Top Shelf Aquatics

6 gallon Tru Vu evolution...

Micro-Reefs Aquariums

SplitSequence

very awesome! Thanks for the video.

I think i will be looking into adapting that into a system that i'm cooking up.

• Replies 152
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Mike, This is what I have been waiting for. After building my JBJ 12 with a Chris C. custom hood and a 5 gallon fuge I was kind of without direction, but as the song says, "I was blind, but now I see". I have orderd my TruVu, but after looking at the first photo's you posted I have a question. I was under the assumption that the MH you mounted was a 70watt, but it is a 150watt. Just how hot does the tank get? Are you running a chiller as well?

Mark

Micro-Reefs Aquariums

Hi Mark,

Welcome to the club, the Tru Vu 6 gallon is an amazing beautiful tank that compliments any home decor...

I too owned not one but two 12 gallon JBJ modded cubes from Nanocustoms; they were fun but I moved on...

Since a lot of reefers are filtration junkies, the Tru Vu 6 is a lot of fun since it has a larger capacity in filtration to play with than the JBJ line...

I feel that a 70watt MH is more than enough for this tank and the only reason I got a 150 MH is because it was free...

Having said that, my tank runs warm and it's not a problem because I'm awaiting for my micro chiller; this will resolve my heating issue hands down...

MG

Fishfreak218

so.. what fish/inverts do you plan for this tank?? got a particular coral that the tank will be dominated by or is it going to be a mixed reef??

Micro-Reefs Aquariums
so.. what fish/inverts do you plan for this tank?? got a particular coral that the tank will be dominated by or is it going to be a mixed reef??

This mini reef will be a surprise, I'm going to try for the best color variation money can buy; also trying to go for one/two small rare gobies...

I really have no clue yet, just that they are going to be very small frags and I'm going to do a lot of glueing to the rock...

In an attempt to get more space, I re-aquascaped the rock, pushed the top rock further back at a viewable angle. This should give me more space to glue neat frags...

I'll have to take a picture...

I forgot to mention I got my locline in yesterday and I connected it to the tank; it helps so much since before the flow would hit the sand and rush sand all over the rocks...

MG

You know I love your thread. I've mentioned these tanks on threads complaining about JBJ issues for awhile now and have received a negative response. I think there hot looking tanks and scratches can be removed, cracks cannot.

Micro-Reefs Aquariums

At a 6 inch distance, the answer would be no... I'd also recommend you run a simple fan over the top on like a timer with the lights...

That would keep it from going over 82 degrees at the hotest...

Hope that helps out...

I've been tired of seeing every single tank a JBJ,,,, and nothing else to stare at, like a broken record over and over and over...

Just like a different tune to play for a while.... So here I am... Making it happen, again,,, hehehehe

Let's dance.... :)

MG

Bonebrake

Mike, is that the original 14,000 K bulb in the light? I am thinking of getting that light for my JBJ 24 and going topless. Exactly how hot does your tank get and how long do you leave the light on each day?

Micro-Reefs Aquariums
Mike, is that the original 14,000 K bulb in the light? I am thinking of getting that light for my JBJ 24 and going topless. Exactly how hot does your tank get and how long do you leave the light on each day?

I cannot answer the question on how hot my tank gets as I'm still cycling my tank. Once it is cycled I'll be able to comment on how hot this little guy gets...

I've seen it climb to 83 degrees with only 2 hours of usage, but as most of you know I have a secret chiller on order; it will be debuted on this site soon....

Regarding the Kelvin of the bulb, I love the 14K bulb everything looks so natural, each grain of sand is so detailed under this hue it's incredible....

I run the 20,000k bulbs in my 72 gallon reef in the living room.... And the 14,000k is so different from it's brother...

Two different themes to look at, that's why I didn't want to get the same hue in each tank....

Hope that helps out...

MG

Some of you guys don't seem to have read everything. He bought the tank at Aquarium Concepts in Hayward, CA :D...

Cameron

Hey mike nice tank. Do you leave the Phosguard in all the time? I was reading that it is only effective for about 5-6 days.

• 2 weeks later...
Micro-Reefs Aquariums
Mike,

Any update on the tank? and the chiller you mentioned earlier?

Doug

Hey Reefers,

After much deliberation, I decided to hold out for the JBJ compressor based chiller; I'm going for the one that is for 25 gallon and below...

It will hit the market in June... In the meantime I have just a cleanup crew working and I haven't been using the lights...

I plan on saving some cash and getting me the Reef Keeper 2 to run my MH in short burst so I can start this tank and I'll add a fan...

Mike G

Yeah, what's going on with this beautiful setup?

I have to wait for my Reef Keeper to come in so I can run the lights in small burst...

Mike,

Does Tru Vu make this type of Nano in other sizes and how do they price in comparison to the JBJ systems? I want NC 12 DX, but after reading and seeing this I want a TRU VU of a comparable size.

thanks,

Scott

Micro-Reefs Aquariums
Mike,

Does Tru Vu make this type of Nano in other sizes and how do they price in comparison to the JBJ systems? I want NC 12 DX, but after reading and seeing this I want a TRU VU of a comparable size.

thanks,

Scott

Scott,

They do make a 12 gallon cube and a 24 gallon as well. I saw the 24 gallon at my LFS...

They have a ton of room to place corals and critters.... I choose the 6 gallon because I already have a 72 gallon in the living room...

Give Ken at Aquarium Concepts a call, let him know you saw my thread and are interested in what sizes he has and if he can cut you a deal...

He is super cool guy to work with, has your best interest...

MG

Micro-Reefs Aquariums

And she continues to evolve. Today I went and purchased the JBJ ATO, with 2 gallon jug, MaxiJet 600 and 8 ft of tubing. Since I already own a JBJ ATO for my 72 gallon reef this setup was easy...

However, as easy as it was to install when I fired it up I had water back flowing to my reservoir and spilling all over my wifes shoes...

I disconnected everything and ran to clean up my mess, trying not to let her see my disaster; apparently I forgot that back flowing occurs when the pump shuts off if the hose is submerged into the tank...

I had the hose half way down the tank so it wanted to empty half of my 6 gallon tank into a 2 gallon reservoir. End result was overflow rushing into the closet. After I cleaned everything thoroughly it was time to face the music with the wife...

I bargined with my wife for her space in the closet next to my tank; otherwise I couldn't keep the reservoir out of sight and you know I love the clean look...

So after she gave me my precious real estate of her closet space I fired the ATO back on, this time making sure the hose doesn't enter the water so no back flowing can occur, and presto she runs flawless...

Here are the pictures of my setup:

107tau8.jpg

107tb2e.jpg

107tbq1.jpg

107tc3k.jpg

107tdmh.jpg

107tdzl.jpg

107tefn.jpg

The tank has a clean look and IMHO the clip on light fixture looks much better than the NC or AP canopies. Even the fixtures with the legs that sit above look better, but that coralife your using is cool and the overall bling factor of the tank is high. I can tell you like the bling Mike. lol

Archived