Cultivated Reef

Is this enough?

Labguy

I have a 36" orbit fixture total output is 192watts. I am seriously considering taking down my 46 gallon bow front FW and going salt in it. But will this be enough light to keep mainly sps type corals.

That amount of light on your 46 bowfront? No SPS at all. Maybe LPS though. Try goint with T5HO or metal halides if you really want SPS.

Not saying you are, but if you ARE new to saltwater reef tanks, I wouldnt even think about sps corals for awhile. But if you are experienced with saltwater, your light does not meet the standards for healthy thriving SPS.

OK I am new but I was thinking sps was the easier stuff. But would it be enough for say like colony polyps and mushrooms stuff like that.

I think you just have it backwards. Sounds like you want LPS, Polyps, Sofies, and mushrooms. Stay clear of SPS until you have more experience and better lighting. (I don't personally get the big SPS attraction--but that's just me).

Well my whole idea just got shot to well you know. I did not bother talking to the wife first and she said no she wants to keep the FW tank. But she also said I could get the 20L I want just not at this moment I will have to get it together slowly. So maybe by the end of summer I will have my new tank ready to set up.

Archived