Cultivated Reef

The 30G Cube Money Pit

navyav8tr

navyav8tr

Thought I'd throw some pics up of my 30G Cube stand and canopy. This has been a labor of love but a whole lot of planning went in to it. My quest was to make this thing as eye appealing as possible and make it very user friendly. I am not a huge fan of large canopys so I designed a 8" tall canopy with a top that my Aqua Medic 250W MH would sit in so that the canopy wouldn't look extremely tall.

As far as details I have described the lighting but am also supplementing with Actinic PC.

I have two fans in the back that will cool (hopefully).

I am running a Velocity T3 pump on a CLS that returns to a OM squirt which then goes into 4 seperate returns in top.

I had Doss at acrylicsumps.com design me a sump which will contain a Urchin Pro and fuge. Return will be handled by a QO 4000 (not sure if I'll stick with this).

I am hoping to get the stand stained this weekend but I think my wife has other ideas.

post-19113-1146750962_thumb.jpg

post-19113-1146750985_thumb.jpg

Purdy. I'm with you on the ugliness of super tall canopies, and you found an awesome way around it. Can't wait to see this progress.

qascooter

Beautiful stand! I'm thinking of making one for my 30g Jalli cube. Yours is, well, beautiful! Good job. It'll be nice to watch this one progress...

navyav8tr

Thanks for the comments.

Here is another shot. This is from the inside of the canopy and you can see how the MH lighting is sitting in the canopy top. Half of the plumbing is in for the squirt but it will have all 4 return into the top bracing. I am also putting in two fans in the back to help cool.

insidecanopy1.jpg

Great design.

I'm using the QO 4000, and I wanted to ask: will you be using it in-line, or submersed in the sump? I use mine for a CLS, and if you're planning on using it in-line, I think you'd be much happier with a PanWorld or Little Giant-type pump. The QO isn't so quiet, and it has some trouble restarting after unplugging for maintenance, etc. Works great submersed, though - doesn't add much heat at all.

navyav8tr

I am actually using the QO 4000 for the return pump from the sump. I have heard about the restarting problem and am hoping this doesn't happen. The QO will be submerged so the heat and sound shouldn't be a factor.

For my CLS I am going to run a T3 Velocity pump. Now this pump is supposed to be as quiet as it gets but.. is notorious for adding heat. How much heat though that is the question.

navyav8tr

To answer a few questions.

It is not vented on top, yet.. This is somethiing that I have been trying to figure out. It is pretty much enclosed all around so air escaping is one of my concerns. I am considering drilling several small holes in the top so that heat can dissipate. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

As far as staining I am going to stain it the same color as the trim around the tank, cherry oak.

The reason I built it that height is I wanted the tank to be eye level for the average person looking at it. I did this with a 180 gallon and really liked how it turned out. I'll post some pics today of the sump I got yesterday, very sweet.

navyav8tr

Some more pics as promised. I received my sump the other day from acrylicsumps.com and I am very impressed by the quality and appearance of it. I'll get some more detailed pics today. Anyway got some work on the plumbing done. Here are some shots of the back of the tank with enclosure on and with it off.

back_of_stand.jpg

plumbing_back.jpg

This shot is of the inside of the tank. I got this idea from Oogie so thanks man! This is an acrylic overflow box siliconed to the back. The two return lines running down the side are from the sump. It is Teed off at the top. The plumbing is spray painted with krylon fusion. Worked pretty well. The return lines are setup so that it puts some circulation at the bottom of the tank. I am pretty certain I am going to go barebottom on this one.

inside_of_tank.jpg

These two are of the inside of the stand. I got the sump in there and am working the plumbing to and from it right now. The other shot is of the shelf where the t3 velocity pump and MH ballast are sitting. I know it is cramped but I designed it this way. Hopefully it will work fine. I think heat will be an issue here so I will probably throw some fans somewhere nearby.

sump11.jpg

plumbing1.jpg

I am speechless, it looks amazing man. I thought I liked the design of my 30g diy oceanic stand but you BLEW me away. I cant wait to see the progess of your tank.

Excellent job on the setup. I may have to steal a little bit from you on you you mounted the reef keeper so that I can mount my Aqua Controller the same way.

• 4 weeks later...

It has been a while since I have put up any new pics but here is the stand and canopy finally stained and done. The door is done as well but isn't attached. I am shooting for a wet run with everything tomorrow.

stained_stand.jpg

Awesome, awesome job! Very well thought out!

I love the idea of the stand (very similar looking to mine). Some pics of the sump would be awesome.

Well after some plumbing issues I finally got a succesful leak check competed today. I am going to let it run for a couple of days and then bring her in. I added another fan on the top part of the canopy blowing on my MH and then reversed the two fans at the back to suck air out. It should hopefully keep temps in check. Overall I am pleased with how it is running so far. It is actually really quiet which was a big concern. The loudest thing is the MH ballast fan.

I added an old fluidized bed filter which I am going to run carbon through.

Critiques, comments, gripes, and complaints are always welcome :)

leak_check_door_open.jpg

leak_check_inside_stand.jpg

leak_check_inside_canopy.jpg

there should be a contest for the best built stand and canopy !

yours would win!!!!!!!!!!!

I can't wait to see it filled with livestock

Critiques, comments, gripes, and complaints are always welcome :)

Outstanding job ! I do have one question though. How much will you charge to build me one. And I'm not kidding.

:bowdown:

• 2 weeks later...

It is nice to see a reply from Oogie because he is the one that gave me the idea for the 30G cube to begin with. I copied alot of his work. I thank you, my wallet does not. :D

RandalG -> If I can build this anyone can. If you need help building one I can give you as much info as you need as well as lessons learned.

Update on the tnak though. I got a RO/DI unit from purely h20 this week so I am ready to bring it in and set it up. Finally!!!

Archived