Cultivated Reef

6 gallon Tru Vu evolution...

Micro-Reefs Aquariums

Mike,

Tank looks great. I can't wait to see the chiller from JBJ.

I am using a float switch ATO from aquahub.com with an aqualifter from TOM.

It pumps pumps slowly, but only for 10-15 seconds when it comes on. Works great. Tubing is just airline tubing so its a little easier to route and hide. If its lower than the tank you can even install a one way airline check valve.

Do you have any thoughts about the aqualifter?

Doug

• Replies 152
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Micro-Reefs Aquariums
Mike,

Tank looks great. I can't wait to see the chiller from JBJ.

I am using a float switch ATO from aquahub.com with an aqualifter from TOM.

It pumps pumps slowly, but only for 10-15 seconds when it comes on. Works great. Tubing is just airline tubing so its a little easier to route and hide. If its lower than the tank you can even install a one way airline check valve.

Do you have any thoughts about the aqualifter?

Doug

Doug,

I use the aqualifter in my 72 gallon reef for my calcium reactor. It's continuous pumping action makes it a great addition for my system. They are small and very efficient.

On a side note, messing with my digital camera at night I took a pic of the tank up close.

Messing with camera at night here are some pics...

10s66ph.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

wow this a nice nano indeed. i have seen pix of your other tanks and i can certainly say that you have that magic touch. my inlaws have a 60g truvu and seeing this nano im most definately upgrading from my 2.5 to the 6g this summer. i just have a quick question, whats the specs of the return pump and seeing as how its in the bottom does it kick alot of sand? thanks and keep up the amazing work. ^_^

Micro-Reefs Aquariums
wow this a nice nano indeed. i have seen pix of your other tanks and i can certainly say that you have that magic touch. my inlaws have a 60g truvu and seeing this nano im most definately upgrading from my 2.5 to the 6g this summer. i just have a quick question, whats the specs of the return pump and seeing as how its in the bottom does it kick alot of sand? thanks and keep up the amazing work. ^_^

Thanks for the comments on my tanks... Regarding the sand being kicked up, yes it's a big problem so that's why I placed a loctite return nozzle pointing upward. Takes care of the problem completely...

Now I have a flawless running tank with no sand kicking...

MG

• 2 weeks later...

Hey Mike,

I am moving to Davis this summer for school and am looking to downsize from my 24NC. I was going to get a 6NC but I think that this is a better tank. I love the 150w lighting but I was just wondering, do you think that there would be heat issues if I were to go with th 70w JBJ Viper light? It sounds as if the heat issues you are having are pretty severe and I don't want things getting too complicated while I am away at school. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Jordan

Ive been following this post for a bit and love the tank, bought one myself and just came yesterday. Ive got a few questions if you could help out; what do you keep your water level at, besides the luft pump, what size airpump would you recommend for the skimmer(the guy at my lfs asked the size of my tank and handed me some brand of pump that said 1500 on it, didnt buy it though)

Micro-Reefs Aquariums
Hey Mike,

I am moving to Davis this summer for school and am looking to downsize from my 24NC. I was going to get a 6NC but I think that this is a better tank. I love the 150w lighting but I was just wondering, do you think that there would be heat issues if I were to go with th 70w JBJ Viper light? It sounds as if the heat issues you are having are pretty severe and I don't want things getting too complicated while I am away at school. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Jordan

Jordan,

My tank does get extremely hot without the light becasue of the massive heat I'm having in my upstairs condo...

If you place a fan on top, the heat will be controlled, I know because I added one to the top of the tank and my heat is very much controlled without the light on...

Since I'm in the process of moving, I have not purchased my chiller for this tank. I'm waiting to do the move and then I'll see if a chiller is in need, since my new home will have central forced AC...

MG

Ive been following this post for a bit and love the tank, bought one myself and just came yesterday. Ive got a few questions if you could help out; what do you keep your water level at, besides the luft pump, what size airpump would you recommend for the skimmer(the guy at my lfs asked the size of my tank and handed me some brand of pump that said 1500 on it, didnt buy it though)

Any size good air pump will work fine, I only dial up to about half on the luft pump so you'll have to play around with a couple of pumps untill you get the right distributuion of air to water...

MG

i love AC! they are very helpful and most of their fish are in great shape! i think tha next time i go imma get that fire shrimp...or maybe a clarki??...maybe some shrooms??...how about zoos?? they have such a big selection of live stock u could be in there for days looking for what u want and find it! and the best thing is if u dreamed of it they probably got it!

• 3 weeks later...
sweet tank, you paid 26.99 for a MJ600????? lol

Local fish store prices suck. My lfs sells aqua clear 70 filters for 70 dollars. :lol:

Micro-Reefs Aquariums

Yeah,

Paying full price for a pump sucks, but when you have to have it, they get the best of you.

I never liked the CPR6 as it leaked and when I called for support they were terrible, they really didn't care.

Tru Vu did leak but they were willing to help me out and threw in a lot of extra goodies as my new tank was rushed in.

I give them thumbs up for customer service...

I don't have any updates since I've been in the process of moving... I will take pictures as I do the move...

MG

• 2 weeks later...

i sent you a PM about this but i dont think my pms are working correctly.

how big is the display area? what are the dimensions of the chamber that you keep your skimmer? is it large enough for a fuge?

do you think you could fit a dremel flex hose into the display area to drill a hole in the divider wall?

thank you

• 2 weeks later...
Micro-Reefs Aquariums

Just to let everyone know, I decided to take this tank down. I moved into a new home and the work for two tanks is way too much; I don't have the man power to keep it up. So I decided to stay with the 72 gallon bowfront....

I will be announcing the price of all my dry goods for this little awesome setup. I have a A+ track record both on this forum and reefcentral for selling items, if anyone is interested email me.....

MG

• 4 weeks later...
Micro-Reefs Aquariums

By popular demand this tank has been resurrected. I decided just to downsize the light and I purchased the black matching canopy.

I'm in the process of getting a cooling system placed on this tank; I'm researching the ICA 2.0.

Does anyone have any feedback for me? Do I need the uprgraded powersupply of will the stock power supply do the trick.

I'm experiencing up to 85 degrees with ambient being at 82 or 83 degrees. This is with no lights placed on the system.

Just a 50 watt submersible heater and the stock rio pump as the return.

I do have the 18 watt coralife mini-light and it does heat this tank up because I have all the splashguards on the tank in place.

I'm hoping the ICA will do the trick and Nanocustoms list it as a hang on the side option for non owners of JBJ cubes.

Are there any users with ICA 2.0 out there???

Thanks,

MG

Mike

I have the same set up as you are going to have. I used the canopy and added a 70 watt mh with two 60mm fans for moving air around. I tried the ICA 2.0 hang on from nanocustoms.com. The way I see it you can only do it a couple of ways(1) drill a hole for a 60mm ICA fan in the back of the canopy over the chamber 1 and suspend the ICA from the hole using longer screws (2) Mod a piece of acrylic to fit over chamber 1 and cut a square so that the ICA fits in and then attach the ICA with longer screws (3) rig up some contraption to allow the ICA to HOT somehow.

I returned mine and picked up a small chiller.

Archived