Innovative Marine Aquariums

6 gallon Tru Vu evolution...

Micro-Reefs Aquariums

• Replies 152
  • Created
  • Last Reply

all i have to say is beautiful, im in the process of buttoning up the clean look in my eclipse 12, which i love about your tank everything is perfect looking with no cords going everywhere, also you are lucky to be paying only 6.99 a pound for live rock, here in the big OHIO i have to either order it or force to pay $8.99 a pound for the crappiest looking uncured fiji live rock!

Micro-Reefs Aquariums
Mike,

Tank is looking good. I've been following this thread for some time, and have done a bit of research on these cubes for myself. There are however, a few questions I still have, that I hope you may be able to answer for me before I make my final decision to buy.

First - With regards to the canopy you just recently added. Is the rear of the canopy open? In other words, are there just 3 vertical sides to it (left, right, front)?

Second - Now that you have had the tank up and running a short while (both times), and assuming that you've been performing some routine maintenance. What are your thoughts on the design of the rear chambers? Media chamber, etc.? Are they large enough (and yes, I have not forgotten this is a nano sized tank)? Are they suited well for all types of media? Is flow ok? Please be honest.

Third - What's circulation like in your tank? I know you installed that loc-line nozzle, and it appears that it is directed at an appx. 45deg upwards. It doesn't seem ideal, but tell me your take on it.

Lastly, just as you. I am obsessive/compulsive about clean lines, consealment, and wire management, but usually try to satisfy functionality first. You comment on the perfectly snug fit of the canopy over the Current light fixture, and I've noticed the vents for your fans are located on the endcaps of the housing. How is it going so far with temps?

Thanks in advance for your assistance and for your frequent updates.

In regards to your first question. You are correct the canopy only has closure left, right and the front. The rear has a clear opening and air could escape out from within.

Second question: The design of the filtration is one of the best I've seen in comparison to the cubes that I have owned; that would be the JBJ cubes. As you know I fully take advantage of each chamber. The first chamber has the Berlin Airlift 60 powered by the Coralife air pump set at dial #5. I also have the Marineland 25 watt heater in the same chamber.

There is still room on the bottom to run a second return pump if you wanted to or to run the ICA 2.0. The second chamber houses the unique drop in wet/dry filter and yes this is a tru wet/dry not like JBJ that are flooded. The neat thing is that you can run them flooded or wet/dry you decide.

With the filtration in chamber two being a convertible means you are free to change and intermix filtrations if you wanted to; one week run carbon, second week run just polyfilter, it's up to you.

I don't use the plastic cover over the filtration since I'm currently using a dual HD fan to keep my tank cool at 82.5 at it's highest with ambient at 83 degrees.

Third regarding circulation: the filtration is powered by a Rio 600 and I feel that at 200 gph with no headpressure that's why it's at the bottom gives it a lot of power. The locline I use is just the tip of the nozzel, I'm not using the other pieces. And having the nozel to 45 degrees allows the water to run upward towards the surface.

The flow rate is a little stronger on one side but lighter on the other side. This would allow reefers to place slow current corals on one side and the like on the opposite side. If you really need more current say for SPS you could drop in some small powerheads like I previously employed.

Your last comment, the concealment and the canopy. I'm a big fan of the closed look, that is why I loved JBJ design cubes. With the Tru Vu, you get a canopy that hides the current USA perfectly and still allows for ventilation to exit at the back of the canopy.

I have felt the sides at where the vents are at and was amazed that they don't get really really hot, just warm. If you recall I started off with the coralife 18 watt and that little guy got way hotter than the current which is double it's power.

I mentioned earlier that on the hottest day here so far was about 83 ambient and I got 82.5 with both lights at the end of the day; my fans are programmed to go on with the lights and off.

I haven't called current to figure out how I can purchase a fan for the 2 inch slot that is viable on the fixture. I just need to run a power source as I didn't see a plug there.

The fan is available at marine depot for about 12 bucks and it's 2 inches and would fit; its just a matter of being able to connect it.

I'm still watching temps to see if I would need to invest in the ICA unit, remember I'm about concealing everything and not making holes all over the canopy or the tank itself; I myself am a big fan of keeping it all original just purchasing all the gadgets that go with a stock tank.

Remember one think even though the filtration system dominates the JBJ line, the display area is a little smaller so keep that in mind. I personally downsized my rocks to get the look I wanted and am very happy with what I got.

What ever I decide to keep in my tank should flourish with the amount of filtration I have and how I have employed it's full power.

Hope I answered your questions and if you have any more, shoot me a buzz on my thread I only answer back when I can give you long objective answers, just the type of reefer that I am.

MG

Obsessed Reefer

How fast do you type? lol

What Voltage are the fans you want? Me being the quote on quote "DIY Wizard", I think that's what you said, I can find many things to power things. I bought two fans from a guy a while back selling them. I powered them with an old Airsoft Gun Charger. Just Strip and Twist. Also, Chris at Nano Customs, sells This

Which you would just cut off the end, and strip the wires, and connect them to run the fan.

or

This

Same thing, cut and strip the end.

HTH

Jesse

Mike,

Thanks for your reply to my questions. This helps a great deal in trying to decide whether or not I purchase a TruVu. I am strongly leaning towards doing so. I just want to make sure I have enough room to make the least amount of modifications/installation of other devices.

Thanks again, I just may have a couple more questions for you later.

Micro-Reefs Aquariums

Update,

So I noticed that I finally started growing unwanted algae on my premium rock and brown diatoms on one side of my tank. This was to be expected since my lighting period kicked in.

The tank had cycled for about 3 weeks with no lights and now the lights had brought in the algae.

I was at first perplexed when I went from crystal clear water to a cloudy almost hazing type of look.

At first I brought out my HOT magnum and started cleaning the water but noticed that I got a slight improvement and then the next day it was the same.

Next thing I do is a 90 percent water change and get crystal clear water for one day; then the next day it's almost the same as before. I was like okay, what is going on.

I run down to the LFS and purchase 5 small blue/grey hermits and drop them in. They start to go to town on some of the rocks. The next day I purchase 4 red hermits and they really go on the ugly algae.

I want and need 4 nassirus snails but my LFS was out; I also confirmed with them is this common for my tank to go from crystal clear to slighty cloudy, he asked when I had added my lights and after I told him, he said, I'm getting spores of algae to breed and the filter cannot catch all of it.

He said within 2 to 2 weeks it should go back to crystal clear. I thought I would share this experience as it's never happened to me before.

Just my 2 cents....

MG

Micro-Reefs Aquariums

Well,

Thanks to the cleanning crew, my tank is back to crystal clear and all is awesome.

With that, I went down to my LFS and picked up a super tiny six line wrasse never have I seen one this small, he's smaller than a yellow gumdrop.

I also purchased a blue goby and a yellow gumdrop. So I have 3 little fish swimming around my cube....

Very nice tank. I'll be following some of what you did since I'll have a similar tank. I've never kept a reef so small so I am going to take it very slow compared to my other reefs.

B) Excellent thread. I've recently moved to Holland, and would like to set up something small. Seems like a perfect setup.

My only issue here is with the 220 voltage. I was told that small reef tanks are popular here, and in Germany -- but I'm not seeing the 220v goods for sale anywhere here.

I have pretty much been limiting my searching online, and haven't gone into any shops yet. Mostly because shopping here is limited, and it would require a trip into Amsterdam. I need to find a reputable shop here -- or start shipping stuff from the US, and dedicate one of my transformers to this project.

But -- if any of you global readers have suggestions, let me know! I would love to start assembling the pieces.

Thanks,

Paul

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

any update on your tank, Mike? still going? after reading this thread and some others i decided to get the same tank- I am setting it up pretty much as you did- Tru Vu 6, base and canopy, Current 36w Lunar, Berlin AirLift with Luft pump- and Locline. also following your steup for the filter media (chemipure, polyfilter, phosguard, pureflo). all i need now is live sand and live rock. any advice or follow up to how your system is doing would be helpful :) TIA

edit- i just put my order in today and hopefully will receive it by next weekend

• 3 weeks later...
Oceanic 30g

Did you sell this tank? I thought I saw an ad in the classifieds. I try to PM you,but your inbox was full.

Oceanic 30g

Thanks. Great little setup. I just sold a 30 gallon Oceanic Cube and I am looking to get an all in one. I may pick your brain a bit on this one if I get one. I will take your advice and call Aqurium Concepts. I assume they ship.

hey Oceanic, I ordered this tank (see post above) from Innovativelights.com because they had the cheapest price I could find. I ordered the base/canopy option but unfortunately they only sent the canopy so I am waiting on the base to be sent before starting my project. Once I do I will be starting a thread about my project. I am a relative noobie at reefs although I did have a 15H setup a few years ago with some success so hopefully things will go well. Not sure what I will be keeping in the way of livestock- maybe zoas, shrooms, pulsing xenia, a few shrimp and a small fish like a goby. Wish me luck and look for my thread in about a week or so...

Oceanic 30g

Thanks Salty. I will look for it. PM me when it comes out. I am pretty close to getting another tank here. I got the OK from the wife!

• 2 years later...

seeing as to how this thread ended back in 2007, i doubt you're still reading here mike, but i was wondering if your canopy was the standard 4" high or 8" high, http://www.truvuaquariums.com/misemo6baand.html

Reason I ask is I'm wondering how it had enough clearance to fit the 36w lunar lighting setup. im considering going for the 12g myself, but my lfs only has the 4" high canopy. thanks!

• 7 months later...
seeing as to how this thread ended back in 2007, i doubt you're still reading here mike, but i was wondering if your canopy was the standard 4" high or 8" high, http://www.truvuaquariums.com/misemo6baand.html

Reason I ask is I'm wondering how it had enough clearance to fit the 36w lunar lighting setup. im considering going for the 12g myself, but my lfs only has the 4" high canopy. thanks!

I'm not sure I understand your question?

Archived