inTank Media Baskets

Refugium substrate

pico1

ZaderMatermorts

I'd tend to use a fine grade of aragonite, and at least 3 inches of it if you are looking for denitrification.

... at least 3 inches of it if you are looking for denitrification.

3" will be an NO3 factory. 6" is the documented depth for reliable sandbed denitrification.

For a discussion of various dentirification techniques see this thread: http://www.nano-reef.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=84357

pico1: Many people have used crushed coral and had no problems with it, but others have had problems with it becoming a sludge factory if it isn't regularly vaccumed. Regular aragonite sand seems to work for everybody.

ZaderMatermorts

"For optimum nitrate control, sugar-fine sand clearly works the best when applied at a minimum depth of three inches." - Anthony Calfo, Book of Coral Propagation

That said, I agree that the sand bed should be deeper if possible, but 3" will not be a nitrate factory. I have never had NO3 in my tank since start up with a DSB of a little more than 4 inches.

"For optimum nitrate control, sugar-fine sand clearly works the best when applied at a minimum depth of three inches." - Anthony Calfo, Book of Coral Propagation

Given that quote, I wonder why Tony is always pushing for deeper beds (with no mention of shallower ones) over at RC.

ZaderMatermorts

Because deeper is indeed better :D. Plus aragonite tends to .....erm dissolve in a short time period. So a 3" DSB will turn into a 2" sand bed in a year or so.

Because deeper is indeed better :D. Plus aragonite tends to .....erm dissolve in a short time period. So a 3" DSB will turn into a 2" sand bed in a year or so.

that's not true. your pH needs to be fairly low to ever dissolve aragonite for any sort of buffering that isn't EASILY replenished with even the most lazy of water changers.

the pH needs to be so low, in fact, that your animals will all be dead.

no need to buffer for calcium. just do your water changes!!!

ZaderMatermorts

Hey, he wanted to know why Anthony Calfo doesn't recommend a 3 inch sand bed. That's why. It might be a bit of an exaggeration, but he states that aragonite has a half life of 18 months....

The pH of the water doesn't have to be low, only the local pH in the substrate due to the organic goodies breaking down.

Besides, aragonite can dissolve at a pH of 8.0, unlike crushed coral which will dissolve at pH below 7.6.

nanomano5442

hey I just bought sand 4 my fuge its called mangrove mud its supposed to duplicate coastal envionment perfect for gorwing macroalage and mangrove plants. how deep should it be 3-of-4 inch and will it be good for a deep sand bed?

Archived