Pod Your Reef

What's red and emits redish "ink"?

toddsnanoreef

toddsnanoreef

Sorry, no picture. The other day I noticed something bright red, wide (1/2"+), and fuzzy(?) quickly dissapear back into the rocks, amid a cloud of red (that quickly dispersed).

A quick search showed that "ink" may sometimes come from Sea Hares (Order Anaspidea, a type of sea slug, ink described as "purple" or sometimes "red"), or Cephalopods (Octopus, Cuttlefish, Squid - but this seems very unlikely). If it is a hitchiker Sea Hare, the good news is they are herbivores, but the bad news is the ink can be hazardous to the rest of the tank! Although I doubt it would be hiding in the rocks.

Neither of those seem likely - any other ideas?

formerly icyuodd/icyoud2
sea hare wouldnt be able to move that fast

not true, but i doubt is a hare

could be a sea squirt/sea apple or cucumber.

toddsnanoreef
ive seen them they arnt slow but there not fast

I said "quickly" and I suppose thats relative. It had about 1/2" wide by 1/2" long section visable on the rock only for a couple seconds before it was in the rock, and I suppose the "ink" distracted me.

Sparkling_Surfer
could be a sea squirt/sea apple or cucumber.

Uh, not likely since ascideans (sea squirts) are attached and are unable to retract (don't have the muscles required).

Could be a pooping cucumber (as far as I know, they don't ink)...but they move pretty slow.

My guess is that it is a sea hare. Try to get a picture if you can. And a better description (shape?) wouldn't hurt.

formerly icyuodd/icyoud2

i've had many a sea hare, and believe me they can move fast if the want.

i've never had one ink, and my urchant climbs over my hare all the time.

i also have a sea squirt that lives in a hole in my lr. only a small portion of the squirt is exposed. if its disturbed, it contracts, which gives the illusion its retreating into the lr.

cucumbers can errupt. they basicly blow up! very toxic. it can crash a tank depending ont he cucumber.

could you have a small octopus living in the rock?

Archived