inTank Media Baskets

Is my current lighting ok?

randomrambler

randomrambler

Hey guys :) First post here.

I set up my first sw aquarium last week, a 10g (yes, I know it isn't recommended but it was my only option cost-wise). It just finished its mini cycle (cycled with uncured live rock and lots of filter media from the lfs, the nitrate and nitrite spiked, and are now in normal parameters). And I'm not sure if my current lighting situation is good. I have an incandescent hood with (2) 23 watt screw in bulbs (6500k I believe) and also a clip on with the same bulb shining from the back, giving me a total of 69 watts of 6500k light. Is this adequate? I was planning on having some soft corals and polyps, also some xenia to host the ocellaris pair I plan on getting. Also, if it isn't up to par, what would you recommend for a cheaper setup? The most I can spend on lighting is probably $40-$60.

Obsessed Reefer

I dont think I know any reefer with incandessant(sp) bulbs. The lowest you should go is CF.

What snowlancer said looks good for a 10 gallon. you could always add some if you wanted to later on in the game.

For around 60 you might be able to get lucky on ebay and find a small CP retro and then build a small hood for it all. it'd look really nice in the end I think, and be enough light for the hard corals you mentioned.

Those current USA 40 watt fixtures are good; many people also reconmend the powerquad (96 watt) fixtures for 10 gallon tanks. Intially, the 40 watt strip shpuld be enough and is cheap+easy to install. I'm not sure what type of light you could get for $60 on ebay. 69 watts of incandescent is not great btw; don't try and keep any corals with that hood. Snow, your 40 watt cf fixture has at least twice if not triple the light output of a 69 watt incandescent hood!

Sam

Could look at petco for screw in compact flourescent bulbs, I've seen them at the one i go to. Probably not too expensive ( I think around 10 bucks a piece) and you could get a better color spectrum than the 6500K.

Hope this helps.

randomrambler

Thanks guys I'll check around and see what I can get for my money's worth. That 90 watt quad light sounded cool :). Off to surf now.

randomrambler

Alright, after cruising ebay, I think I'm gonna try to get a 96watt quad tube PC retrofit kit and I'll build a hood. It comes with a 50/50 tube too :). *crosses fingers* hopefully I'll get it, I don't want to do things in this hobby poorly.

Archived