Premium Aquatics Aquarium Supplies

heliofungia movement

Smokey Joe

Smokey Joe

I'm considering buying a heliofungia colony for my 20g but am getting all sorts of contradictory information on them.  About half of what I've read indicates they will move about the substrate (and should therefore be boxed in to avoid stinging other corals), while the other half says they're stationary.  Also, how much success have people had with these?  Could they also be placed on rock (why or why not)?  Thanks

No, they won't move.  They have a d*mn heavy skeleton.  They do expand considerably beyond the size of their skeleton however, so you need to allow a few inches on all sides.  With a long tentacle, that would be about 3" since the tentacles will be moving around beyond the diameter the plate's already expanded to.

Also, you need plenty of sandy area for a plate.  The Fungias seem fairly resilient, but one injury on the Heliofungias and that's it.  I kept a gorgeous pink one with a 6" skeleton for about a year, then when I had to move my tank it got a tiny injury to the tissue and continued to recede and die over the next few weeks despite my best efforts (I couldn't get Lugol's but tried everything else).  

Anyway, if you have a good spot for it, can find a specimen in good condition, and won't have to move it, I recommend them highly.  My pink skunk clowns loved that coral.  :)

HTH

(Edited by Kapelakin at 9:17 am on May 21, 2002)

printerdown01

I have read not only fish books that will discuss the movement of the fungis but also scientific journals... Apparently they can move (I HAVE NO IDEA HOW), seems to me that the skeleton would weigh them down as well!! I am also not sold on the idea that all of the fungia spp will move around...

**LOL, just noticed that you wrote that 1/2 the sources you have say that they will move an the other 1/2 says that they won't... guess we didn't help, as now 1/2 the posts say that they are stationary while the other half say that they will walk around... Ok so there are only 2 posts, but I would venture to guess that the pattern will continue... :)

(Edited by printerdown01 at 11:43 pm on May 21, 2002)

Archived