SaltCritters.com

Cold Water Idea

jeremai

I got bored, thought I'd run something by everyone. I have an acrylic 5g hex lying around. Here's the plan:

th_cwidea.gif

The water would overflow on the left to a built-in sump. It would end up flowing under the Iceprobe (in its own acrylic box, and vented at the top), and into the other side of the cabinet, and be pumped back into the tank.

Coolworks says one Iceprobe can chill 10 gallons of fully insulated water 20 degrees. I need it to drop 15 degrees (to 65 from an ambient temperature of 80). The cabinet would be insulated on three sides and the bottom. Would one Iceprobe work for this, or would I need two?

Let me know if something doesn't make sense, or if you have a better idea for the design. Cheers!

Sounds like one will work.

Awesome. brent, I was just reading that DIY skimmer thread of yours, I think I'll try one of those for this. Think the colder water will effect the skimmer any?

put your tank in the refrigerator. :haha: Sorry, could'nt help myself. Anywayz, sounds like a good plan, you should only need one iceprobe. Just buy one and test it and get another if need be.

P.S. go ahead do it :slap:

u= :rant:

me= :scarry:

put your tank in the refrigerator. :haha: Sorry, could'nt help myself. Anywayz, sounds like a good plan, you should only need one iceprobe. Just buy one and test it and get another if need be.

P.S. go ahead do it :slap:

u= :rant:

me= :scarry:

Hehe. Crazy. I am going to do it, just need to figure some things out first. The entire thing is going to be surrounded by an insulated wood cabinet. Is there anyway to waterproof the inside of a wooden box, and still have it be reef-safe? I'd rather not line the entire inside of this thing with acrylic if I don't have to.

grrrrr..... i'm looking for someplace on the east coast. i don't think such a place exists though. oh well. no pacific northwest tank for me :(

I imagine MD and points North would have a lot of the same livestock as the UK. There's a Yahoo! group for col-water UK reefers out there somewhere, may give you some ideas.

blah, the "real ocean" stuff out here sucks. it would probably be interesting up towards ME, but i am really wanting some coldwater pacific anemones. perhaps a trip to washington or oregon is in order :)

brent-konieczny

I'm not sure if the colder water will make a skimmer work better/worse. I'll try to look it up. BTW make the skimmer tube long as possible (you probably knew that already).

Your design in flawed in that you do not want the iceprobe housed inside like that. The probe is the only part that gets cold, the rest of it gets very hot, the fan helps dissapate the hot air.

I'm not sure if the colder water will make a skimmer work better/worse. I'll try to look it up. BTW make the skimmer tube long as possible (you probably knew that already).

How long would you recommend? The tank is 16" High, so I figure the entire setup would run around 22" top to bottom. High enough?

Also, anyone know if there is anyway to waterproof the inside of a wooden box, and still have it be reef-safe? I'd rather not line the entire inside of this thing with acrylic if I don't have to.

Fishfreak218

no... i dont think so... maybe like pond liner for like koi ponds or something... but IMHO it would be a Better idea to just use the acrylic.. then u know it will be safe... and also.. i dont know how well pond liners would hold up under saltwater..

I was thinking the same thing with the pond liner. What about covering the inside surfaces with a layer or four of silicone?

Your design in flawed in that you do not want the iceprobe housed inside like that. The probe is the only part that gets cold, the rest of it gets very hot, the fan helps dissapate the hot air.

It will be vented from above, and surrounded with a thicker acrylic to help with thermal insulation. Do you think there is a better place to put the Iceprobe, while still keeping the finished product looking sleek?

La Jolla. Shh, don't tell anyone.

If you’re in La Jolla, you’ve got to check out some of the cold water setups at Steven Birch Aquarium, if you haven’t already. They have some sweet setups. My favorite is the one with a bunch of Catalina Gobies.

For an insulated tank you could take a regular aquarium of about any size and build a three sided plywood box slightly bigger than the aquarium. Fill in the gap between the glass & the plywood with styrofoam insulation or spray-in expanding foam.

ReefApprentice

You can use plywood and use marine epoxy resin from your LBS (local boating store heheh). 3 sides plywood and one side acrlic

Thanks guys. A friend of mine is an aquarist at Birch, so I'm very familiar with the aquarium :)

I was looking for an all-in-one design, hence the use of the hex and the space in the back as a sump, but a box with one acrylic viewing panel and a false back is a simpler option, I guess.

The epoxy is OK to use in a reef setup, right? Not harmful to anything?

Bumbity bumb. Anyone know about the epoxy? I've done some searching and found it is inert once cured; anyone have any experience?

RayWhisperer

All's I can say is I've got a buddy who builds wood tanks. He uses pool epoxy, it's a two part mix. He then mixes in dye to get whatever backgound color he desires. Although, I think that stuff is pretty pricey, and only comes in gallon buckets.

Ray: Awesome, that's what I was leaning toward. A gallon would probably be all I need - but I need the insulation factor of wood, so I don't have to get two Ice Probes with controllers.

Mr. Fosi: it's an acrylic tank. But there will be almost no measurable humidity in Las Vegas for the next eight months, so it wouldn't really be a problem. :)

Archived