ReefCleaners.org

15g + scooter blenny= ?

Rawny804

clifford513

I wouldn't do it. They have a diet similar to a mandarin dragonet. I don't think there would be enough microfauna to support them long term. That's just my opinion. You could always buy pods if you decide to do it. I don't think it is impossible, just high maintenance.

They ARE a dragonet--same genus. Treat just the same: established 100gal minimum.

clifford513
They ARE a dragonet--same genus.

Yeah, they are a dragonet! Guess I should have mentioned that. Thanks for calling me out Caesar777 :P

Treat just the same: established 100gal minimum.

This is a popular opinion. There are a few members on this board who successfully keep mandarins in smaller tanks. Just do a search and read. Research before you decide and if you decide to do it make sure you have everything prepared before purchasing the dragonet.

clifford513
I have a scooter in a 15g its fine eats frozen brine and cyclopez been in there for 2+ years

That's good to hear! :) I am not saying that is recommendable, just doable if that's what your interested in and are dedicated to the preservation of your livestock. Should one not accept substitutes for live food then it could be an expensive endeavor.

And then there is the whole theory that substitute foods only fatten dragonets up, while they slowly die from malnutrition.

Here's my thing: they're a brown Psychedelic Mandarin. Why buy the former when the latter is like 25 bucks?

Yes, some have had success keeping them in smaller tanks, by either feeding them frozen (VERY few take it, and they need something with substance, like frozen mysis, NOT brine) or keeping a large fuge and no other fish that would compete for the same type of food (picking-type wrasses, etc.)... I just don't recommend such a fish to a new reefer; reefing is hard enough as it is! :flower:

clifford513
Here's my thing: they're a brown Psychedelic Mandarin. Why buy the former when the latter is like 25 bucks?

Yes, some have had success keeping them in smaller tanks, by either feeding them frozen (VERY few take it, and they need something with substance, like frozen mysis, NOT brine) or keeping a large fuge and no other fish that would compete for the same type of food (picking-type wrasses, etc.)... I just don't recommend such a fish to a new reefer; reefing is hard enough as it is! :flower:

I agree with you. But, if he does decide to do, at least he will have a clue. And Caesar is right about the wrasses, I had a sixline for a while and it completely decimated my pods.

I have a scooter in a 15g its fine eats frozen brine and cyclopez been in there for 2+ years

Same here, mine's thrived in my 24cube.

formerly icyuodd/icyoud2

i have a scooter in a 23g long (25g sump) he's in there with pipefish (also love the pods)

copepods are never an issue, because i dont ever let them get low enough to become an issue.

live foods can be purchased/raised very easily. theres no excuse for these fish to starve in a 15g other than somebody being lazy :)

Archived