Cultivated Reef

Nano Cubers--6 and 12 What's in your 2nd chamber?

stevel48

I tried the advice given on the jbj NC6 intructions about taking the ceramic and bio balls out of chamber 2 and adding live sand but that toally stopped the flow of water. Did it work for others? The whole gap at the bottom of chamber 1 gets filled with sand and doesn't allow the water to flow though the filter sponge.

advice?

jeepinreefer

Steve I run a NC6, and I just changed out from using sponges since 8/2005 to using LR rubble in chambers 1 & 2. Trying to go natural. If I had the chance to do it again, I would have made sure I put some egg crate in the bottom to avoid plugging the gap at the bottom. It would also make it easier to remove the rubble later by putting zip ties to grab onto. Those chambers are too small to reach your hand down into.

Steve I run a NC6, and I just changed out from using sponges since 8/2005 to using LR rubble in chambers 1 & 2. Trying to go natural. If I had the chance to do it again, I would have made sure I put some egg crate in the bottom to avoid plugging the gap at the bottom. It would also make it easier to remove the rubble later by putting zip ties to grab onto. Those chambers are too small to reach your hand down into.

Good ideas. I was maybe thinking of putting the live sand in some nylon and i like your idea of some egg crate at the bottom. maybe 1 inch in height so i dont restric the flow.

Do the LR rubble, not the sand, thats y it got clogged. Adding a small stand with eggcrate and small pieces of pvc is a good idea too to lift the LR off the bottom

jeepinreefer

Putting live sand in a nylon will probably make you have to rinse it periodically or it would build up gunk, I dont know if you would gain any benifit from doing that.

Putting live sand in a nylon will probably make you have to rinse it periodically or it would build up gunk, I dont know if you would gain any benifit from doing that.

mmmmmmmmmm, i'll get some rubble for the 2nd chamber. toss the ceramic and bio balls. Surface skimmer is on the way as well. I've always done lager reef and fish tanks but i have to say, I love the nano deal. it's lower cost and easier to maintain or at least i think so...so far. Frequent water changes in small amounts is a lot better than the 25 gal saturday change i was farmiliar with.

I'm currently using rock rubble and the stock carbon bag that came with the tank, but i'll be changing it tonight when i get home.

Chamber 1: Filter floss

Chamber 2: Rock Rubble/Seachem Purigen

Chamber 3: Heater/pump

Archived