ReefCleaners.org

New Contest Poll

ereefer

New Contest  

112 members have voted

1. 1. Are you willing to enter a new nano contest?

• yes
    • no
  2. 2. what size reef do you want to participate in?

• 1 gal
    • 2.5 gal
    • 5 gal
    • 10 gal
  3. 3. Entry fee

• $20
    • $15

ReefApprentice

How about a 5, 10 and 20 gallon open. They all run for a year. Judging is not based on how expensive everything is but how creative and unusual everything is. More based on equipment and livestock then the pictures.

Alex

• Replies 157
  • Created
  • Last Reply
How about a 5, 10 and 20 gallon open. They all run for a year. Judging is not based on how expensive everything is but how creative and unusual everything is. More based on equipment and livestock then the pictures.

Alex

Adding a third category complicates things alot.... too much, 20 gallon is too big and too expensive. Let's focus on details now

10 gallon stock : we need to pick lighting and filtration rules

My idea: 10 gallon with max 2.5 gal sump and 64 watt pc maximum, lee's counter current skimmer, and no reactors that maximize water volume.

Could we pick a light and skimmer and return pump, and maybe in tank powerhead to set the standard?

5.5 Open

My idea : unlimited lighting filtration and skimmer......etc

Maximum 11 gal water volume.

All tank judging based on

1. Growth of corals

2. creativity of design(total design for open and rock placement coral selection....etc for stock)

3. Overall aesthetic view

In that order we could develop a point system that will standadize the voting. Also if the site would give us new user names for the contest so that who has the tank will only be revealed in the end to prevent any favortism among more popular people(just a thought). ex) Opencontestent1, stockcontestant2...etc

etc

Well, may as well add in that third category; I can't make heads or tails of what you're proposing.

I'm waiting for CM to tell me what to do; he makes sense.

Adding a third category complicates things alot.... too much, 20 gallon is too big and too expensive. Let's focus on details now

10 gallon stock : we need to pick lighting and filtration rules

My idea: 10 gallon with max 2.5 gal sump and 64 watt pc maximum, lee's counter current skimmer, and no reactors that maximize water volume.

Could we pick a light and skimmer and return pump, and maybe in tank powerhead to set the standard?

5.5 Open

My idea : unlimited lighting filtration and skimmer......etc

Maximum 11 gal water volume.

All tank judging based on

1. Growth of corals

2. creativity of design(total design for open and rock placement coral selection....etc for stock)

3. Overall aesthetic view

In that order we could develop a point system that will standadize the voting. Also if the site would give us new user names for the contest so that who has the tank will only be revealed in the end to prevent any favortism among more popular people(just a thought). ex) Opencontestent1, stockcontestant2...etc

etc

Yep i like the way thast is mate, sounds good

:D

Also if the site would give us new user names for the contest so that who has the tank will only be revealed in the end to prevent any favortism among more popular people(just a thought). ex) Opencontestent1, stockcontestant2...etc

etc

Thats a pretty damn good idea, gives everyone an equal 'advantage' then, since the ones known for making good tanks wont have biased people voting for them :D

Well, may as well add in that third category; I can't make heads or tails of what you're proposing.

I'm waiting for CM to tell me what to do; he makes sense.

Since i am not the final say on the third category i just vote against it, nothing personal but i just don't like the idea.

Since i am not the final say on the third category i just vote against it, nothing personal but i just don't like the idea.

same here, but i'm only entering if there is an open 5.5 category anyways :P

I agree don't like the idea of the third catagorey, but hey im only entering the 5.5 aswell maybe there;s a few out there that want to do the 20gal,

BlndFshNoIz

I was just wondering how and who set up the previous contests? Was it done by popular vote as the winners were chosen, or did the mods get together and decided on the specifics?

After reading 7 pages of bla, bla, blah.....

I think any size tank, with any lighting and any filter system......

The only catch would be, that you can only put "ONE" item in the tank.

It would save time, money and bla, bla, blah.....

ReefApprentice

I want a 20g so I can continue with my project and be included in a little contest of sorts. I don't see why it is a bad idea, but if they couldn't get more than 4-6 people then cancel it. ;)

Alex

I want a 20g so I can continue with my project and be included in a little contest of sorts. I don't see why it is a bad idea, but if they couldn't get more than 4-6 people then cancel it. ;)

Alex

thats the trouble, finding a bunch of people who want to commit to a 20g tank. that is probably larger than the tanks of half the people on here. everyone can find the room for a 5.5g, but a 20 is a more serious undertaking, in more ways than one.

like one zoanthid or only keep zoos?

By item, I am thinking, one group.....

Leathers

Zoos

Shrooms

Clove Polyps

Brains

Just a mass of the same item.....I think there would be some great looking tanks. :P

By item, I am thinking, one group.....

Leathers

Zoos

Shrooms

Clove Polyps

Brains

Just a mass of the same item.....I think there would be some great looking tanks. :P

not a bad idea, but don't people already sorta do this? since what you can keep is largely dictated by your lighting, softies are kept in tanks with stock lights, lps + softies in tanks with pcs, and sps in tanks with MH. it would be interesting to implement some sort of restriction though: i.e. only softies, only lps, or only sps, but again, that would further narrow down the categories, and if this is anyhing like the last contest (in terms of participants), there would only be 2 or 3 people in each category.

It would be an open choice.....

Each person would pick their item.....

That way everyone could pick an item they felt good about.

Who's to say a tank of anyone item looks better than another..... :D

if you keep narowing it down to specifics you'll get less contestents...

you may not lose contestants, but you will definitely have only a couple people in each category

rebelreefer
if you keep narowing it down to specifics you'll get less contestents...

I agree with Fishfreak.

The interest in this topic seems to have waned a bit since you started discussing very specific constraints. I was thinking, after watching the last contest that I might like to do my first tank in a contest but with talk of species contraints, dollar limits, etc...I think I'll probably pass.

Id rather do something along the lines of a biotope for my own educational reasons or just leave the stock choices open. When I do my first nano, I want to have as much variety as I can support with whatever equipment I choose.

also, If this isnt run by the site, Im starting to envision a logistical nightmare regarding the organization, management and judging of this thing since you're talking about a long time from start to finish.

just my 2.

also, If this isnt run by the site, Im starting to envision a logistical nightmare regarding the organization, management and judging of this thing since you're talking about a long time from start to finish.

agreed. i think everyone is going to wait for another n-r.com sanctioned one anyways. we are just throwing ideas (dreams) around here.

agreed. i think everyone is going to wait for another n-r.com sanctioned one anyways. we are just throwing ideas (dreams) around here.

My idea was never species specific, just a 5.5 open and 10 stock. Stock would have equipment limitations to allow everyone to have a fair chance. Forget all the silly singe species..... i am not interested in that at all. Hopefully NR will take our great ideas and use them to have a contest with killer prizes from entry fees

i think we all know what you want to do, ereefer. But just look at the votes. I think its best to do a 5-10 gallon open and stock tank, as these are the sizes that got the most votes. But you've got to allow ten gallon tanks in both categories because thats the popular vote.

i think we all know what you want to do, ereefer. But just look at the votes. I think its best to do a 5-10 gallon open and stock tank, as these are the sizes that got the most votes. But you've got to allow ten gallon tanks in both categories because thats the popular vote.

I did look at the votes and I came up with two categories to keep starting costs down for everyone... 4 categories is a lil too much. I didn't appreciate your first sentance. I don't talk to you like that.... don't talk to me like that.

Archived