Premium Aquatics Aquarium Supplies

6 gallon Tru Vu evolution...

Micro-Reefs Aquariums

Micro-Reefs Aquariums

Hey Reefers,

I wanted to share something with you all that I think might surprise you...

While at work I got a call from Scott Clark V.P. of Tru Vu aquariums. He let me know that Ken the owner at Aquarium Concepts in Hayward Ca, had led him to my thread...

He was very concerned regarding the leak, that I had experienced and any setbacks it might have caused. I was taken by that because he expressed much conern in his tone of voice...

Exactly one year ago I purchased the CPR Aquatics 6 gallon, with a major leak in the seam and worse than that, horrible customer service...

Much different with Tru Vu aquariums. He explained to me the process of creating an Acrylic tank and how an air molecule can cause a slow drip in the seam, without notice. He reassured me that a second tank with the same issue is non existent...

He was right, the second tank has been flawless in it's design and running great. I expressed to him that I have owned Tru Vu tanks in the early 90's of reefing and love the sleek design...

We spoke about how upgradeable this tank is; did you know that the return line has threaded grooves? did you know that the drip tray is removable for a reason?

Well I got the answers and was so surprised to learn, that they sell an add on to accomodate a locline onto your return line. And how about a true refugium that reefers can drop in for macro and DSB, we are talking about separate vertical chambers, not the cheap pressure glue on plastic we see on other cubes...

This was awesome news for me and I wanted to share it with all of you. For my problems with the tank, Scott is sending me out for free the add on locline...

In this hobby, customer service is something that is often overlooked by vendors. Not so with Tru Vu, they went out of there way to make sure my product was okay; that's excellent customer service to me...

Thanks Tru Vu, you guys are great!!!

Sincerely,

Mike Guerrero

• Replies 152
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Micro-Reefs Aquariums

The Hound,

I wouldn't recommend the Fission nano-skimmer to anyone from all the negative post I've seen...

I also took a close look at the construction of one at a LFS, it was cheap and brittle; I'd stay clear from them...

However for $35 dollars the construction of the Berline Airlift 60 is incredible, I mean the plastic is really durable and easy to take apart and clean, and the collection cup is 20 times bigger than the fission skimmer...

Lets talk about the skimmate that it collects, it's a lot and very nasty yellow color to it...

Mine has been running since monday Aug 24th and continues to collect skum. The trick to run this guy is a powerful air pump, and I went with the best I could get, Coralife Luft Pump, which cost more than the skimmer...

I highly recommend this sturdy skimmer for any chamber in a open top tank, it's hidden from view and does it's job nicely, from what I've seen and read, it's the best NANO skimmer on the market money can buy; for those who want it in a chamber that is....

MG

CrazyAggie05

hey mike, so for right now youre just running the return out the return hole towards the bottom of the tank? what are you gonna do with it? one think thats nice about the NC's is that you can use a hydro flow with them. i wonder if you can find a way here as well. what are you gonna keep in here?

Micro-Reefs Aquariums

CrazyAggie05,

Tru Vu is sending me out a locline connection for free to connect at the bottom.... Then I'll have control of water direction.... I also have a very small pump in there to move water, did you see it? Towards the surface left side....

MG

Micro-Reefs Aquariums

Reefers,

I've asked around about what type of filtration I should put in place of the bio balls...

After a lot of debate, I went with Chemipure at the bottom followed by PolyFilter on top, then Phosguard, then a few bioballs to distribute the flow of water and then small strip of DLS followed by two coatings of 50 micron filter...

I let the tank run one full day and I am really amazed how crystal clear the water has become, here are the photos to share...

MG

wt7r61.jpg

wt7rj7.jpg

wt7ryp.jpg

wt7sao.jpg

wt7sjm.jpg

wt7tzp.jpg

wt7ubq.jpg

CrazyAggie05

wow that looks like a great setup mike.... i think i found my tank to downsize to... did you pick that light right off the bat, or did you look at some other setups?

Hey MG...it's Cameron. Glad we could take care of the TruVu tank swap for ya. The setup is looking really good.

I just stumbled into this thread and am blown away the quality of your live rock! I live in San Francisco, and the rock selection here (some of which I purchased :() looks really, really subpar compared to what you got. I called Aquarium Concepts and the owner was extremely helpful and checked through his rock so I wouldn't show up and waste a trip on Bart to come home empty handed. Thanks for the heads up!

:):):)

Nice tank by the way, good luck with it!

Glad you liked the rock. I actually was the one you talked to. I'm a manager at AC...I'm glad we could get you all setup.

Cameron

Yes I also like your setup! I just ordered a 10 gallon standard acryclic tank from Tru Vu. I really like the sleek look of acrylic tanks.

stoney waters

Mike

It was a picture of your Nano-Cube that got me hooked on nano's a year and a half ago. I am presently in the process of upgrading to a larger tank, but after seeing this thread I think I might have to scrap the plans and start a Tru Vu.

Thanks man, you did it to me again. :)

-Stone

RayWhisperer

Mike,

The tank looks great! One thing you might want to consider though...

If I were you, I'd remove those resins during the cycle. Simply due to the fact that they'd be exhausted after the cycle is complete, thus needing some replacements. Just trying to save you some money.

BTW, the skimmer looks like it's pulling some nice skimmate considering you have Chemipure and Phosguard in there.

Micro-Reefs Aquariums

You guys,

I'm glad that I inspired some and want you to know others have inspired me...

I really love this Tru Vu for it's elegant design in filtration and more importantly the crisper cleaner look than the glass nanos...

I have had nothing but positive support since I started the tank and it all started at my LFS...

Cameron is extremely knowledgeable and very customer service orientated; in all aspects of reefing...

If anyone wants to order the 6 gallon Tru Vu and follow my lead, call Aquarium Concepts in Hayward, Ca. They have tons of tanks in stock and will likely fill your needs...

They also are the ones that helped me hand pick my Bali live rock in which a lot of you reefers are inquiring about...

Try to call on a Monday and speak to Cameron he mans the helm on that day and I'm sure he can check for stock items at your request...

Mike G

froggiebunbun

Great set up Mike! That fixture could be hot. I had one on my bookshelf nano the temp was always high. Anyways, can you take a few more pics of the filtration in the back. I'm still not too sure how the water is flowing and such. Thx! and great tank...cant wait to see it stocked!

SplitSequence

Hey mike, strange question, how much flow does your skimmer generate with the luft pump working it? Any idea?

Thanks,

Chris

Micro-Reefs Aquariums

Froggie,

I'll try to take more pics of the back filtration for you; it has the option of drip rate or submerged filter....

Chris,

The skimmer is great, you can see all the skimmate it pulled out; courtesy of the luft pump...

I've noticed that since I dopped in the chemipure and all the other elements in the filtration back; my skimmer has stopped, their is nothing to pull out...

Amazing tank.....

MG

SplitSequence
Chris,

The skimmer is great, you can see all the skimmate it pulled out; courtesy of the luft pump...

I've noticed that since I dopped in the chemipure and all the other elements in the filtration back; my skimmer has stopped, their is nothing to pull out...

Ah, that's cool, but i didn't ask about the skimmate, i asked how much flow it induced into the water. Any idea on that one?

~Chris

Micro-Reefs Aquariums

Chris,

Not sure I understand your question? The Luft pump is very powerful I have that set on dial 6 out of 10...

There is a specific water level associated by a line that indicates correct placement...

Then you are suppose to dial the air pump until you get an adaquete amount of skimmate...

When you fire up the pump too much the water rushes up the tube, spilling into the collection cup to quickly...

From the side of the skimmer I can see a lot of turbulance via the air and water mixing...

I can take a small video clip 10-15 seconds for you to view, I saw a fission nanoskimmer video before so doing one should be easy...

MG

SplitSequence
Chris,

Not sure I understand your question? The Luft pump is very powerful I have that set on dial 6 out of 10...

Well, in terms of, say, a powerhead, does it cause much water to move around?

Micro-Reefs Aquariums

Trl2112,

The luft pump is extremely quiet for being that powerful, I have it under my bed and I don't hear it...

Chris, in the chamber there is a lot of water movement I did do a video but it's a little dark; check it out...

Click here to watch Berline-Airlift60-Skimmer

MG

Archived