inTank Media Baskets

What could I keep with this lighting?

SanDiegoIllini

SanDiegoIllini

Hi there-

I am considering purchasing a dual CF 18w (36w total) satellite fixture from Current USA for use with a 12 gallon tank (standard ~12" depth).

http://www.current-usa.com/satellite.html

What types of livestock would I be able to keep with that amount and type of light? I realize that is on the low end, but I would just be curious what that could support? I would be interested in hearing opinions from anyone about what would not work, but I would especially be interested to hear from anyone who has similar lighting setup about what they have been able to have success with.

-alternatively-

I can't seem to find any higher powered 12" fixtures than that one. I do not like the aesthetics of a clip on light such as the viper MH, nor do I like how much light I believe it would leak out into the rest of the room. Are there any other higher powered small fixtures that anyone knows of other than Current's dual satellite fixture?

Thanks.

ltzryder21

Don't know too much yet :huh: , but with that small of a tank you can probably do everything except hard corals! You bought the double, so that's good! Where did you buy it and for how much??? Great deal here.........http://www.marineandreef.com/shoppro/power_satellite.html

With that light you are looking at zoas, shroom and softies. I suppose you could try some LPS, but dont jump into anything too pricey.

SanDiegoIllini
Don't know too much yet :huh: , but with that small of a tank you can probably do everything except hard corals! You bought the double, so that's good! Where did you buy it and for how much??? Great deal here.........http://www.marineandreef.com/shoppro/power_satellite.html

Hi there-

Actually haven't bought it yet, I'm trying to 'look before I leap' and ensure that amount of light would be adequate for keeping something interesting. I'll be sure to keep that in mind when I do shop around to make my purchase though, thanks!

SanDiegoIllini
With that light you are looking at zoas, shroom and softies. I suppose you could try some LPS, but dont jump into anything too pricey.

Hi there-

Thanks for the input. Definitely Zoas are one of the things I want to try first, from what I read about ease of care and I like the appearnce. So from your suggestion, I am extrapolating that I would basically be looking at 'medium' lighting conditions on the corals listed here (http://www.nano-reef.com/corals/).

I have seen 'frogspawn' mentioned in a bunch of threads, but was unable to find it on that list. Is it an LPS? It should be listed.

Also, a few months down the road when everything is established, if I decide I would like to try an anenome or feather dusters, would lighting be sufficient for that? I know they aren't corals, but they aren't listed on the above page at all.

One more question, about the fixture itself. The pictures show fans on either end, and it looks to basically be in it's own hood. So does that mean it can be rested directly on top of the glass or acrylic top of the tank, or does it need to be mounted in a hood? I wouldn't want to melt or scorch anything. I suppose I can email the manufacturer, but I thought I'd ask here too. Thanks!

a 12 gal is only 12"?? That seems short bcuz my 10gal is 20". Maybe you could fit two of those fixtures on the tank. With one you would be looking at 3 watts per gal. I have 8 per gal of compact flouresent and Ive been told only softies and LPS. No sps or clams. Personally I would not be happy with 3 watts per gal, you probably wouldnt be growing any corraline and your corals probably wouldnt grow much at all. You could keep shrooms, zoos and some LPS, dependant on the type you choose. I have frogspawn, ive kept it in as low as 3 watts per gal of reg. flourescent light and it did well. It grows faster in higher lighting of course. Maybe you could build a custom hood. If your tank is really only 12" then a 70watt metal halide might be the best thing for you, because it will give you much better results in the long run such as more corraline algae growth, better coloration of corals and faster growth.

jeepinreefer

I am running a stock NC6 (3 watts per gal) and only have mushrooms and zoas at the moment. They are growing fine. Of course I am planning to upgrade the lighting. I would suggest looking for more now as opposed to later

debbeach13
a 12 gal is only 12"?? That seems short bcuz my 10gal is 20". Maybe you could fit two of those fixtures on the tank. With one you would be looking at 3 watts per gal. I have 8 per gal of compact flouresent and Ive been told only softies and LPS. No sps or clams. Personally I would not be happy with 3 watts per gal, you probably wouldnt be growing any corraline and your corals probably wouldnt grow much at all. You could keep shrooms, zoos and some LPS, dependant on the type you choose. I have frogspawn, ive kept it in as low as 3 watts per gal of reg. flourescent light and it did well. It grows faster in higher lighting of course. Maybe you could build a custom hood. If your tank is really only 12" then a 70watt metal halide might be the best thing for you, because it will give you much better results in the long run such as more corraline algae growth, better coloration of corals and faster growth.

12" deep not 12" wide

I used that fixture in an 18" deep tank for about a year. You can keep a variety of softies and LPS. Take a look at my tank thread for examples.

No mater what you do just take it slow.

...oh.. and that fixture has no fans.

it does come with some mounting legs to prop it up above the tank.

I used that fixture in an 18" deep tank for about a year. You can keep a variety of softies and LPS. Take a look at my tank thread for examples.

I had 2x18w power compacts and all went ok not much growth to be honest!

I got an oceanlight 170w which fits my 11g. i would have a look on ebay mate much cheaper and better

SanDiegoIllini

That is helpful input. I realize things might not grow very fast with that amount of light, but that would be OK with me because there's not much room for them to grow to in such a small tank, correct?

Right, it's short, because it's a cube. The tank I'm considering is here:

http://www.truvuaquariums.com/aamicro12.html

I'd prefer not to have to try to rig anything myself at this point, I have no experience or tools. But if I did go that road, there's certainly plenty of options on other threads here, there are some very talented and creative people who have shared their ideas! That's why I also asked if anyone knew of any other fixtures that might work. I've searched for about a week, and not found anything. You suggested 70w MH, but the shortest I could find was here:

http://www.current-usa.com/sunpod.html

which would be too long :(

SanDiegoIllini

Your thread was very helpful, thanks! I'll be sure to remember that. From my extensive freshwater experience I recall the dangers of moving too quickly. I've been lurking for a month, and I haven't even bought anything yet, is that slow enough ;)

I see, they must just be vents, not fans. That (hopefully) means it does not run hot enough to require them.

I'd prefer not to use mounting legs. I'd prefer just to set the fixture on the top of the tank, to prevent extra light from leaking out into the room, and to help with the intensity of the light available to the corals in whatever tiny way possible. Plus, I just don't like the open-top legged look. In your thread you mentioned that MH were out due to the acrylic hood. Is that because of the size of it, or because it would melt the acrylic...??? If melting is the case, would I not be able to set even a CF fixture directly on the top? (Of course, I know how you feel about acrylic in general and consider myself warned ;) but I've considered all the options and to me risking a scratch is better than risking a leak, espeically considering the location I plan for this tank)Thanks.

SanDiegoIllini
Also, a few months down the road when everything is established, if I decide I would like to try an anenome or feather dusters, would lighting be sufficient for that?

After reading some more about how anenomes really move around a lot and bulldoze and sting everything in their path, I may omit them. I didn't realize they moved so much, and a small tank doesn't afford much leeway.

Well mushrooms and zooanthids are technically anemones and they are easy to keep and well behaved. The ones commonly seen reefered to as anemones, such as the sebae, condy, bulb tip, or long tentacle are difficult to keep and need high lighting. They also get big and sting your corals. I would not mix corals and anemones of this sort.

After looking at the tank you were thinking of I thought it seemed kind of (extremely) expensive. for that price you can get the 12 gallon nano cube dx with 48watts of pc which would be more than sufficient lighting.

heres the tank: http://www.drsfostersmith.com/Product/Prod...77&N=2004+62760

• 2 weeks later...
Well mushrooms and zooanthids are technically anemones and they are easy to keep and well behaved. The ones commonly seen reefered to as anemones, such as the sebae, condy, bulb tip, or long tentacle are difficult to keep and need high lighting. They also get big and sting your corals. I would not mix corals and anemones of this sort.

After looking at the tank you were thinking of I thought it seemed kind of (extremely) expensive. for that price you can get the 12 gallon nano cube dx with 48watts of pc which would be more than sufficient lighting.

heres the tank: http://www.drsfostersmith.com/Product/Prod...77&N=2004+62760

zoos are anemones? that is the first I have head of that.

Archived