Cultivated Reef

Tiny anemone looking thing?

freakaccident

freakaccident

This thing is about 1/4" in diameter. It just appeared out of no where. It has a bright red outer skin and small white tentacles that appear that there maybe bubbles on the ends of them. It is very small so it is hard to tell. It will retract into the red skin if you mess with it and then it looks like a small red ball. Last night I decided to shoot some sweetwater zooplankton at it with an eye dropper. It seemed to grab a chunk, turn into a ball around it, and slowly ingest it. About ten minutes later it opened up again and had a small skinny white stem sticking out of the middle of the tentacles. Any idea what this is?

chances are it is an aiptasia-ish anemone. leave t alone and watch to see what it grows into.

What kind of rock do you have? it might help to rule out some things.

freakaccident

How long are the tentacles?

Too short to measure on a standard ruler. Probably 1/32 of an inch. The pistol or stem sticking out the middle after I feed it is probably 1/8" long though.

Is it open only during the day, night, or both?

Both

Does it move?

Not yet but it got there somehow.

How tall is it?

When open it is flatter and probably 1/16" high. When closed it is probably 1/8" high.

Got a pic?

No. I will try to borrow my room mates digi cam tonight.

What kind of rock do you have?

Fiji mixed from other people's tanks. This thing appeared shortly after I added a cup of live sand from Florida. I looked at pics of every anemone I could find and it doesn't look like any of them. It doesn't appear to have grown very much in the last few months either. I haven't been feeding it though so maybe it will start to grow. I noticed when feeding this morning that it seems to know when the food is coming because it opens up wide.

Archived