Top Shelf Aquatics

Does anyone eles 'Reef Crystals' salt not dissolve..

ExoticReefer

ExoticReefer

So has anyone been using reef crystals for my last 3 water changes for my 12g nano and been using reef crystals.

When I got the box it was totally clumped up and the bag of salt was compacted almost. So before I put it in my RO water i break up the big chunks and stir it by hand while letting a pretty strong power run in there for a while (as in let powerhead run about 30 mins while occasionally stirring by hand every 5 mins or so). Still always some of the salt did not disolve.

I can get the s.g. I want and use the water but try not to dump and of the excess salt in. But anyone else using Reef Crystals brand made by Aquarium Systems. Ive read this to be highly recommened salt mix on many of these forums.

Maybe I got an old box? Any thoughts or am I the only one complaining about a little left over salt? (And I only mix about 2-4 gallons at a time in a 5 gal bucket).

formerly icyuodd/icyoud2

its had moisture in the bag, and its harder to disolve the second time around.

i had the same problem with a batch of io salt. when i called to ask about it they said and i quote

"when in doubt, throw it out!"

5 days later i had 5 boxes show up in the mail (to equal the 50g bag a purchased)

I was using reef crystals before my closest LFS closed and I thought it disolved great. Also seemed to keep my CA up better than what I am using now. I forget the name comes in a blue jug.

ExoticReefer

yea..i switched from oceanic which dissolved completely in under 1 min with no powerhead. Now Ive been running this powerhead near all day long with the Reef Crystals and still not dissolved completely.

I thought my batch could have possibly got wet because it was kind of clump but I thought that may be due to the fact it is crammed in a box that can barely hold that much salt. The salt came seeled in a bag inside the box so I do no see how moisture would have gotten to the salt before I purchased it. And Ive had the problem with it disolving since day one.

Should I call Aquarium Systmes (product maker) and ask if it is any good or if this is normal? No satisfaction guarantee on box though.

ndicereefer

you might want to call them, I use reef crystals and it's true it does take time to mix with your water but I have used this salt since it came out and I love how easy it is to maintain your pars, I used Oceanic for awhile but had a hard time keeping my calcium down and pars stable.

ExoticReefer

To tell the truth since my tank has begun my Ca levels have dropped since using Reef Crystals from a low 270 to 240 now. I was gonna start adding kalk but figured I would try the Reef Crystals since it claims lots of extra calcium.

But I did treat for cynao last week and on the box it says it may throw your alk. and pH out of wack. Yes it did, my alk. has never gone that low and now

I think I will dose it again this week but thats another story. Would 'Red Slime Remover' have any affect on my Ca readings? just a thought.

Archived