SaltCritters.com

What would you do?

MarkF

I currently have a FOWLR 75G.  I would like to do a nano coral tank.  Cycling shouldn't be a problem because I have plenty of extra live sand in my sump, and the tank has plenty of rock to spare too.

My question is which tank to go with.  I'm torn between an Eclipse 6 with a PC retro fit (2x13), an AGA 7G Bow front with some sort of retro fit or a spare 10G I have which would require either purchasing a hood and retro kit or building a hood.  I'm not sure I have the extra time to build a nice looking hood, and then there is the cost of extra wattage for that retro hood.

So what would you guys recommend?

Thanks

Mark F

I would go with either the 7 or 10 gallon.  The eclipse is acrylic and will scratch easily.  The choice is your though man.

My Alife 7

DO NOT even think about the eclipse 6! Go for the 10! If you dont have time to build a hood, go for the AGA 7gal. but DO NOT get the eclipse 6!

quiksilver5768

In my opinion...eclipses are a WASTE OF MONEY. Your gonna be stripping off most of the things (filteration, stock hood lighting, etc...) that make it cost so much in the first place so why get it? I would go with either the 7 or the 10. If you dont want to build a hood for your 10, you can always get a normal 10 gal plastic hood and retro-fit it with a 32 watt pc. It wont be much light but enough for a lot of softies.

Personally, I would choose the 7 over the 10. The 7 Bow's have a very nice look when decroated well with LR and corals.

printerdown01

Man are eclipses getting a bad rap on this thread!! -Honestly they aren't bad... However, I wouldn't recommend any tank that is scratchable, though so the eclipse 6 isn't one of my highest recomendations! But the truth is eclipse does make some decent, sleek looking, hoods... Most people will advise you to go with the 10 since it is bigger and has more possibilities... But honestly, I would go with which ever one you like the appearance of! Recently I have been eyeing a 7 gallon bowfront, that I really like... LOL, idea here.... check out deezreefs tanks (he has a 2 year old 10 and a week old 7 bowfront!!! they are both AWESOME) You can -keep in mind that the 10 is 2 years old and that the 7 is brand new... You can find them on the "members nanoreefs" forum. That should help you make some decisions!

I have a six gallon eclipse with the 2 x13 watt retro kit. I run it with a rio 50 power head along with the original filter system. Ocassionally, I use some filter cotton in the small sump area to collect particles (ex. after water changes) I agree it scratches very easily. But it is a nice looking tank if your careful.

I also have a 10 gallon all glass aquarium. I have two rio 90's for circulation. I have a custon hood with a 32 watt smart bulb and I run a NO 15 watt 10000K bulb. I use a small wisper powerfilter for aded surface agitation.

Both look great, But I perfer the ten..

My Alife 7

I 100% believe that the eclipse tanks are THE most beautiful tanks I've seen. (Which is why I bought one to use a nano at first..). But functionality wise, you have to admit that it's horrible. You can't do anything to the inside of the tank without removing the hood. And these tanks scratch up very easily, one false move and you have a nice scratch right across the front of your tank. Beautiful tank when you first set it up, but in the long run, it's going to give you more trouble then pleasure.

MarkF-

Just my $.02, as I was in the same situation a few months ago. I too was thinking about the Eclipse unit, but decided to go with the 10 gallon.

Boy, was I glad I did. The extra 3-4 gallons will make quite a difference, IMHO. I setup my tank for a similar coral setup, and it is doing great!

Just my thoughts. YMMV.

OK, I'm convinced.  I'll stay away from the Eclipse.  Depending on the condition of my 10G, I'll either build a custom hood and figure out the lighting or I'll go for the AGA Bow7.

Thanks

Mark F

Archived