ReefCleaners.org

Metal Halide, Fan help!

MacnReef

As you can see in the pic that I have a lot of space from the top of my aquarium trim to the bottom of the canopy in the back. I was thinking.....can I attach two fans to this brace and have one blowing in and the other sucking out? I would like to run metal halides and since I move my aquarium to the living room, heat will not be as noticed. Will this work to keep the heat down in the hood and water?

t r y i t.

i'd really like to help... and i really like fans, but your question doesn't make much sense (if there IS a question there). are you asking if anyone's done something similar? try it buddy. if it works, it works, if it doesnt, then maybe post the specs (fans, ambient temp, additional heat thrown by lights, tank surface area, surface agitation) and dimensions (tank specs, distance from lights to tank, hood design, blah) of everything and i'm sure lots of people will throw ideas at you on improvements or modifications for efficiency and effectiveness. :)

remember heat rises, if i am looking correctly at the pic you are wanting to mount the fans near the bottom of the hood...you may be better served by putting them higher up where i assume the MH bulb is.....or maybe i am totally misunderstanding the picture or your question in which case you should ignore my suggestion and continue as previously scheduled without any further interruptions.

Have them both blowing in and have two vents allowing air out. Make the vents at least as large as the fans. One blowing in and one blowing out will not allowing for max venting. If possible blow it along the length of the bulb.

Originally posted by JPF

Have them both blowing in and have two vents allowing air out.  Make the vents at least as large as the fans.  One blowing in and one blowing out will not allowing for max venting.  If possible blow it along the length of the bulb.

Your right JPF well almost....its more efficient and less wear and tear on the motors to have them exhaust the hot air(blow out).

Having them suck air into a confined space will create pressure in the light chamber and stress the fan motors. Make sure you have similarly sized intakes vents to do this right.

A fan configuration like that actually works pretty well. I had a 175 watt mh over a 20L and when i first installed it that sucker got waaaay hot. then i decided to put 2 computer case fans on the hood, one sucking in one side and one blowing out the other side and it reduced the heat to almost NIL. However, if the airflow of the fans is in contact with the surface of your tank water get ready for very large amounts of evaporation. HTH. :)

BTW. The fans were mounted high in the hood so the airflow passed dierctly across the bulb.

Alright here is what I was thinking of...let me know what you guys think. I have the fans where I was planning on putting them. Any other recommendations.

Don't have a fan blowing right on the bulb, it reduces bulb life and turns the spectrum wrong, more greenish. Blow the fans at the surface of the tank, as that would be most effective, by evaporative cooling, at least imo if its possible for you to do that, not sure though since its in a hood. But my room didn't have ac over the summer and temps over the 100's, I had a strong fan blowing on the surface, kept my tank no higher than 85. I don't suggest you let it get that hot in your room though lol. It did evaporate a LOT of water though. Helps to keep up with the calcium levels if its a high intake system.

Archived