SaltCritters.com

Lethal Temperatures

MJD

What is the range for lethal temparature for fish, like a royal gramma and a goby?

MJD

PS my fish died and I am wondering how.

yeah but how low can they go. Just got a new thermometer and my tank was at 69.0!!??! Could this be lethal

MJD

Schwazreef

had a dwarf angle for whom a 95* morning did him in. Dont know how much was temp and how much was disolved O2 issues, but there was a skimmer running at the time. How hot was it?

Id say not lethal, only 3* below the far bottom end, but it can't be good

They do get stressed under abnormal temperature conditions, which could cause them to die.

But what is lethal??

MJD

ZaderMatermorts

I had a little accident when I went away for vacation for a week. My topoff stopped and the return pump wasn't submerged so warm water couldn't circulate up to the display. I'd say that the display was about 65, maybe less. My housemates won't keep the heat in the house any higher than 60 in the winter....so you get the idea. I would guess that my tank was like this for over 24 hours, more like 48. I didn't lose a single fish or coral. No ich or anything. A couple corals bleached, but came back. As long as the normal environment is stable and non-stressful I'd say that fish can survive and tolerate more than we give them credit for.

I order alot of stuff online due to lack of places here with any good saltwater variety and most of the companies I order from tell me down to 50F is safe for shipping most fish and inverts even without a heat pack. However you have to remember fast changes are worse and a change from 80-60 has a good chance of killing them when they might survive a drop to near 50 if they were already acclimated to 70 or the change was much slower. The only time I've lost fish due to temp was when my tank jumped from 78F which was it's normal temp to 86F because the room heated up due to it being a very sunny day. Even then I lost them to illnesses brought on by the stress instead of the actual temp fluctuation. I've never lost a fish to the temp dropping when a heater quit.

Thank You for the responses.

So you are saying they could go down all the way to 50.

My fish are weak

MJD

Archived