Cultivated Reef

yellow cucumber

darkwaterdevil

darkwaterdevil

is it normal for them not to move at all??? it seems to just be filterfeeding and not wanting to clean the sandbed like there suposed to

i've got a yellow (caribbean) cucumber that is a sandsifter. he moves all over the sandbed all the time. a pic would help identify it.

only yellow cucumber I tried... moved some that afternoon... next morning it was on the sand bed...that afternoon I noticed it had not moved any... RIP little fellow, never have tried another one.

Izzue

formerly icyuodd/icyoud2

i have a yellow spikey cuc. he's strictly a filter feeder. he hangs out on the bottom of my overflow, 24-7

IMG_7191.jpg

i have a yellow spikey cuc. he's strictly a filter feeder. he hangs out on the bottom of my overflow, 24-7

IMG_7191.jpg

Icy--thats the exact one I had that didnt make it...I think at the time I intraduced it to my tank, the tank was not mature enough and it died. If LFS ever gets any again im gonna give it another try...The Yellow in those little dudes is awesome.

Izzue

mine looks like the yellow one of these. he is a sand sifter. never leaves the sandbed (except for the one time he decided to travel down my overflow pipe into the sump).

Cucumber.JPG

darkwaterdevil
Icy--thats the exact one I had that didnt make it...I think at the time I intraduced it to my tank, the tank was not mature enough and it died. If LFS ever gets any again im gonna give it another try...The Yellow in those little dudes is awesome.

Izzue

thats him how big do they get??? and what kind is it? how much was yours

formerly icyuodd/icyoud2

my tank see's greenwater once a week (photoplankton) for this guy and the other filter feeders in the tank.

darkwaterdevil

ok the lfs told me that they were sand sifters. do i have to feed them??? no one around here sells phyto or anything for filter feeders and i dont buy online

formerly icyuodd/icyoud2

i strongly recommend feeding him. check out your local reef club, i bet somebody keeps photoplankton.

• 2 weeks later...
Sea Pickle

Given my name, I only thought it appropriate to get one of those yellow fellers myself. Great little guy. Sits right on the rock where I first put him and feeds whenever I do the turkey baster thing or put any type of invert food. (I use Liquid Life-- the refrigerated stuff) 2X week and a TINY bit of Kent's micro-vert every now and then. I hear mixed reviews about Kent's micro-vert. Everyone says it'll destroy your water but all the critters seem to love it.

-- to the person who said the yellow cuc died-- are you SURE it was dead? They don't exactly cruise around like snails. "Sitting there" is kinda what they do most of the time.

natureboy

I've been thinking about getting one of these when my tank is more mature, but I've ruled it out since they can release toxins when they are stressed or die. I have a 24 gallon without a protein skimmer and without carbon. Do you think it would be risky? Has anyone had any problems from one of these little cucumbers?

Thanks

Sea Pickle

I have read that they can do that if they get attacked or are subject to torturous water conditions, but the toxicity is relative to species and size. That's why I got the smallest one in the tank in the store and kept an eye on my fish for a couple hours after i put it in the tank. I've got two gobies, a blenny and a maroon clown and nobody messes with my cuc,

Archived