inTank Media Baskets

37g Lighting Question...

rvk2

I have a question regarding the lighting of a new tank I'm just bought (I keep getting mixed advice...)

It will be a 37g Oceanic 'cube' 24.5Lx18.5Wx21.5H. There is no center brace on this tank.

Right now I am thinking of a custom hood w/ 250w single-end MH bulb & 2x75VHO actinics.

(this system... http://www.aquariumlight.com/product_info.php?dbid=303 ).

The bulbs will be about 8" from the water...

Is this enough light or too much light?

The tank will mostly be LPS/softie, but I want to keep clams and some SPS as well (so the lighting needs to be flexible enough.)

I'd really appreciate your suggestions!

Thanks! :)

I had the same tank for a while, and had a 250W DE with 14K bulbs. It was plenty of light for everything, a couple of acro frags 3" off the bottom did fine (thogh they were the more hardy A. youngi variety. An open brain, probably Trachyphyllia , experienced signifigant fading of colors, though it still looked healthy. Zoas and leathers loved it, as did a trumpet, fox, and frogspawn corals. It nuked a Pagoda, though that was my own falult.

All in all I'd say as long as you are careful acclimating and watch the temp, thats a great choice that almost everything will thrive under.

- Bob

I had the same tank for a while, and had a 250W DE with 14K bulbs. It was plenty of light for everything, a couple of acro frags 3" off the bottom did fine (thogh they were the more hardy A. youngi variety. An open brain, probably Trachyphyllia , experienced signifigant fading of colors, though it still looked healthy. Zoas and leathers loved it, as did a trumpet, fox, and frogspawn corals. It nuked a Pagoda, though that was my own falult.

All in all I'd say as long as you are careful acclimating and watch the temp, thats a great choice that almost everything will thrive under.

- Bob

Thanks! How high from the water were your bulbs?

If I were to go w/ a 150w instead, would I have to be concerned for any clams or higher light LPS? I've had mixed responses - some saying that 150w is more than enough for all but higher light SPS and some saying that 250w would be ideal. I'll probably be using 14k lights, w/ 1x75w VHO Actinic and 1x75w VHO daylight.

Again, lights will be 8" off the water - and the tank is 21.5" deep.

DKreefkeepers

Hi, I also have an oceanic cube but mine is the 30g cube. I have a single 250w halide above mine also. I would try to keep the light at least 10" above the water suraface but that is just my opinion. I am sure it has worked with less space. I have the PFO HQI balast pushing a 14k hammilton SE bulb. This gives plenty of light for anything that you want to put in that tank. With the extra depth you cant go wrong with a 250w system. If you go with the 150 you will be wishing you had the 250 later. Just get a bulb with a spectrum between 14-20k if you do not plan un using suplimental actinics. What other equipment are you planning on? Sump? skimmer? overflow? return pump?

Hi, I also have an oceanic cube but mine is the 30g cube. I have a single 250w halide above mine also. I would try to keep the light at least 10" above the water suraface but that is just my opinion. I am sure it has worked with less space. I have the PFO HQI balast pushing a 14k hammilton SE bulb. This gives plenty of light for anything that you want to put in that tank. With the extra depth you cant go wrong with a 250w system. If you go with the 150 you will be wishing you had the 250 later. Just get a bulb with a spectrum between 14-20k if you do not plan un using suplimental actinics. What other equipment are you planning on? Sump? skimmer? overflow? return pump?

Yeah, I'm leaning towards 250w 10" above the water - I'm getting excited about this project since this will be in a custom hood... I'm hoping it will look like the photo (which I hope attached correctly..) of a 37g Oceanic. That tank had a custom teak or some type of rare wood stand and hood though...

Won't be doing an overflow on this one yet - I'll be moving in a year and I don't want to go through the pain of taking apart any plumbing.

Not sure what I'll be using for my powerheads in the tank, though I'd love to get one of these if not for the $$$ ( http://www.marinedepot.com/aquarium_powerh...h_propeller.asp )

I'll be using a Remora which I think I'll upgrade to a Mag3 pump.

If I can fit it I might try and add a HOB fuge (but I am not sure if it will fit on the back w/ the Remora and AQ 70 HOB I use to hold carbon and probes...

How does this lighting sound? this one here...

http://www.aquariumlight.com/product_info.php?dbid=305

1X250w 14k MH

1X 75w VHO daylight

1X75w VHO actinic

I was talking to someone who likes to use the VHO daylight when using one MH bulb as it helps spread light around - so the corals don't grow towards the center as much...

Any options on that lighting kit that you guys think I should upgrade to?

post-12444-1145735268_thumb.jpg

That light looks way too long for a cube tank......? how long is it?

It is 24". The tank itself is 24.5" so I was hoping that this could fit in the hood...

Archived