Remora C Skimmer help

Formerly MikeR.

Formerly MikeR.

I have been running this for about two months but i never seem to get very much skimmate....about 1/4 to 1/2 inch per week....what am i doing wrong? i have tried several different adjustments...and ideas from fellow users?

are you cleaning the collection cup pretty well each time you empty it? I have found that a good scrubbing to remove all the solid skimmate really helps things along. i have several different toothbrushes i use to give the cup and lid a good scrubbing each time i empty it.

Also, it is possible that you just don't have that much to skim. What does your bioload look like?

One last thing you could try if the skimmer is old (i.e. you didn't buy it new)you can remove it from your tank and put it in a 5g bucket with a strong mix of vinegar and water. let that run overnight and give all the pieces a good scrubbing. make sure that there is nothing clogging the spray nozzle either. if youy remove that screw inside the skimmer (basically the only screw in sight), you can take a small bottle brush and clean out the nozzle.

hope this helps.

I get about the same skimmate maybe even less, I've only got one fish in the tank, but the skimmate that comes out is the lovely dark color

like Andy said, you might have a small bio-load

Formerly MikeR.

Its a 20 L i have a pair of percs, and a neon goby. skimmate is light, but i think i have a high bio as i cant seem to get my trates down. they stay around 20, even after several H2o changes....cant figure out why.... the last thing i am thinking is due to my fuge (mod ac500) i have about a three inch bed with fiji mud and sand, not sure if this could be the problem.

Go to the Aqua-C web site and ask your question. You'll get an answer asap, fantastic support even if you didn't buy it new. I do think they recommend a minimum tank height of 12.75" for the Remora and 15.75" for the Pro model. That might impact the production since a 20L is only 12" high.

Try adding some Chaeto to your fuge to help lower your nitrates it works wonders.

Archived