Premium Aquatics Aquarium Supplies

Livestock Suggestions for Eclipse 6

SaltyMember

SaltyMember

Hi, I have an unused Eclipse 6 system that I would like to use for a nano set-up.  I am not looking to upgrade lighting right away.  Thinking of some live rock with maybe one fish and a shrimp, or maybe just a shrimp with a hermit.  Any suggestions or advice would be appreciated.  This would be the first time I am attempting such a small salt setup.  I had a 29 gallon FO setup in the past.

Nishant3789

if u are set on the eclipse 6 then go for it, id recomend the 2-3X13watt lighting from AHsupplky then get bulbs from hellolights.com . but if ure not then consider a glass tank thats also bigger like a ten gallon. they are very nce and easier to get parts for. well hth,

nishant

My Alife 7

I recommend not setting up a SW tank with the eclipse6 at all. (I'm telling you from experience) These tanks scratch very easily and the hood is a pain to deal with. You always have to remove the entire hood just to work inside the tank. Also, if you do upgrade the lights, it's going to get real hot under that hood as well... But since you already have the eclipse6... maybe set up a FW instead with this tank...?

printerdown01

Saltymember, what wattage is the light in the eclipse 6? I'm one of the few people around here that will tell you that you can make a nano using NO bulbs... But I'll need more info before I can help... It will seriously curtail what you can put in your tank!! However, if you are going to do an up-grade on your lighting some day, then you MIGHT be able to start the nano now... The "darker" period will give your coralline a head start on growth too!! Not promising anything... -Thanks

SaltyMember

Thanks for the responses.  After reading your comments and doing a search using "Eclipse" on this site I am scratching the Eclipse idea and thinking of going with a 7gal mini-bow or a 10 gal tank instead.  After reading what's involved with upgrading the lights on the Eclipse I decided it wouldn't be worth it.  It seems that I would be able to upgrade easier with the 7 or 10.  

I still would like to get some input on stocking suggestions though.  Probably won't upgrade lights for a couple of months so I know that will be a consideration.  Thanks again.

If you have the Eclipse, I would still consider keeping it.  I have the Eclipse 6 and I think it makes an excellent reef setup....it is really cheap (compared to the all-glass mini-bow tanks), comes with the enclosed filtration system (which is nice for water movement and increasing filtration), and I haven't noticed that many scratches on the acrylic and I am always moving the rocks around.  Upgrading the lights on the Eclipse is quite easy.  I am using the 32W CSL supernova (which I purchased from this site's store) and it was an extremely easy retrofit...it took me maybe 15 minutes.  You will have to trim down the screw holes to secure the light but that is the only trimming of the hood needed.  You can add small fans to keep the heat down and "hide" them from view in the back of the hood.  Lastly, I think the tank looks nicer than the mini-bows.  In my opinion, if you have it, use it.          

My Alife 7

pwrslcjkr,

just wondering, but how long have you had your eclipse 6 up and running?

SaltyMember,

For a tank about 7 gallons, I'd suggest only 1 fish. Also general rule of thumb is 1 snail per gal. and 1 hermit per 2 gal. unless there's a huge algae problem.

printerdown01

I agree with pwrslckr: If you have it use it! I too have up-graded the lights to a 32W CSL SmartLight... Took me a little over 20 min (I was photographing and documenting the entire process). -for anyone out there thinking of doing this- Hindsight is that I would have used a 28W PC and then added another one later.... But if you do decide to go with the 7 gallon, and don't want to mess around with DYI projects, I would recommend the Alife 7. It is a 7.5 gallon bowfront, with 27 Watts of PC, and a filtration system in back (which is also a great place to hide heaters and thermometers- keeps everything out of sight).

**ok, sorry, now to answer your orig question... One fish and one shrimp could be kept in a 7 gallon as well... Just remember to keep the fish small and inactive (won't have much room to swim around in a 7). If you go with something similar to an Alife your livestock options are fairly decent (I've seen 2 people with clams in this set-up)! -not to mention that it will cost you sig less $$ to stock the tank!

My Alife,  I've had my eclipse running now for about 5 months.  Just added my first coral (a small rock with 4 green mushrooms) which I got really cheap ($5) from my LFS.

SaltyMember

All of your responses have been very helpful.  Even some of you recommend keeping the Eclipse, I am not sure I will go that way.  But, I understand your point of view.      As far as fish, I was thinking of one Percula clown with possibly a cleaner shrimp, as well as clean up crew.  From your responses I should be okay with that, but please tell me otherwise.

I also have a question about substrate.  I know the benefits of a deep sand bed, but it seems impractical if not impossible for a nano.  My question then is, how deep for sand.  I was thinking 1 to 2 inches of live sand.  Would like opinions on that also.  

Printerdown......bye the way the Eclipse6 has an 8 watt NO bulb.  In terms of upgrading lighting in the future, I like the CSL Smartlight 32W since I don't have to mess with wiring and the ballast is remote.  Just thought I would let you know.   Again, I really appreciate all of your comments.  This is my first nano attempt and I want to take my time, learn and be successful.

Nishant3789

your livestock sounds great u shouldnt have a prob with it. the lighting i think is great if u go with the 32 watt smartlight0 they were meant for eclipses. well hth

nishant

SaltyMember

All of your responses have been very helpful.  Even some of you recommend keeping the Eclipse, I am not sure I will go that way.  But, I understand your point of view.      As far as fish, I was thinking of one Percula clown with possibly a cleaner shrimp, as well as clean up crew.  From your responses I should be okay with that, but please tell me otherwise.

I also have a question about substrate.  I know the benefits of a deep sand bed, but it seems impractical if not impossible for a nano.  My question then is, how deep for sand.  I was thinking 1 to 2 inches of live sand.  Would like opinions on that also.  

Printerdown......bye the way the Eclipse6 has an 8 watt NO bulb.  In terms of upgrading lighting in the future, I like the CSL Smartlight 32W since I don't have to mess with wiring and the ballast is remote.  Just thought I would let you know.   Again, I really appreciate all of your comments.  This is my first nano attempt and I want to take my time, learn and be successful.

Salty, welcome to Nano-Reef.com! I will go ahead and give you my general two cents. You seem to have a lot of knowledge for just starting out again. That will definately help you. I would suggest a 7 bow with a 32 watt smartlight. Go for around 2-2.5 inches of a good sand (southdown or similar sand). That will let you keep a whole lot of coral. It will also let you keep a fish, ( i would go with the false perc., oscellaris) and a shrimp. Such as a cleaner. Good luck and keep the questions comming. Get yourself some nice liverock. Don't compromise with the rock, it plays a huge role in the cosmetics of your tank, go all out if you can. Use the hermits sparingly. I would suggest a small variety (say, 5 or so) of blue legs, scarlet reef, and red legs. And for snails go with a few more, and atreas are my personal fav. Just thought I would throw my thoughts at you. That is how I would do it at least, but everyone puts there own touches on the tank. :-) Maybe that eclipse could be used a refugium, all you would need extra would be the rock and sand in the tank, and a pump and syphon system (DIY of course)... Or you could just put a mandarin in it... tehehe, just kidding. HTH

gaber

My Alife 7

I'm just speaking from personal experience of why I know the eclipse acrylic tanks suck. But if anyones using them and are having success with them, congrats to you. If I were starting out though and wanted a tank under 10 gallons, the Alife tank or the AGA Bowfront is the way to go.

Archived