Ryans new Tank

Newby-Reefer

Newby-Reefer

Alright guys and gals,

The little 20 gallon isnt cutting it anymore and I got a tank custom build. I went 48" long and 18" wide and high. I got a overflow (4 wide and 5 inches long) in the middle of the tank. It will be drained by 1 inch PVC. This is the first tank I have done with an overflow so here is my question(s).

I want to keep LPS and Clams how many times tank volume should I go? I was thinking 15 times (1000 gph).

I am going to run 2 3/4 inch returns on either side pointing into the center. Will the 1" drain be able to keep up?

What skimmer should I use. NOthing too expensive. I was debating using the coralife one or a Remora?

Last one. I want to keep a CBB in this tank. If I can find one eating frozen will this tank be big enough to house a CBB?

Pictures to come tommorrow if i can remeber how to do it.

Guitargod6453

I'm about to get a CBB in a 64 gallon, so I think you should be alright.

Good Luck

ReefApprentice

CBB?

Not good with acronyms and it's late.

Sinistard
I am going to run 2 3/4 inch returns on either side pointing into the center. Will the 1" drain be able to keep up?

What skimmer should I use. NOthing too expensive. I was debating using the coralife one or a Remora?

It depends on the amount of water you return pump returns. A 1" hole will drain around 600 gph. If you can I would look into making your drain 1.5", you will have more options as far as return pumps since a 1.5" hole can drain around 1200 gph. The 2 3/4" returns are fine.

For a skimmer with a 67 gallon tank you would need at least a remora pro I would guess the remora would be a bit undersized. I dont know anything abou the coralife skimmers.

Good luck.

Newby-Reefer

Sinistard thanks for the tip there. I Bought a quiet one 3000 of my buddy to run the sump but I have decided to run 2 seios (sp?) for circulation. this way I will still get a good flow through my sump without overflowing it and have good water circulation.

I was wondering though how to cycle the tank. Should I add one or 2 small fish let the cycle begin then add my LR or should I just add all my LR first. If I go with fish what should I add first. I was thinking a pair of Pink Skunk Clownfish or a pair of Black Percula Clownfish.

Also here is my stocking list for this tank please tell me if it is too much

-1 Copperbanded Butterfly fish

-2 Pink Skunk Clownfish

-2 Black Percula Clownfish

-1 Flame Angelfish

I know clowns are a little territorial but I was hoping with both these clowns being the smaller of the species that the 4 foot tank would be long enough there wouldnt be a problem.

Guitargod6453

Only pick one pair of the clownfish they will fight, but they may not. Get a cool wrasse like a flasher, fairly, or four line wrasse.

Newby-Reefer
Only pick one pair of the clownfish they will fight, but they may not. Get a cool wrasse like a flasher, fairly, or four line wrasse.

I want fish that are always out and rarley hide. I havent done much research into a wrasse because I always thought they hid and you seen them everyonce and a while.

I was thinking about getting some anthias but still not sure.

Guitargod6453

I'm setting up a 64 gallon tank and here is my fish list,

3- Lyretail or bartletts anthias

1-copperband butterfly

1-True Perc.

1-Shrimp goby/ pistol shrimp combo

1-one more small reef fish, maybe 4 line wrasse.

For you I would go

3-anthias

1-CBB

1-clownfish pair

1-goby or blenny

1-Small reef safe fish

Have fun

fairy wrasses are cool too, theyre shy at first but when they get used to the movement theyll come out, my longfin fairy wrasse got picked on by my female pink skunk though

Newby-Reefer

I am going to do some research on these fairy wrasses could you guys please post pictures of yours.

Archived