Cultivated Reef

Pistol Shrimp

senso

I recently lost (jumped out) the goby I had with my Japanese pistol in my 24NC. I have since found another mated coral banded/goby pair that I am buying.

For those with experience with the pistol shrimp can you please advise what I should do with the original japanese pistol

1. remove from tank

2. leave in as the two shrimp should not be a problem

3. leave in and get another goby

I recently lost (jumped out) the goby I had with my Japanese pistol in my 24NC. I have since found another mated coral banded/goby pair that I am buying.

For those with experience with the pistol shrimp can you please advise what I should do with the original japanese pistol

1. remove from tank

2. leave in as the two shrimp should not be a problem

3. leave in and get another goby

Why not just buy another goby?

In a 24g they will eventually pair up.

I dont think I would go with 2 S/G pairs in that size tank.

2 shrimp may not be a problem as long as the new S/G pair dont decide they like its burrow.

Best option: just add another goby.

Second best: IF you NEED to buy this other S/G pair, be prepared to possible remove the original pistol shrimp...or whichever the goby doenst pair with

Thanks for the input. Yes, your first option was my ideal, however, the LFS has them paired and insists they go as a pair.

I will try leaving the 2 shrimp in and watch carefully.

From what I have read on this forum and other places, two gobies in a 24G is not an option.

formerly icyuodd/icyoud2

maybe im missing something, but a coral banded shrimp is not a pistol shrimp.

also cbs aren't usually very tolerant of other shrimps.

sounds like bad news to me. :)

goby's aren't tolerant of conspecifics however if they are diffent types, 2 would probably be fine in a 24g nano.

maybe im missing something, but a coral banded shrimp is not a pistol shrimp.

also cbs aren't usually very tolerant of other shrimps.

sounds like bad news to me. :)

goby's aren't tolerant of conspecifics however if they are diffent types, 2 would probably be fine in a 24g nano.

You are correct - there is no coral banded/goby pair. It is in fact a pistol shrimp and goby combo. Mistake on my part.

I will let you know how it works out. For now i will keep the two shrimp and watch carefully. If there is a problem I will remove.

You are correct - there is no coral banded/goby pair. It is in fact a pistol shrimp and goby combo. Mistake on my part.

I will let you know how it works out. For now i will keep the two shrimp and watch carefully. If there is a problem I will remove.

Yeah, just keep an eye on it. Good luck.

With respect to the types of gobies compatible with shrimp, I have read that the ones that are likely to 'mate' with the pistol shrimp are of the genera Amblyeleotris or Stonogobiops. Has anyone had success with any of the Cryptocentrus, Gobiodon or Elacatinus.

Please share your Goby experiences of differing genera coexisting peacefully as well as cohabitating with shrimp.

Archived