Live Rock

ParticipationTrophyWife

ParticipationTrophyWife

Hi,

I set up my first 10-gallon nano 4 years ago. When I first set it up, I bought 20 lbs of LR, not knowing what I was buying, and it turned out to be pretty good rock. The pet store I bought it from has since closed down.

Now I am setting up a 10 in the children's section of the library, and it has been so long since I bought rock, can someone advise me of the different kinds, which kinds are best, and where to buy them (online ok)? Links with pictures are fine too.

I'm sorry if this has been discussed before elsewhere here- I've been on the site for a long time but don't always have time to browse all the posts (2 kids takes care of that).

Thanks for all your help.

Tasha

formerly icyuodd/icyoud2

if i could only give you one piece of advice, it would be hand pick your lr.

you'll be much happier in the long run. the more porus the better. doesnt matter what kind. look for cool shape/critter/corals/algae and anything else you can find on the rock. the more life the better. stay away from foul smelling rock, avoid having it shipped and purchase it cured.

have the lfs show you all sides of the rock, and visualize how it will work in your system. it will make aquascaping that much easier and successful.

Hi,

I set up my first 10-gallon nano 4 years ago. When I first set it up, I bought 20 lbs of LR, not knowing what I was buying, and it turned out to be pretty good rock. The pet store I bought it from has since closed down.

Now I am setting up a 10 in the children's section of the library, and it has been so long since I bought rock, can someone advise me of the different kinds, which kinds are best, and where to buy them (online ok)? Links with pictures are fine too.

I'm sorry if this has been discussed before elsewhere here- I've been on the site for a long time but don't always have time to browse all the posts (2 kids takes care of that).

Thanks for all your help.

Tasha

For a 10g tank I would suggest a rock with a lot of nice shapes as you dont have too much room to work with. In bigger tanks you can clump large pieces together to "make" shapes and crevices...not so in small tanks.

So the best type of rock would be something like Marshall Island. It has lots of holes and crevices so you can get interesting shapes with just small pieces of rock. Its pricey, closer to $8.00/lb whereas other types are $5-$6/lb, but the fact you are only buying small amounts help.

For my 10g I had about 10lbs or Marshall Island rock.

Your BEST bet would be to talk to some local reefers and see if they have any for sale. You can cherry pick small but shapely pieces of rock and get the best price.

Wherever you buy the rock from make sure it doesnt have a bad smell and make sure it isnt covered in algae, aiptasia or other unwanted pests.

Personally I dont like ordering live rock online because I like to pick each piece individually because that way I can get a clear idea of how they will all fit together.

tasha! long time haven't seen! :wub: a number of '02ers coming out of the woodwork lately.

fiji is my preferred choice for LR, quality and shape. some people prefer the marshall saying it's better but i'm not sold on it.

the aquacultured types (e.g. tampa bay saltwater) might be better for hitchhiker freebies but i'm not sure on shape.

i'm not a lover of the tonga branch. it may be higher quality but i just don't like the shapes.

i would list shape as the number one criteria. the aquascaping makes the tank imho. ugly rocks and the tank is ugly (until completely overgrown with pretty corals maybe). that's why i prefer fiji as they usually have good shapes. but i also agree with the cherry-pick suggestions.

the degree of "liveness" isn't as important to me because you can always seed it with good prime pieces, usually the base of the corals you end up getting.

welcome back! :welcome:

Archived