ReefCleaners.org

clowns fighting? or mating? or what...

silicon_dt

Just got 2 new clowns. One of them has hosted my anemone.

They will sometimes run up to each other and show their sides.. then wiggle a little... it looks like they are trying to act macho...

They don't really fight.. like biting or nothing..

What is this??

--Daniel

Usually, the female or future female (the larger of the two) will start the bickering. The fact that they never really harm eachother means they are probably begining to become a pair. The male may flee every now and then, but he should venture back. This will probably go on for a while until they get used to eachother.

What are their sizes? The fact that they were recently introduced together tells me they are just starting to pair up. It's kind of a mock fight, hence the wriggling. It may get a little more intense but nothing too serious. If it does get bad, remove them, and get two juveniles of similar size. That way they grow up together getting rid of this period where they fight.

Seizures yes.

He keeps comming back to the anemone too.

Weird guys... This is nothing like when I put 2 maroons together hehe (my mistake)

Now that was fighting!

...He keeps comming back to the anemone too...

I'm pretty sure they're just starting to pair up.

Exactly how long have they been in the tank?

What are their sizes?

2 days so far. One is maybe half an inch larger then the other.

The bigger one seems to be the one doing most of the seizures lol.

I'm pretty sure they're just starting to pair up.

Exactly how long have they been in the tank?

What are there sizes?

VannReefer87

thats odd, the seizure thing, from what i've read, is a sign of showing dominance to the other fish. Usually the male will do this in front of the female. But males are usually small than females. But I'd agree with aquaman, if they aren't hurting each other just let them allow they are probably starting to pair. Mine fought pretty severely for a while but now they're fine. What kind of clowns are they?

False percs.

thats odd, the seizure thing, from what i've read, is a sign of showing dominance to the other fish. Usually the male will do this in front of the female. But males are usually small than females. But I'd agree with aquaman, if they aren't hurting each other just let them allow they are probably starting to pair. Mine fought pretty severely for a while but now they're fine. What kind of clowns are they?

I wouldn't worry, this behavior is very normal. I got the clowns I have now when they were pretty young, about the same size, and this behavior still persisted. The fact that one is half an inch longer than the other explains the aggresion. The larger one will probably become the female so she's just trying to get the male in line. The severity of this behavior will decline as they pair up.

Archived