Top Shelf Aquatics

I Need Some Words of Encouragement!

VegasNano

Well here is an update on the prgress of my Nano. I've been cycling the tank for approx 9 days now. The Ammonia level is off the charts! When am I going to see a decline in Ammonia? It seems like it's never going to happen... (I'm trying to be patient!) Is there anything I can do? Or is alot more waiting in my future?

post-19897-1146421893_thumb.jpg

post-19897-1146421905_thumb.jpg

post-19897-1146421917_thumb.jpg

post-19897-1146421929_thumb.jpg

yeah, there is nothing that you can do that will speed the process up. expect a 4 week cycle. nothing good happens quickly in this hobby.

Now's the time where you can see the things you KNOW you didn't put in the tank start to show up... It's like your personal horror-slash-comedy movie.

???

cycled live rock = biological filter.

Thanks guys... I know patience is a virtue... my daughter doesn't help matters... she asks me daily when fish are gonna be in the tank...lol

Should I do water changes during this time?

some people say yes, some say no. i didn't do any water changes during my cycle. some people swear by it though. i also had a skimmer running on my tank the whole time it was cycling, which might speed up the cycle.

some people say yes, some say no. i didn't do any water changes during my cycle. some people swear by it though. i also had a skimmer running on my tank the whole time it was cycling, which might speed up the cycle.

Are you referring to a protien skimmer? If so... which kind?

Are you referring to a protien skimmer? If so... which kind?

yeah, a protien skimmer. i've got the aquac urchin (which is the same as the aquac remora but an in-sump model) and have been pretty happy with it. again,people will argue over which skimmer is the best. i have the remora/urchin and like it. you could check out the remora and see if it would fit on your tank (i'm not sure what you've got).

RayWhisperer

Personal experience here..... Just leave it be.

This may be a prime opportunity to teach your daughter alittle about patience.(btw, I'm not saying anything about your parenting skills, just to be clear.)

The truth is, from my experience, the longer you wait the better. A cycle usually lasts about one month, USUALLY. I've had tanks take longer. Infact, that's just the main portion of the cycle. Tanks usually have unmeasurable cycles for alot longer. Think about it, with every die-off, there comes an ammonia, then nirite, then nitrate spike. With each ammonia and nitrite spike there will be some die-off. Then you also have to take into account how much bacteria dies when each cycle/mini cycle is complete, as there isn't enough food for the amount the colony sustains.

But I digress, one month is usually fine.

As I stated above, I would leave it be. A skimmer might help lessen the severity of a cycle, but I also THINK(not know), that it could also delay a complete cycle. Again, JMO.

Be patient, and have fun.

change water 20% to 25% and drop in more "cycle" to increase the bio. If the ammonia is off the chart it is killing more of the live rock, which make it cycle again. It will stop sooner or later when all of the weak organism die off from the high ammonia. What could go wrong?

:D

VegasNano
change water 20% to 25% and drop in more "cycle" to increase the bio. If the ammonia is off the chart it is killing more of the live rock, which make it cycle again. It will stop sooner or later when all of the weak organism die off from the high ammonia. What could go wrong?

:D

What do you mean by dropping in more "cycle"?

Goto Dr fosters and Smith and type "cycle" in the search and you will see the Concentrated bacterial additive boosts the nitrogen cycle. I hope that helps

Thanks guys... I know patience is a virtue... my daughter doesn't help matters... she asks me daily when fish are gonna be in the tank...lol

Wait it out. You could always tell your daughter that if she makes you put fish in the tank too soon they will die a slow and horrible death, and it will be all her fault...kids love that.

steelerguy
Well here is an update on the prgress of my Nano. I've been cycling the tank for approx 9 days now. The Ammonia level is off the charts! When am I going to see a decline in Ammonia? It seems like it's never going to happen... (I'm trying to be patient!) Is there anything I can do? Or is alot more waiting in my future?

Check this chart out, my cycle followed it exactly:

http://faq.thekrib.com/begin-cycling.html

Don't change the water, your cycle will happen and it will take patience.

pigtails=handles

as everyone else here has said--have a little patients

I have let my 6g cycle for months now--(mainly cause I have been too busy)

TheReefDude

I am not very experienced in the hobby, but I just started my tank about 4 weeks ago, a NanoCube 12g non-deluxe model... all the water i used was taken out from the LFS CORAL TANK, as well as live rock i purchased from one of his established aquarium's. I bought a bag of live sand as well, and then went home and started setting up.... the back wall happened to be shattered so i had too wait until the next morning to go get it replaced.

Next morning I got up and put everything together...I also made my first mistake, I went to another store and bought two hermit's because I HAD too have something in my tank. Did first water test....!@#$% holy crap my parameters gone....out of this world.....

3.5 weeks later my tank still had the same parameters....4 days after that my tank is ready to go....they dropped off that quickly!!! My two hermit's survived the whole ordeal although I'm sure it wasn't comfortable...oops :mellow:

I just got back from the fish store, 1 hermit crab, 2 mexican turbo snail's, 2 nassarius snails (i think), and one Fire Shrimp..... next week I'm going to get my first fish.... this is an amazing hobby, but it doesn't happen overnight!!! I learned that (i am very impatient)... The Natural Ocean Reef is millions of years in the making....so i guess i can wait one month!!!

I also just added a second pump/powerhead, a Rio 90, about 15 bux...

Just kick back and relax!!!!

I'll be watchin for updates...

-SethL.

TrueblueNY

Yo, I know just what you are saying. My girlfriend did the same thing. Everyday, were's the fish. I want Nemo :rolleyes:

Archived