Innovative Marine Aquariums

how can i frag soft corals?

IchIsBadM'Kay

IchIsBadM'Kay

the first thing i would like to frag in my tank is a kenya tree coral. i have no experience what so ever on fraging, but me and my buddy have newbie reef tanks that are pretty well stocked, so we want to start fraggin but neither of us know how too. I also want to know how to frag mushrooms and lps corals.

Check out my site at IWANTHOTSTUFF.COM and thanks for the info guys

post-19072-1145518645_thumb.jpg

Easy. Cut a branch off. Preferably one that doesnt leave the parrent looking "hacked." Take that piece and LOOSELY rubberband it to a piece of LR. Place in a good spot to grow out. Id wait untill you see the stalk of the coral start to grow around the band before cutting it. Then just cut the band and pull it out like a stitch. Easy.

Edit: try to do the ruberbanding to the LR fast as the severed branch tends to shrink up p*ssed off

Also let the shrooms grow on their own, they grow like nuts once they get going, if you go in there hacking them up, in a few months you whonder why you ever did it

IchIsBadM'Kay

but what should i use to cut, scissors, knife, razor, whats the most officent and quickest way without ####### the coral off to a minimum. and rubber banding it sideways to a piece of rock?

Easy. Cut a branch off. Preferably one that doesnt leave the parrent looking "hacked." Take that piece and LOOSELY rubberband it to a piece of LR. Place in a good spot to grow out. Id wait untill you see the stalk of the coral start to grow around the band before cutting it. Then just cut the band and pull it out like a stitch. Easy.

Edit: try to do the ruberbanding to the LR fast as the severed branch tends to shrink up p*ssed off

Also let the shrooms grow on their own, they grow like nuts once they get going, if you go in there hacking them up, in a few months you whonder why you ever did it

firefishbrain

what lps are you talking about? candy canes and branching corals are easy, take pliers, grab the skeleton kinda far from the tissue, and just crack the bone It won't hurt the coral any. blasto's, brains and the like can't be fragged as far as I know.

minireefkeeper26

I just bought a copy of Marine Fish and Reef magazine 2006 annual. In the middle of it they have a good section on fragging corals, however most of the info in the article are in regards to SPS and LPS corals, it pretty much states that soft corals should be done once you gain experience, some have to be tied to rock but on most corals it recommends using special epoxy to glue the fragged pieces to a little piece of live rock. Pick up the magazine if you can, it is a good 3 page article.

Hope this helps, good luck!

Archived