I see paint and coating questions on here every once and a while, so I figured - hey, why not try to give back to the forum that has helped me so much.

I want to be more active in the forum that got me started.

Bobbi

Know of a waterproof, reef-safe paint? Not to protect against splash; I mean the real stuff. I'm working on a tank with three sides of plywood and a front acrylic viewing panel. I've gotten some ideas off here in the past, but never a definitive.

Ok why not.. I just bought some Polyurethane to use for my wooden hood based on that same thread you linked to. I just read the can and it says nothing about being water proof, and even says it's for indoor use only, which isn't very reassuring. I also got Rustoleum paint to paint the hood. Will the Polyurethane be good to apply on the underside of the hood for waterproofing, or should I just use the Rustoleum, or should I go get something different?

Thanks!

formerly icyuodd/icyoud2

theres a product called envirotech pour on table surface. (2 part expoy)

you can pour it 1" thick and it dries like glass (you use a heatgun to remove bubbles. it's used alot for casting (coins suspendid in a plastic cube, bug in keychains etc.)

in the past, i've used it on skimboards (used in the ocean) skimboarding, if ya dont know already is like surfing, but in the thin waves that ride up on the beach. the sand usually eats through a board in a season. some of my enviotec boards have lasted 4 seasons.. its very very tough.

is this a reef safe product? will it break down over time with the salt water.

well its kinda paint related :) might be good for the plywood tank if its safe.

bobbi_dooley
Know of a waterproof, reef-safe paint? Not to protect against splash; I mean the real stuff. I'm working on a tank with three sides of plywood and a front acrylic viewing panel. I've gotten some ideas off here in the past, but never a definitive.

check over on reefcentral, I know that their search never works, but many guys have had good luck with sweetwater epoxy paint. good stuff non-toxic (when cured.) it think that Aquatic Ecosystems sells it.

Ok why not.. I just bought some Polyurethane to use for my wooden hood based on that same thread you linked to. I just read the can and it says nothing about being water proof, and even says it's for indoor use only, which isn't very reassuring. I also got Rustoleum paint to paint the hood. Will the Polyurethane be good to apply on the underside of the hood for waterproofing, or should I just use the Rustoleum, or should I go get something different?

Thanks!

the urethane is good, however if untinted my break down, turn yellow, and begin to flake. urethane an be somewhat porus, remeber seting you coke can on mom's nice wood end table, it left a nice ring that never came off. anyway, for incidential water contact either one will work fine. make sure to use several coats and allow them to completely dry- you may want to sand a little between.

bobbi

theres a product called envirotech pour on table surface. (2 part expoy)

you can pour it 1" thick and it dries like glass (you use a heatgun to remove bubbles. it's used alot for casting (coins suspendid in a plastic cube, bug in keychains etc.)

in the past, i've used it on skimboards (used in the ocean) skimboarding, if ya dont know already is like surfing, but in the thin waves that ride up on the beach. the sand usually eats through a board in a season. some of my enviotec boards have lasted 4 seasons.. its very very tough.

is this a reef safe product? will it break down over time with the salt water.

well its kinda paint related :) might be good for the plywood tank if its safe.

yes i would say that the envriotech is reef safe, however - it must be poured. If you attempt to brush or roll it - say, on a vertical surface, it is so thick that you will likely cause pores to form since it has no flow or leveling in a brush or roller applied application.

stoney waters

I cant tell you what kind of paint is best to use on plexiglass, but I can say you have to be careful. I once spray painted the back of a small acrylic tank and it created a thousand little spider web cracks where the paint was applied. I have heard that the solvents in the paint will have that effect on some acrylics.

Archived