Top Shelf Aquatics

Here's my new Porcelain Crab.

Drysocket

His name is Lefty.  Can you figure out why?  

No. I didn't get a discount.  I didn't notice that he was handy-capable until I got him home.   Missing claws will grow back eventually anyway, won't they?

I got him with the hope that he might take my hammer coral as a host.   He's been hiding under my zoanthids since I dropped him in, though.

PorcelainCrab.jpg

Nice looking crab, I will be very anxious to see if he messes with any of the corals or does anything else bad to the tank. Keep us posted, nice pic,

gaber

Yeah, don't worry about the other claw, as it will grow back with time.  Just keep this guy well fed and hope that he doesn't munch on stuff that you don't want him to.

Those are the crabs that have feather-like appendages for filter feeding, right? Do you have to feed it any special plankton-like foods, or does it do fine with whatever is in the tank? I saw one in an LFS and thought it looked really cool waving those feather-like arms around. I might like to get one if it's appropriate for my tank.

-Chris

Yup.  That's the one.  I've seen him put one of the feather things out a few times so far.   It is really cool to watch.  I hope that there is enough stuff in my tank for him to eat.  I'm going to my LFS tonight to see if I can pick up some sort of plankton that I can add to my tank.  

According to Liveaquaria.com, they also feed on the slime layer on anemones and will sometimes take food pellets if placed near them.  I'm pretty sure that my hammer coral has a slime layer.

I'll keep you posted on how he does.

(Edited by Drysocket at 9:38 am on May 20, 2002)

printerdown01

He will need a plankton supply... I have heard that they feed on phyto but wouldn't be surprised if they will eat both phyto and zoo.... I love those guys! Had one in my 55 for a LONG time... Didn't have to add food to the water in there, but then again I kept lots of filter feeders and they all had an ample food supply in there (in a nano he will def need plankton).... Hey speaking of plankton, does anyone out there have any other GREAT plankton sources besides DTs? -or is this the only stuff you guys trust?? -I'm sure this question will help drysocket out as well, as he is headed out to buy some... Also is there any brands of plankton that you guys DON'T trust? I have heard from many people (whom I trust) only to use LIVE phyto, but I have never heard a brand (save DTs) mentioned...

Archived