Pod Your Reef

Well WaterWeld is apparently reef safe....

wheelspin

formerly icyuodd/icyoud2

theres no way in hell i'd use that in an aquarium.

if it was safe to fix an aquarium, they would use that as a selling point.

and nowhere does it say (website or package) that its safe for salt water.

salts corrosive, how's that stuff gonna stand up? i've used it to fix gas tanks, multiple times in a row (cause the weld breaks down over time in this particular application)

I have used ACE store brand plumbers putty stuff that does the same as above for several years with no problem in my aquariums, including a 2.5 gallon. I find it hard to beleive that the stuff the aquarium stores sell for 4x as much for a stick half the size is a different formula.

Jerome

formerly icyuodd/icyoud2

dont get me wrong, i dont use any glues/putties in my aquariums ever!.

i have alot of hobbies, sculpture,woodcarving,custom damascus knives and swords, glass blowing and the list goes on.

the one thing i've learned over the years about glue/putty/etc etc. theres always that one batch that doesn't work the way its surposed to. be it not curing properly, taking longer to cure than the package states, weak bonds etc etc.

nobodies perfect, even large companies. they do screw up. i've called many 1-800 numbers, and have recieved many different answers to why set products have not worked (with free replacements in the mail shortly there after)

i'd never take the risk with my aquariums, i have way to much invested.

besides, who needs glue.

IMG_6048.jpg

intime, corals attach themselves :)

Yeah, but in the mean time, hermit crabs make a game out of seeing how many frags they can tumble off the LR. What's wrong with gel surerglue?

formerly icyuodd/icyoud2
Yeah, but in the mean time, hermit crabs make a game out of seeing how many frags they can tumble off the LR. What's wrong with gel surerglue?

never had that problem. i have 30ish hermitts, a blue tuxedo urchant, 8" serpent star and 2 giant (bigger than a golfball) turbo snails.

heres what i do. find a suitable hole or crevice in the lr for set frag. files/dremels/even kitchen knives can be use to asure the perfect fit ie removing material from the fragg or lr in somecases. then i just force the fragg inplace. its like a giant jigsaw puzzle.

the fraggs will do the rest.

stoney waters

I agree with Jerome, I have used several marine two part epoxies in the past with out a problem. It must be safe for human consumption if it says it can be used on water lines, I cant see it being detrimental to corals.

I think most "reef safe" epoxies on the market are a similar product repackaged for the reefing community at double the price. JMO though.

-Stone

formerly icyuodd/icyoud2

riddle me this batman :) if jb weld is ok to use with salt water why do they sell?

http://jbweld.net/products/marine.php

:)

never knew it was used on sea turtles though :)

jb weld-It's water-proof; petroleum-, chemical-, and acid-resistent; resists shock, vibration, and extreme temperature fluctuations, and withstands temperatures up to 500° F. J-B WELD is super strong, non-toxic, and safe to use.

jb marine-It's impervious to saltwater, chemicals, oil, acids, and other corrosive materials, and tolerates extreme temperature fluctuations.

doesnt that kinda give you the feeling that it breaks down in salt water?????????

stoney waters
riddle me this batman :) if jb weld is ok to use with salt water why do they sell?

http://jbweld.net/products/marine.php

:)

"Out of the mouths of Boy Wonders oft-times come gems" ;)

Two different products for two different purposes. Epoxy putty is used to fill gaps voids and structural support bonding. Its thick no run no drip consistency makes it ideal for attaching corals to rock. The semi liquid nature of the JB Weld Marine makes it ideal when a thin film bond is required. It is most likely the same type of material used to encapsulate the motors in power heads. I have used both types of epoxies in and around my aquariums for years and would not hesitate to use either of these products in small quantities.

In general I avoid sealants and adhesives that contain anti-fungal agents. Again JMO.

-Stone

Archived