Premium Aquatics Aquarium Supplies

Mini_GBR's 24g Nanocube

Mini_GBR

How has your reef been? just started reading your thread today and it's great! So...update?

very beautiful.. i <3 your orange crush acans

Hi guys, thanks for the comments. It has been a while since I've posted anything new, but in all honesty, nothing much has changed except that things have been growing like crazy and have had to frag a ton of the monti's, and ilgowe, that orange crush, since it is so aggressive (but I too love that one). If I get time this week I will post some updated FTS's.

• Replies 107
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 7 months later...
How's the Nanocube doing? Updated FTS please!

Thanks for the renewed interest. There will be updated FTS's soon. They are taken, but need to be uploaded and the whole deal.

Ok, so here are the FTS's as requested. I wish i could get better close up shots, but I think I'd need a better camera to do something like that. Hope you all enjoy!!!

Front:

IMG_0638.jpg

Right Side:

IMG_0633.jpg

Left Side:

IMG_0629.jpg

Wanted to update what I have hardware wise from what I have on pg.1:

Hardware:

1 - 24g 2006 Nanocube

2 - MiniJet's in chamber 2 leading to lockine in upper front of the system

2 - Maxijet 1200, 1 replacing stock pump in chamber 3 and 1 buried in the aquascaping for extra movement.

1 - Reefkeeper 1.0, with temp probe in chamber 3

1 - JBJ Auto-top-off, with two different fresh water returns in the cabinets underneath, one with a calcium supplement and one with an Alk supplement with the float in chamber 3 and separate water returns into chamber 2 and 3 respectively

1 - Ebo Jager 75w heater in chamber 3

1 - Ebo Jager 50w heater in chamber 3 (as a backup to the main heater)

Lighting

1 - 150W Sunpod with moonlights (6 blue LED's, 6 wite LED's)

(Thought I wouldn't like the open top, but since i have no 'jumpoing fish' I'm totally fine with it now)

Filtration:

40 - Pounds of Kaelini Live Rock, great looking stuff from vividaquariums.com

40 - Pounds of 'live sand,' 3+ inches of sand

10 - Pounds of live rock rubble in the sump area split between chamber 1 and 2

* I Do not have a protein skimmer, and have debated for the entire life of the tank whether i need one or not. I think as the system ages I am leaning towards something i can hang on the back of the tank, and would love some suggestions of anything that was worked for others in the past.

On a side note, since the Nano is is decent shape and I don't really have much room in the apartment to go bigger, I picked up another hobby, which is my 1963 1/2 Ford Falcon Futura that I've been rebuilding and restoring. This is fun too:

IMG_0568.jpg

IMG_0569.jpg

*** On another side note, seeing as how I have a ton of that orange Monti and the Green/Purple rim monti, I would love to give some away (or possibly get some xenia that people don't need as a trade) since I don't get much time to get to a LFS to trade it in. If anyone is interested, please PM me, I live in Santa Monica (90405) and would like to do this locally if possible. ***

Wow incredible tank after three years. What are your fish inhabitants? Are there any from when you first started?

Hey Eric. I have the same Randal's Goby and shrimp pair, but they hide a lot so I never get pictures of them. The Black Clownfish pair I have basically had since the beginning. The purple firefish unfortunately died in the move 2 years ago, and the red headed goby got picked on by my 6 line wrasse, which I removed when I moved. I've been pretty lucky I think.

I love your tank and I like how big all of your corals are.

Thanks Pablo. Most of these pieces started as small frags and have taken off really well. All the stonies need constant pruning, which have helped to keep the cost of upkeep down, which was a major goal of mine when I set out 3 years ago.

• 3 weeks later...
Paleoreef103

This tank changes a lot, but it's pretty much always been killer. Way to go man. I wish my nanocube was this awesome.

• 2 weeks later...
very beautiful tank!

Holy crap dude tank and coral selection is very nice!

Thanks Kgarner an Kraylen!!!

This tank changes a lot, but it's pretty much always been killer. Way to go man. I wish my nanocube was this awesome.

This tank does change a fair amount, mostly due to the growth of all the coral. I also get bored so as the coral grows I tend to frag it or trade it entirely in for something new. My semi-LFS is great and will take my trades in for a fair amount since I got most of my stonies from them. Most of my acan's come from the internet (all from OZ)

I will be posting new photos again soon (once things have time to settle in) since i recently did a huge trade in with the LFS and so now I have a few new stonies and a ton of new Acan's. I've also basically run out of space, so I'm starting to think of what my next step is going to be.

I also have wanted a new fish since I only have 3, so I'm up for suggestions. Thanks again to all who have looked and all the praise!

-Mike

• 4 weeks later...

thanks again for the green/purple rim cap over a year ago, and for the frogspawn. both are still doign VERY well as per the pm I sent you a bit back. if you need help with your old car work, PM me. I have almost everything you would need tool wise. ;)

So I'm really excited about being Tank of the Month, and in doing the write-up I took a ton of photos, some of which didn't make it up on the feature. Sooooo, I figured I'd throw those up here.

First (For my records):

FullTankShot6_1_09.jpg

LeftSide6_1_09.jpg

RightSide6_1_09.jpg

And the new stuff:

Teal Rainbow Acan:

TealRainbowAcan.jpg

Micromussa:

Micromussa.jpg

Mint Julep Acan

MintJulep.jpg

Cotton Candy Acan:

CottonCandyAcan.jpg

Duncan:

Duncan.jpg

Red and Pink Acan:

RedandPinkAcan.jpg

Frogspawn:

MixedFrogspawnCloseup.jpg

thanks again for the green/purple rim cap over a year ago, and for the frogspawn. both are still doign VERY well as per the pm I sent you a bit back. if you need help with your old car work, PM me. I have almost everything you would need tool wise. ;)

Good to hear they are doing so well, would love to see how they've progressed. Also, i may very well need help with that car, we can do a trade of car knowledge for frags!!! haha. As son as i have a better garage to park the car in, I will be pulling the engine out to tear apart and re-build, so i mayvery well need a few extra tools for that.

Congrats. :)

Definitely a worthy TOTM! I always love seeing really nice Nanocubes!

Thanks for the compliments, it was awesome to be chosen.

Amazing tank and congrats on TOTM. What is your feeding schedule like? Do you target feed anything? If so what? Also do you dose anything besides the calk and CA in the top offs?

Amazing tank and congrats on TOTM. What is your feeding schedule like? Do you target feed anything? If so what? Also do you dose anything besides the calk and CA in the top offs?

I cover all of that in the write up I did for TOTM, but I don't feed the fish, they eat when I spot feed the LPS, which is every 2 weeks or so (I may do more now to promote added growth). Dosing, in addition to my toppoff's of Alk and Calcium, I do magnesium, strontium, and iodine. Hope this helps,

-Mike

Oops sorry I missed that in the TOTM write up. I read that and you thread on different days and must of forgot. Thanks for the quick response.

Oops sorry I missed that in the TOTM write up. I read that and you thread on different days and must of forgot. Thanks for the quick response.

It's all good, that write up had fair amount of stuff in it. I do think those are essential elements to have in there, but in moderation. It would take forever to test for all that stuff.

Hey Mini_GBR nice tank

Thanks Tosha. Didn't you get a few monti's from me a while ago. I hope they are doing well, mine grow like weeds, so if you need some more, let me know.

• 1 month later...

Archived