Pod Your Reef

Will it kill me not to have one?

aj8302

Hey guys been a while since I posted something. But I was wondering? If I decide not to use a skimmer will my tank not be as nice and healthy as some of the ones out there with a skimmer. I have a skimmer atleast it says its a skimmer. I have a Prizm and that things sucks. So I never use it.

Pet-Lover

depends on you some people dislike skimmers, if you keep ur water changes and stuff at top shape it could be as good as having a skimmmer

As i was told

bowfront26

i have a cpr bakpak and never use it on my 40g. Never really had any algae problems or water quality issues. I change the water every 2 or 3 weeks and have a high bio load. Skimmer can definately be useful, but the prism is a poor skimmer and would rather not use it.

Saltwater

I agree, just keep up on your water changes, do not carry a large Bio load and you should be good.

But I run skimmer-less and carry a hefty load, not some thing i would recommend but ....lol

andiruleu

yeh.. just keep your water changes on schedule... and some corals would thrive in a tank without skimmers because skimmers take out essential elements that are needed for corals.. like xenias thrive more in nonskimming tanks

I have a 20g tank, 2 ocellaris clowns, 5 hermit crabs, 1 brain coral, 1 torch coral, a pair of xenia, 1 toadstool, Some zoos, 1 daisy, 1 leather does that considered as high bioloads? I have been using Prizm since I started this hobby 6 months ago but don't like the sound of the Prizm and thinking of going skimmerless. If I can keep all these without any Prizm that would be great.

Do you guys think I need one for all the above bioloads? Ever since I started this tank I have been doing 15% or 20% water change EVERY week, never missed. Could I keep doing this and run the tank without the Prizm? Need opinion first before I take away the Prizm cause I don't want my tank to crash.

Thanks for the help in advance guys...

Saltwater

weekf - You can run skimmerless with what you have, Softies will do fine. Keep your skimmer until you are comfortable with running this way, you can always hook it back up if you need it.

Just keep up your water changes, excess nutrients have to be exported one way or another. If you run a skimmer to get them out, great. If you do water changes, that's great too. The important thing is that the export gets done.

The only time I hook a skimmer to my tank is when I am on vacation, people love to feed lions for some reason, and they love to over feed ....lol

stonepilot
weekf - You can run skimmerless with what you have, Softies will do fine. Keep your skimmer until you are comfortable with running this way, you can always hook it back up if you need it.

Just keep up your water changes, excess nutrients have to be exported one way or another. If you run a skimmer to get them out, great. If you do water changes, that's great too. The important thing is that the export gets done.

The only time I hook a skimmer to my tank is when I am on vacation, people love to feed lions for some reason, and they love to over feed ....lol

weekf, no problem u dont need that skimmer, I have no problem with my prizm, I clean it twice a month right after a water change and it works great. just keep up with the water changes. do some reading I like reefkeeping dot com, its a magazine and read some of the past issues on tank of the month preferably muchos tank. good luck

formerly icyuodd/icyoud2

will it kill you not to have one?

man i would get a skimmer a.s.a.p.

or the skim reaper will sneak into your home when your sleeping and kill you dead! :)

Archived