Innovative Marine Aquariums

Nassarius not cleaning the sandbed..

FishMaster1000

FishMaster1000

Whats up guys I have had my tank setup for about 2 months and have recently undergone the Cyano outbreak. It seems to only be on the sandbed, and on half the bed at that. The other side does receive much more flow, and I am sure that is why it is still white and clean. But, why do my Nassarius not touch the cyano? Should I just give it time. I know I am going to end up siphoning it out by the end of the week, I just need more r/o.

Nassarius snails are not herbivores. They're detrivores. Great at "cleaning" the sand in that they stir it up and eat leftover food, but I don't think they eat algae.

I realize that cyano isn't a plant, but I still don't think they eat it. My turbos seem to like it.

darkwaterdevil
Nassarius snails are not herbivores. They're detrivores. Great at "cleaning" the sand in that they stir it up and eat leftover food, but I don't think they eat algae.

I realize that cyano isn't a plant, but I still don't think they eat it. My turbos seem to like it.

mine will sit right on my aglae sheets when i put them in for my blenny and mow down on that

Cyanobacteria = bacteria. Not much will eat it... Reduce nutrients (feeding, stocking, etc.), increase nutrient export (filtration, water changes).

FishMaster1000

See guys, now that is what I assumed from the beginning. But on the description of Nass snails on liveaquaria, it says they will eat cyano. I figured great, whatever cyano I go through in the beginning will be eaten. Well what are you gonnna do. Just going to have to wait this one out. ;) Thanks!

very few things actually eat cyano, The Nass snails should stir up your sand and help keep the cyano from forming, but they are not eating it. Some conchs do actually eat cyano but may not be appropriate for your size tank.

BTW how many Nass snails do you have and what size tank?

I'm pretty sure a fighting conch would clean it right up. I picked one up and it was all gone from the sand bed in the next 2 days.

very few things actually eat cyano, The Nass snails should stir up your sand and help keep the cyano from forming, but they are not eating it. Some conchs do actually eat cyano but may not be appropriate for your size tank.

BTW how many Nass snails do you have and what size tank?

I'm pretty sure a fighting conch would clean it right up. I picked one up and it was all gone from the sand bed in the next 2 days.

How large is your tank, Drew?

Archived